• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Captain Marvel (2019)

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main problem with the movie is the same problem the Superman movies have, she’s so overpowered that the movie loses all tension.

I mean yes we know the good guys are gonna win in the end anyway but when you have such an overpowered character the movie suffers for it.

It was better than some MCU movies(Dr. Strange for sure) but I’d give it about a 7/10.

agreed. it's not so much a complaint for the movie (saw it last night) , but just an issue they will have to tread carefully for endgame

case of overpower issues heading into endgame was the scene at end where she obliterates one of Ronans ships like it was nothing. cool visual and ronans reaction was priceless but if she can do that then wowzers 2nd....the intro with Stan Lee in place of usual characters along with the thank you stan was awesome. our entire crowd clapped for that

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I am reading that this movie is getting crushed with rough reviews

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so. The invasion storyline where all the hero’s were replaced by shapeshifters...

It really is too bad they fucked up the fantastic 4 reboot. Kind of sucks how the marvel king of all comics has become so forgotten.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's simply not true. It's getting very good reviews.

It's currently at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is quite high.

I really do not believe the overall percentage score I prefer just to read the audience/user reviews on both rotten tomatoes and IMDB. I don't like listening to critics because they can be paid off. The average joe watching the movie has been slamming the movie. Im not trying to bash it I am going to watch it myself, I am just pointing out what I saw in the audience reviews

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not believe the overall percentage score I prefer just to read the audience/user reviews on both rotten tomatoes and IMDB. I don't like listening to critics because they can be paid off. The average joe watching the movie has been slamming the movie. Im not trying to bash it I am going to watch it myself, I am just pointing out what I saw in the audience reviews

Is there an averagejoereviews.com??

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this was the wrong time to bring her in, she’s such a god with power she’s going to make Thanos look like a little bitch.

In my opinion what should’ve happened is now that we know the Fox-Disney merger is going through I would’ve waited until they do an MCU Fantastic Four and then bring her in to fight the Galactus. Now he’s a worthy foe and it would be a lot closer of a matchup than her vs Thanos.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so. The invasion storyline where all the hero’s were replaced by shapeshifters...

Never heard about it, never read it.

I don't claim to be some Marvel comic know-it-all that compares them against the films... my opinions are simply based on the movies themselves. Maybe that helps explain a bit, shapeshifting is nothing amazing or special to me.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway as for my thoughts on the movie. I actually thought it was solid. There were moments where the acting was suspect. It DEFINITELY felt like Larson was struggling (either her acting inclination or directing) with displaying emotions and I don't mean that in the sense of some feminist rendition of choosing strength over vulnerability even though there did appear to be some cases of that. It was more about overacting or underacting in the emotions that she DID show. The CGI was typical of what to expect out of Marvel, BUT there were a few scenes where I thought they probably could have done better. Jude Law was solid. Jackson was mostly solid. The biggesting issues lie in the story I feel.

All in all, solid movie. Not the best, not the worst in my opinion. Probably give it a 7/10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and I felt that some of the jokes were solid, tried and true jokes... but they fell flat due to how it either came about or was displayed in some manner. Felt like they left a lot on the table.

It also left me with a bunch of questions.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the placement of the movie was good there aren't any other movies going on for the month of march, Red State looks like a pretty good movie with John Goodman but it seems like the entire month of march is them trying to get people to watch the movie.

I am giving this a chance it may not be a game changer like Black Panther, Iron man, and Guardians of the Galaxy but Marvel needs a woman figure because I don't think Black Widow will get her own movie

nothing game changing about any of those movies.

Marvel didn't need anything other than to make good movies and stay out of SJW bs.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of those audience reviews are fake, posted before the movie was ever released, written by people who were bashing the movie without actually seeing it because they hate the actress or the character. At least critics sign their real name to their reviews. Bad audience reviews are really easy to fake by just making a bunch of gimmick accounts.

This whole "audience hates the movie" story is such a fake narrative.

I'm an average Joe who's seen the movie, and I liked it. @jeffro151 also posted in this thread that he liked it. Both @Duffman and @Blackshirts BLVD gave it a 7/10 in their posts. @BigFin gave it a B+. So of the people who have actually seen the movie in this thread, no one is slamming it.

Last edited:

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of those audience reviews are fake, posted before the movie was ever released, written by people who were bashing the movie without actually seeing it because they hate the actress or the character.

At least critics sign their real name to their reviews. Bad audience reviews are really easy to fake by just making a bunch of gimmick accounts.

This whole "audience hates the movie" story is such a fake narrative.

I'm an average Joe who's seen the movie, and I liked it. @jeffro151 also posted in this thread that he liked it. Both @Duffman and @Blackshirts BLVD gave it a 7/10 in their posts. @BigFin gave it a B+. So of the people who have actually seen the movie in this thread, no one is slamming it.

Sad part is that RT was actually removing bad reviews. Sure, I absolutely would agree that trolls are... well trolling given the things Larson has said, but I doubt every review is a troll and I think it is one sided... after all I HIGHLY doubt RT is removing anyone that trolled the trollers with a great review.

Nonetheless, yes, I enjoyed it. Nothing spectacular, but pretty solid. I am not sure if I went in with low expectations because I had watched reviews people gave (even posted one in here that I watched) but after the first viewing I say 7/10. lol

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel Studios's Captain Marvel delivered a healthy $20.7 million from Thursday evening previews last night, ranking as the fifth largest preview gross for an MCU title. On average, preview grosses account for 30% of the opening day for a film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which would suggest Captain Marvel is headed toward a $70 million opening day while the last three films in the MCU saw preview grosses account for, on average, 35% of the opening day, which would suggest something close to a $60 million opening day. Should the film hold to those averages we'd be looking at a three-day debut ranging from $135-$175+ million based on past performances.

Eyes Turn to 'Captain Marvel' to Give the 2019 Box Office a Boost - Box Office Mojo

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard about it, never read it.

I don't claim to be some Marvel comic know-it-all that compares them against the films... my opinions are simply based on the movies themselves. Maybe that helps explain a bit, shapeshifting is nothing amazing or special to me.
I don’t read either. I tried to get into Marvel back in the early ‘90s, but it just didn’t take. I am interested in the storylines, however, so I am somewhat familiar with major arcs. At least to a passing level.

This storyline has been used in a few cartoons, “Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes”, for one.