• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cards Post Game Thread

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that sucked but it wasn't as bad as the opener where we played at home and were never in the game. This one turned on the sack fumble, the OL was brutal yesterday.

It was also one of those games where we ran into a hot QB. Many of those big plays and conversions were covered well, Palmer just fit them into tight spaces. In some case really tight spaces.

The defense sucked but, this just in, our defense sucks. It was up to the offense to keep pace and they didn't quite do it.

If I see one more fucking fade pattern in the red zone I'm sending McVay a letterbomb.

Good to hear Gruden got after them. This wasn't the embarrassment of the opener but things like all the sloppy offensive penalties deserved his wrath.

Good to see our kicker return to form.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny Benton...

The Washington Redskins (6-5-1) received their second straight loss Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals (5-6-1) and it proved to be very costly. With this loss, the Redskins would be out of the playoffs if it were to begin today. Not only that, but the loss helped the Dallas Cowboys clinch a playoff berth. Below we'll breakdown what happened using our pre-film review game notes.

Offense:

• I'm not going to be the guy to refuel the anti-Cousins bus, but this was a down game for him. Kirk Cousins made several nice throws, including the 59-yard bomb to DeSean Jackson and the Jamison Crowder touchdown. He also faced a lot of pressure, including the final play that resulted in an interception. But he had his share of errant passes in this game. Not to mention, I think we'll look back and realize that some of the pressure could have been negated had Cousins diagnosed the direction of the free rushers. That includes the final play that resulted in an interception. That was the dagger. But a more accurate ball to Crowder would have resulted in a huge gain. There was no one near the big-play receiver.

• The offensive line missed Trent Williams' leadership and on-field swagger Sunday. I say that as a further indictment on Williams whose suspension should and has been viewed as selfish. He'll be back next week and it'll be interesting to see what the team does up front. Center Spencer Long left with a concussion against the Cardinals, while Morgan Moses continues to play injured. Not to mention, Ty Nsekhe has been a little banged up. Most notably, however, Shawn Lauvao has been a glorified revolving door at left guard. This has led many to speculate Trent Williams sliding into the left guard spot with Nsekhe playing well. I still consist that it is unlikely that happens. Jay Gruden is a big fan of Lauvao. But apparently, Gruden was extremely upset with this game and Lauvao's allowed strip-sack was an extremely costly play. That alone could force Gruden to re-evaluate.

• Rookie RB Robert Kelley had several nice runs in this game. But I do think it's time to admit that he isn't a natural ball catcher.

• The Redskins were out-coached in this game. They were flat from the start and were unable to adjust. The redzone playcalling also continues to fail. The fade to DeSean Jackson against Patrick Peterson is a play that just proves how inept they can be at calling plays in the redzone.

Defense:

• Trent Murphy had a huge sack which created a missed FG attempt for Arizona. It was a big play to keep points off the board. He did a nice job using his hands to get around the right tackle. However, the Redskins only had one other sack despite facing a suspect offensive line that allowed quarterback Carson Palmer to face heavy pressure in recent games.

• Rookie Su'a Cravens had such a tough task in this game shadowing David Johnson. I don't think Cravens did a bad job. Johnson just out balled him and the entire defense, finishing with 175 yards, 10 receptions and the go-ahead 25-yard touchdown catch. The Redskins did hold the Cardinals to 3.7 yards per attempt on 24 carries, but Arizona converted 10 of 16 third down chances.

• Star Corner Josh Norman made some noise uphill with some big delayed blitzes and tackles. He was also flagged for holding on Arizona's final TD drive, but the call was questionable at best.

• For the most part, this defense as a whole just wasn't good enough in this game. Honestly, they simply weren't good. It started on the first drive where they allowed the Cardinals to march 75 yards down the field on 15 plays milking over 8 minutes off the clock. But it should be noted that the defense forced three consecutive three and outs after that drive. Washington's offense was only able to score 6 points in the first half. The defense gave this team a chance to win in the first half of this game. They just were not able to capitalize. But at the end of the day, allowing a team to have 10-16 third down conversions while only converting 5-11 of your own isn't a winning formula

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned before about the possibility of keeping Sullivan at C and moving Long back to LG temporarily. Might be moot as Long is currently in concussion protocol.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins are an 8/9 win team with the personnel they have. No surprise here.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fade tho...grrrrrr

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:shocked: Brian Mitchell pulling no punches...

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny on Trent...

