• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Byrd and Buck

tsmbaseball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the trade, but I understand why you have to make it. That 'flags fly forever' sentiment is really applicable, which is why Pittsburgh just dealt for Morneau too. They upgraded an abysmal right field with Byrd, which would have been a gaping hole in that lineup in the playoffs.

Herrera could be a hell of a ball player in the middle of a diamond, but he's still three or four years away from production by most experts analysis.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but just think if we packaged presley, black, herrera, welker, and maybe 1 lower level pitching prospect stud.
could we have gotten a 1B that was young and could fit longterm.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but just think if we packaged presley, black, herrera, welker, and maybe 1 lower level pitching prospect stud.
could we have gotten a 1B that was young and could fit longterm.

First base is not the position you dump a lot of ta lented prospects into to find a long term solution. It is a place you take the best hitter in your own system that doesn't have a defined defensive position and put them there.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First base is not the position you dump a lot of ta lented prospects into to find a long term solution. It is a place you take the best hitter in your own system that doesn't have a defined defensive position and put them there.

with the arms in our IF, it is nice to have someone like gabby who can scoop.

has saved us many errors and unearned runs this year.

but i get your point. i was just trying to say, instead of getting rentals, i would rather package our assets for a lasting player of impact in a need position rather than spread those assets out, lose them, and still have the same hole next year and the year after.

whether 1B, SS, RF, C, 2B, Ace, .....

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
with the arms in our IF, it is nice to have someone like gabby who can scoop.

has saved us many errors and unearned runs this year.

but i get your point. i was just trying to say, instead of getting rentals, i would rather package our assets for a lasting player of impact in a need position rather than spread those assets out, lose them, and still have the same hole next year and the year after.

whether 1B, SS, RF, C, 2B, Ace, .....

I would agree with you on this point, I would much rather have a long term piefe instead of a rental, unfirtunately there were none available this year. However, depending on whom you choose to believe, the Pirates either did or did not try very hard to deal for Giancarlo Stanton.