• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cardinals Get Bourjos

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, Ken Rosenthall is reporting that that the Cards have just picked up Peter Bourjos & a prospect from the Angels, in exchange for David Freese & RP Fernando Salas.

This move puts Bourjos in CF for them, opens up 2B for Kolton Wong & moves Matt Carpenter to 3B full time.

Pretty nice moves for them & they didn't give up much, in my opinion.

Sigh... Gotta give their Front Office credit. They are pretty good.

However, so is ours.

Let's get to work.

Burgh

Last edited by a moderator:

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Above post should read Ken Rosenthal is reporting.

Noticed I spelled his name wrong. to late to edit.

Burgh

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Peter Bourjos really that nice of a move?

Carpenter to 3rd really leaves the Cardinals desiring a power bat.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move is good if Bourjos is their 4th OF, or another option outside of Jay. I'm assuming they'll need to replace Beltran in RF, right? Agree with moving Freese though, definitely a move to open a spot for Wong.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move for them, Freese had no future there, as they had better options, and Jay probably is better suited to a platoon or a corner spot.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Cardinals have Oscar Taveras to plug in. He's one of the top prospects in baseball. He's a centerfielder who probably would've played at some point in 2013 if he hadn't hurt his ankle. He'll take Beltran's spot and possibly perform as well as Beltran did.
Jay and Bourjos can rotate in and out of the lineup, they'll get a comp pick for losing Beltran. Craig and Holliday provide big outfield bats.
Wong is a well-regarded prospect who takes over at 2B, Carpenter to 3B, they just signed Peralta to play SS, Allen plays 1B and they've got the best Catcher in the league. Their pitching staff is young and talented.

We didn't have as much talent as the Cardinals anyways, but this is getting worse all the time.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bourjos splits are pretty much even but he doesn't get on base like Freese did, but does give them more options in the OF with Jay and a lefty/righty option. His OBP could change with a chance to play like a few years back.

With Peralta in the mix and the fact when Adams plays they can move Craig to the OF, they will still have a very good team.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards made some upgrades, but they're not going to be significantly better this year than last. Taveras is a big prospect but giving him Beltran's spot and saying he'll perform that well? That's like us penciling in Polanco already and saying he'll hit .300 or something crazy. I think they lost some OF talent, but their IF will be a bit better. They essentially (at this point without more signings) have replaced Freese with Peralta, put Wong into Kozma's spot, Kozma to the bench, and Bourjos in Beltran's. Potential to be big improvements, but I'm not sold on Peralta's bat. I'll simply call them upgrades, not major improvements. But if their young staff improves in any way, then look out.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards made some upgrades, but they're not going to be significantly better this year than last. Taveras is a big prospect but giving him Beltran's spot and saying he'll perform that well? That's like us penciling in Polanco already and saying he'll hit .300 or something crazy. I think they lost some OF talent, but their IF will be a bit better. They essentially (at this point without more signings) have replaced Freese with Peralta, put Wong into Kozma's spot, Kozma to the bench, and Bourjos in Beltran's. Potential to be big improvements, but I'm not sold on Peralta's bat. I'll simply call them upgrades, not major improvements. But if their young staff improves in any way, then look out.

I would never call it a big improvements but they truly are making moves to deal with not having Beltran next year and still be very talented.

The NL Central again will be a tough one with the Cards and then the Reds improving by the lone fact they got rid of Dusty.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I would say Bourjos is a major improvement over Jay.
Carpenter is an improvement over Freeze.
Wong will be better defensively than Carpenter and an improvement offen sively over Kozma.
If you think Beltran is going to regress then the combination of Peralta and Taveras is at worst a push for what Beltran would have offered, with better defense.
You also have to think that they aren't done either, they have 2 players who's only position is 1B. They could build a package around either of them and one of their young pitchers to go get just about anyone they want, including David Price.
I honestly don't think they are concerned at all with anyone in the NL Central, they are positiining for a WS win, and I also feel they are making a lot of the correct moves to do that.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ WIth Adams and Craig they could have both in the lineup if they truly wanted during certain games with their pitchers and matchups. Craig has played half his games in the OF, not a great OF but good enough that his and Adams bats with the other improved defense could make up for the difference. Also Craig is pretty even hitting against Right handed and left handed pitching so it is doable for them.

I totally agree they are looking at the WS not just playoffs or the NL Central. That is my concern with the Pirates is if any improvements occur is it just to make the playoffs or want to go further? I know they will state to win the WS but we will know by the moves they make the reality of it.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the cards are going to have the best starting pitching in MLB next year if everyone is healthy. their BP will be in top 5.

their defense is improved, but they still don't have any arms in the outfield and below average speed overall in the OF. carpenter wasn't great at 2nd and not sure the others are more than average except molina. their best defensive player - kozma- is out and will go to the minors.

on offense, they are relying on 2 prospects, PED peralta who has also benefitted with hitter friendly parks, hope their stratospheric RISP average continues, and molina hits over his head.

no speed and not much power especially now that beltran is gone.

pitching will carry them and losing beltran in their lineup is big. his bat and his eye really helped the rest of their lineup. not sure they can replace that with normal regression for their key performers from last year.