• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Champagne celebrations in baseball

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this time and time again on the espn message board, to do a champagne party after each early round is sooo dumb. Making the playoffs, World Series, and winning the World Series should be the only time in baseball. No other sport does this dumbshit.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if a team did a champagne party after winning the one game playoff LOL

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've said this time and time again on the espn message board, to do a champagne party after each early round is sooo dumb. Making the playoffs, World Series, and winning the World Series should be the only time in baseball. No other sport does this dumbshit.

Teams celebrate after playoff wins in football and basketball.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't do it with a champagne party. When Miami beat the pacers in gm 7 to reach the finals, they didn't bag up the locker room and celebrated like it was the nba finals. I hate when baseball teams do this. It's probably just me.....but I don't care.....it's just looks dumb

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer to your question is very simple.

They celebrate because they just made a bigger pay day.

Under the current collective bargaining agreement, the players receive 60% of gate receipts in required games. All of the proceeds are put into a fund, which is not distributed until after the postseason is completed. Those profits are then split according to this formula:

World Series Winner 36%

World Series Loser 24%

League Championship Series Losers (2) 24%

Division Series Losers (4) 12%

Non-Wild Card Second Place Teams (4) 4%

Who Profits From Baseball's Postseason? - Forbes

What does that mean? Even if you make the playoffs and get swept 0-4, you get a share of the pot. Might as well have a drink. :suds:

And of course, not to be forgotten is that some individual players always have incentives for postseason play in their contracts, but the big reason for the champagne bath is advancing equals bigger pay out. I'd probably celebrate too.

:yahoo:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what's up with teams wearing fucking Goggles when they celebrate now? Has there really been an epidemic of champagne related injuries from these celebrations?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what's up with teams wearing fucking Goggles when they celebrate now? Has there really been an epidemic of champagne related injuries from these celebrations?

They use the goggles because the champagne stings & burns the shit out of your eyes along with the beer, dont forget that it's alcohol going in to your eyes :nod:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They use the goggles because the champagne stings & burns the shit out of your eyes along with the beer, dont forget that it's alcohol going in to your eyes :nod:

yeah, i get that. I'm just saying they should stop being pussies and risk a little discomfort to their eyes and not run around looking like Chuck Muncie at the Playboy mansion.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have a champagne celebration every time I shit. It's spectacular.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say leave'em drink! A good champagne celebration after a hard fought series is good for the spirit.

And another thing. How about more of the red, white, and blue bunting draped around the stadiums to stress the importance of post season games. I've seen a little of it in a few games so far.