• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Captain Marvel (2019)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, now that I'm thinking about my own statement

I think it does hurt the first Avengers movie and maybe Infinity Wars.

There is no way Thanos attacks earth with Captain Marvel around. Carol single-handedly deals with the nuclear attack and destroys multiple space ships and sends Ronin away with a warning. The entire invasion of earth would be based around dealing with Captain Marvel. Nick Fury definitely would've used his pager to get Captain Marvel at an earlier time.

There was already a really strong woman in the MCU - Scarlet Witch. Captain Marvel seems to be on the same level as something like the Infinity Gauntlet or Thors Ax. Captain Marvel in the MCU is kinda problematic. I guess its a good thing its wrapping up because a character at that power level kills it.

That doesn't make her overpowered. She's presented as basically the same power level as Thor, and Thor got his ass kicked by Thanos.

She flies. Thor flies.

She projects energy blasts from her body. Thor did plenty of that in Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Carol didn't tank an explosion from Ronan's missiles. She caught a missile and threw it back at the other missiles, making them explode. Thor tanked a star while forging Stormbreaker in Infinity War.

Carol destroyed spaceships by ramming through them with her body. Thor also destroyed spaceships by ramming through them with his body during the Battle of Wakanda.

Last edited:

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't make her overpowered. She's presented as basically the same power level as Thor, and Thor got his ass kicked by Thanos.

She flies. Thor flies.

She projects energy blasts from her body. Thor did plenty of that in Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Carol didn't tank an explosion from Ronan's missiles. She caught a missile and threw it back at the other missiles, making them explode. Thor tanked a star while forging Stormbreaker in Infinity War.

Carol destroyed spaceships by ramming through them with her body. Thor also destroyed spaceships by ramming through them with his body during the Battle of Wakanda.

Kevin Feige has already stated that Captain Marvel will be the most powerful Avenger we’ve seen so far.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Feige has already stated that Captain Marvel will be the most powerful Avenger we’ve seen so far.

Maybe he was hyping up the movie. So far, we haven't seen her doing anything that Thor couldn't do, except maybe space flying. She might be a better/faster flyer, but IMO Thor's thunder is stronger than her energy blasts. They have different strengths in their power levels.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carol is powered by an Infinity Gem. And she should be well below that power level standard. I wouldn't say Thor himself can come anywhere close to one of the six fundamental forces of the MCU. He's a powerful godling, and he has help with magical weapons. But he's not a universal level force like Carol is supposed to be.

Captain Marvel is basically Disney showing DC how to do Superman better.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are comparing Pratt to probably the most attractive men in the world right now? (no homo)
This is so gay

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carol is powered by an Infinity Gem. And she should be well below that power level standard. I wouldn't say Thor himself can come anywhere close to one of the six fundamental forces of the MCU. He's a powerful godling, and he has help with magical weapons. But he's not a universal level force like Carol is supposed to be.

Captain Marvel is basically Disney showing DC how to do Superman better.
I don't really know much about all this... But would that put her about even with pre-war Strange and Vision, then?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it opening night. It was pretty good.

Considering taking my daughter, but Goose looks just like my cat and I don't want to give her nightmares of the cat eating her.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know much about all this... But would that put her about even with pre-war Strange and Vision, then?
Vision was straight up avatar-ing an Infinity Gem. He was about as uber as anyone could get. Dr. Strange too. Anyone in possession of a gem itself would be off the charts powerful.

Carol (And MCU Scarlet Witch) would be well below that, being a creation of a gem, rather than possessing it outright.

Reactions: gob

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie wasn't half bad I think it could have done without the minor SJW making men feel look like assholes

especially for the fight scene at the end or lack there of. I think they really made her too strong especially how she just flew into space and started crushing Ronins space ships like nothing. I think they will scale back her powers once she joins up with the avengers

Why would they scale back the powers of supposedly the most powerful Avenger?

Still not going to be an easy fight against Thanos and his multiple infinity stones, but I'm sure they'll have to work as a team rather than just a one woman wrecking crew.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good movie.

Peep will cry over anything.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good movie.

Peep will cry over anything.

do you think its too much to handle for an 8 year old with a cat that looks exactly like Goose?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think its too much to handle for an 8 year old with a cat that looks exactly like Goose?
Nah, the cat is a hero, and spends more time as a comedic tool than anything frightening.

My 7 year old laughed hysterically at Goose. Though we don't have a cat.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It depends on the kid but I'd say nah. We have a cat and my 8 year old son cracked up about the cat in the movie. That was like his favorite part.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vision was straight up avatar-ing an Infinity Gem. He was about as uber as anyone could get. Dr. Strange too. Anyone in possession of a gem itself would be off the charts powerful.
Apparently the way to beat a guy named Vision is to ambush him.

Captain Marvel getting ambushed early in her own movie also apparently seems to maybe be toying around with her powers because one of her abilities is supposed to be like Spider Sense. That maybe can be justified by her having limits on her power, though.

Captain Marvel is definitely one of those characters that can be as strong or weak as the writer wants to make her. To my knowledge, her comic limits are only defined by comic book science and whether or not 'magic' has special properties.

Honestly, any Infinity stones getting captured is just convenient writing. Its one of my beefs with Infinity Wars. Its basically just 'lets have Thanos win because we need him to' the movie.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These threads should be created on release of the film with a 1-10 voting option for people to vote/rate the film. Just a thought lol.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the way to beat a guy named Vision is to ambush him.

Captain Marvel getting ambushed early in her own movie also apparently seems to maybe be toying around with her powers because one of her abilities is supposed to be like Spider Sense. That maybe can be justified by her having limits on her power, though.

Captain Marvel is definitely one of those characters that can be as strong or weak as the writer wants to make her. To my knowledge, her comic limits are only defined by comic book science and whether or not 'magic' has special properties.

Honestly, any Infinity stones getting captured is just convenient writing. Its one of my beefs with Infinity Wars. Its basically just 'lets have Thanos win because we need him to' the movie.

but her powers can be limited by a chip on her neck

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
she removed the chip. that was why she was so explosive in the end.

Even Thor was limited by some chip on his neck. Maybe they just need a few chips for Thanos rather than a more powerful Avenger...