The Washington Redskins' four-time pro bowl Left Tackle Trent Williams was playing at an All-Pro level prior to his four game suspension. We discussed what Williams' suspension could mean for the team after the news broke. For the most part, I think Ty Nsekhe did a nice job in his place. He wasn't a wreck-show and there weren't many plays where he was just flat-out beat. But I do believe the Washington Redskins missed Trent Williams.

The first area you can point to is the record. Washington has gone 2-2 without Trent Williams in the fold. Now, of course, you could say those losses weren't due to poor play at the left tackle position. But that's besides the point.

One of the notes I brought up when the news broke about his suspension was the ground game. I think the ground game was affected the most. If you subtract the 66 yard garbage-time run Robert Kelley had against the Green Bay Packers three weeks ago, the team would have gone four games without having a 100 yard rusher. You can attribute that to whatever you'd like. But the fact is the Redskins run game, while effective, hasn't consistently been good.

One area you could point to is the fact Washington ranked second in the league prior to Trent Williams' suspension with Left End runs (40). They were averaging five left end runs a game for an average of 5.65 yards per carry. That was a key part of their offense. Without Williams, the Redskins have run left end 10 times in four games. There's a clear discrepancy there. Those left end plays helped setup bootlegs and screens, which is something else the Redskins haven't done as much without Williams. The team has missed his athleticism on the edge.

The Redskins also has missed Williams' leadership and off-field swagger. Their recent loss against the Arizona Cardinals, in my opinion, was an example of that. I've seen Williams roaming the sidelines plenty times when his teammates would become frustrated. I recall seeing Williams go encourage QB Kirk Cousins once after throwing an interception earlier this season. On the next offensive drive, Cousins threw a touchdown. I'm not giving all the credit to Williams there. But it's an observation and example of his leadership. In the locker room after the big Week 11 win against the Packers, players were excited about winning two straight without Williams. Their belief was that they'd be even better when he returns.

This week, they will get their wish. Trent Williams has been freed. But one thing to monitor will be if the Redskins consider to do some shuffling among their offensive line. There's a group of fans and media alike who believe the team should consider sliding Trent Williams at left guard. This notion stems from the lackluster performance of Shawn Lauvao this season and the impressive play from swing tackle Ty Nsekhe. While it's not a terrible idea, I still maintain the thought that it won't happen and probably shouldn't happen. It's too late in the season. You'd be asking your star Left Tackle to do something he's barely done in his entire career. Not to mention, as alluded to above, the Redskins' offense expands with Williams on the edge. His athleticism allows you to do even more as an offense.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not move Nsekhe to guard?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not move Nsekhe to guard?

Well they are going to have to do something. Lauvao looked like a 12 year old facing Yokozuna on that Sack fumble.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fade tho...grrrrrr

Reading the comments section, if true, the fade works less than 20% of the time league wide which is something I have noticed. Here it's obviously working 0% of the time. Unbelievable.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word has it that nsexy to LG is a strong possibility

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word has it that nsexy to LG is a strong possibility
Isn't he like 6'8"? If so, that's way too tall to play guard. Not only would it be a vision issue for cousins, but he would struggle to get low enough on most NTs.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trevor matich says that is the plan

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he like 6'8"? If so, that's way too tall to play guard. Not only would it be a vision issue for cousins, but he would struggle to get low enough on most NTs.

You aren't 6'8" if you are low man and have your knees bent. Besides Sonny said many times you look through the lanes.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plays more likely to work than a back-corner fade to the speed wr against an all pro cornerback:

two straight gut runs
two straight qb sneaks
ANY slant to your biggest wr - Maurice Harris?
ANY slant to your toughest wr - Garcon?
bubble screen to vernon davis

Jesus Christo! That was one of many, many poor coaching decisions.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plays more likely to work than a back-corner fade to the speed wr against an all pro cornerback:

two straight gut runs
two straight qb sneaks
ANY slant to your biggest wr - Maurice Harris?
ANY slant to your toughest wr - Garcon?
bubble screen to vernon davis

Jesus Christo! That was one of many, many poor coaching decisions.

I agree with your post 100% but I also believe the team (players) played like crap.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your post 100% but I also believe the team (players) played like crap.

Yeah when you start the game by getting it run down your throat, then answer that scoring drive with brain fart penalties on 2 of your first 3 offensive plays and go 3 and out I can't put it all on the coaches.

As for LG I am hearing just the opposite: Jay wants one of the game's top left tackles to play left tackle. With Ty barely able to walk and Moses also hurting it makes sense.