• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calling the season today

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With another fetid "offensive" performance today, its over for me in 23.

Curious how many are still in Stage 1 and how many have made it to Stage 5

I'm in Stage 2:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure to skip Stage 3 and go right to Stage 4.

Should be in Stage 5 by Halloween.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With another fetid "offensive" performance today, its over for me in 23.

Curious how many are still in Stage 1 and how many have made it to Stage 5

I'm in Stage 2:

I said a few weeks ago if they don't start hitting they will miss the playoffs. So far looking pretty accurate.

No reason to declare it impossible though, just feels like it will go that way. They are still right there with almost 30 games left, although too many of those are vs the Dodgers.

I'll keep hoping they figure it out but won't be surprised if they don't.

For all the details of what went down at the trade deadline, my take is still that FZ fucked up not getting a bat or two. Wasted a lot of good pitching not going for it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said a few weeks ago if they don't start hitting they will miss the playoffs. So far looking pretty accurate.

No reason to declare it impossible though, just feels like it will go that way. They are still right there with almost 30 games left, although too many of those are vs the Dodgers.

I'll keep hoping they figure it out but won't be surprised if they don't.

For all the details of what went down at the trade deadline, my take is still that FZ fucked up not getting a bat or two. Wasted a lot of good pitching not going for it.
So you're stage 3, skipping stage 4?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're stage 3, skipping stage 4?
I'm not even at stage 1 yet...or rather, I'm at whatever stage is "don't think we will make it but not convinced we for sure won't". It's still in play to me.

I won't be doing stage 1-4, this stuff doesn't affect me emotionally the way it did when I was younger and single and we hadn't yet won a few rings.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even at stage 1 yet...or rather, I'm at whatever stage is "don't think we will make it but not convinced we for sure won't". It's still in play to me.

I won't be doing stage 1-4, this stuff doesn't affect me emotionally the way it did when I was younger and single and we hadn't yet won a few rings.
I feel like writing the team off after every loss but have to remind myself that they are still in the race. However, I have my doubts that they can pull it off.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like writing the team off after every loss but have to remind myself that they are still in the race. However, I have my doubts that they can pull it off.
I'm basically the same. Not sure they will miss but thinking they probably will. Was a lot more confident obviously before the hitting evaporated.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in stage 1. I can taste the playoffs.
Still have a shot, it's not like they are 5 games back or whatever. But the clock is running out and the hitting is nowhere in sight.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice other teams hitting bombs, and the Giants? Not so much.

Another pathetic offensive showing today. Truly awful.

Has Haniger had a hit since coming off the DL?

I thought Pedo was supposed to be some kind of HR hitter. I guess not.

On the plus side, Winn pitched very well!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice other teams hitting bombs, and the Giants? Not so much.

Another pathetic offensive showing today. Truly awful.

Has Haniger had a hit since coming off the DL?

I thought Pedo was supposed to be some kind of HR hitter. I guess not.

On the plus side, Winn pitched very well!
Haniger is 1 for 12 (a triple) with 1 walk and 6 Ks since being activated, after going 1 for 17 with a walk and 2 Ks in 5 rehab games with the RiverCats. Clearly, his bat was needed so badly that they didn't even get close to the 20 day max on rehab assignments. He is an obvious improvement over Ramos and Matos.

DeJong, meanwhile, is now 3 for 30 with no (!) walks and 13 Ks. Remove that first game and he is 0 for 25.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are now one of four teams tied for the 3rd wild card spot. The Padres are 5.5 out. If the Giants had even shown up to the series in Sandy Waffle, they could have buried the Friars. It was not to be.

Are our expectations too high? I mean, did the 107 win season warp our thinking? I don't think so. This team SHOULD at least make the wild card, but if (when) they don't, who's to blame? The line starts at stage left....

The kids have played OK, with Bailey being the best so far. But he is carrying a load of responsibility and may be wearing down. It is hard to be a rookie in the MLB. Injuries have played a part. But the most disappointing has been the hitting as a whole. Wade has not performed well. Conforto and Haniger have been below expectations. Pedo is a disaster. Slater left his bat at home for over a month. Crawford is wheezing around 3rd, heading for home for the last time. If any of the vets had actually had a decent season at the plate, this might be different.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 107 season didn’t warp MY expectations. The 107 season never made sense. In my programming, if something happens that has no explanation, I call it a “burp”. It just is, and it can’t be recreated. Keep an eye out for that behavior in the future, but don’t let it effect your actions moving forward. That’s what the 107 season was for me. A burp. But it was a burp that empowered the FO. And it delayed what SHOULD have been a full rebuild.

I said it at the time and I stand behind it…

107 was just about the worst thing that could have happened to this org.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 teams effectively tied for 3rd wild card, 3 literally so LOL

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t know where to drop this so…

:heh:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. I thought he'd be a decent trolling addition to the Cains next year too....ah, well. Our loss is Yokohama's gain.

Julio Cain....#nevergiant

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are now one of four teams tied for the 3rd wild card spot. The Padres are 5.5 out. If the Giants had even shown up to the series in Sandy Waffle, they could have buried the Friars. It was not to be.

Are our expectations too high? I mean, did the 107 win season warp our thinking? I don't think so. This team SHOULD at least make the wild card, but if (when) they don't, who's to blame? The line starts at stage left....

The kids have played OK, with Bailey being the best so far. But he is carrying a load of responsibility and may be wearing down. It is hard to be a rookie in the MLB. Injuries have played a part. But the most disappointing has been the hitting as a whole. Wade has not performed well. Conforto and Haniger have been below expectations. Pedo is a disaster. Slater left his bat at home for over a month. Crawford is wheezing around 3rd, heading for home for the last time. If any of the vets had actually had a decent season at the plate, this might be different.
Visiting this late, and with the perspective of hindsight, but I'm going to argue that injuries is not much of a factor as to what did this team in, at least in terms of guys on the IL. Right now, the Giants are only missing Brandon Crawford on the hitting side. This lineup has been as healthy as it has ever been and is hitting arguably as poorly as it ever has this season (although I have not bothered to compare April with September). I may do an analysis after the season to see who spent time on the IL and their impact.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think out of our 2023 team, I keep hearing Roy Orbison’s hit “It’s Over”