• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BU to the cowboys?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets watch together

lets go to 1:10, watch the interception, look where Urlacher is. thats about 40 yards downfield. Thats where HE played more than ANY OTHER MIDDLE LINEBACKER.

now lets go to 1:45, watch the bullshit I "made up" about briggs and urlacher splitting the center gap, then taking off chasing downfield. Cant see urlacher, he was 25 yards deep running the opposite side.

Pull up any of the urlacher montages out there, this just happened to be the first one I saw that must have been editied to prove my point of how they used urlacher instead of having him controlling the line of scrimmage.

Pretty sure the 1:10 point shows him as deep as the safeties.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the levels of "weak" in your whole argument are so numerous it's hard to know where to begin. But first of all, the Super Bowl was played in 2007, when the Bears did play a lot of Tampa 2, and not in 2012, when they didn.t

Second, the whole reason the Bears were even IN the Super Bowl was because of the Tampa 2, and specifically could do exactly what you are decrying that he did. HIS ABILITY TO COVER IS PRECISELY WHY HE WAS A PROBOWLER. Or did you somehow manage to miss that?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it that BU will play for the cowboys this year. Not written in stone but rumors are flying. Anyone else hearing anything?
This is the funniest thing I've heard in quite awhile. Why would the Cowboys want a washed up LB?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the levels of "weak" in your whole argument are so numerous it's hard to know where to begin. But first of all, the Super Bowl was played in 2007, when the Bears did play a lot of Tampa 2, and not in 2012, when they didn.t

Second, the whole reason the Bears were even IN the Super Bowl was because of the Tampa 2, and specifically could do exactly what you are decrying that he did. HIS ABILITY TO COVER IS PRECISELY WHY HE WAS A PROBOWLER. Or did you somehow manage to miss that?

What does this have to do with answering one simple statement about Urlacher NEVER playing as deep as the safeties in his career, providing video proof, and still I am wrong? Sorry, I dont have much of a life, but if I clearly get video evidence and still am wrong, why bother trying to open anyones eyes.

My point was clear, Brian Urlacher played a middle linebacker that nobody had ever played before. He did not drop to the short zone, he dropped to the deep zone. When his speed went away, like you said in 2012, he was still trying to get back there, while Ray Lewis finished his career staying in front of the ball carrier. Thats all, he could have played 2 more years, but since he could not do what no other middle linebacker could getting 30 yards deep in coverage, he was ushered out of town instead of being allowed to play a normal middle linebacker spot.

You want to blow your mind? Answer one question, who is the very first linebacker you think of when you think of the original tampa defense, in tampa. I bet you guessed Brooks. he was not a middle linebacker, he was a weak side linebacker, you know, the position they started urlacher at. That is how much Urlacher changed the tampa defense by having the ability to get as deep as he could and no other linebacker even attempted getting.

Where is that weak?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one get what you are saying.

C

cubzzzfanincali

What does this have to do with answering one simple statement about Urlacher NEVER playing as deep as the safeties in his career, providing video proof, and still I am wrong? Sorry, I dont have much of a life, but if I clearly get video evidence and still am wrong, why bother trying to open anyones eyes.

My point was clear, Brian Urlacher played a middle linebacker that nobody had ever played before. He did not drop to the short zone, he dropped to the deep zone. When his speed went away, like you said in 2012, he was still trying to get back there, while Ray Lewis finished his career staying in front of the ball carrier. Thats all, he could have played 2 more years, but since he could not do what no other middle linebacker could getting 30 yards deep in coverage, he was ushered out of town instead of being allowed to play a normal middle linebacker spot.

You want to blow your mind? Answer one question, who is the very first linebacker you think of when you think of the original tampa defense, in tampa. I bet you guessed Brooks. he was not a middle linebacker, he was a weak side linebacker, you know, the position they started urlacher at. That is how much Urlacher changed the tampa defense by having the ability to get as deep as he could and no other linebacker even attempted getting.

Where is that weak?

The problem is, that wasn't your point. Your point was that if Urlacher hadn't had to play coverage, that instead he could have gone forward, he would have had a longer career. I suppose if all you wanted to do was have a linebacker who could cover the short middle, sure, Urlacher could have stayed and played the short middle. But then...so can anyone else. You could probably do that. The whole point of Urlacher was his combination of size and speed, and when the speed went...what's the point of paying veteran money for something any linebacker can do? Further, you - at least this was the take home I got from the way you put it - didn't just want him floating in the short middle, you actually wanted him to be aggressively playing the LOS going
forward. You used this term numerous times. I don't see how playing like that would have helped Brian at all.

The only time "30 yards came up" was later in the conversation when richig made one comment about that being ridiculous, which - I am interpreting what he meant - I think he was reacting to the way you were characterizing the end of his career as though that was TYPICAL of where he was playing. Yes, sometimes Urlacher wound up that far back, like any safety, particularly in his early years, but I agree with richig, later on he wasn't deployed that way as much...because he simply couldn't. I haven't done this, because it would require an inordinate amount of time to tally the statistic, but I would bet good money that you could plot Urlacher's age against the fraction of Tampa 2 played by the Bears defense and watch a gradually declining line emerge.

Yes, I think of Brooks, because he got tackles. But Nickerson, then later Quarles, was more invaluable to that defense. Brooks wasn't the key to that defense, he just did a good job in the role. Another famous example was the Colts' Gary Brackett, who "looked" a lot better than he actually was by virtue of having to simply be a good tackler. Brooks was an extremely solid tackler. Tampa 2 was great to him (and any Tampa 2 Will) because the whole point of the run defense is to funnel it there. Nickerson was considered a great MLB for that reason, though he didn't have the gaudy stats to show it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets watch together

lets go to 1:10, watch the interception, look where Urlacher is. thats about 40 yards downfield. Thats where HE played more than ANY OTHER MIDDLE LINEBACKER.

now lets go to 1:45, watch the bullshit I "made up" about briggs and urlacher splitting the center gap, then taking off chasing downfield. Cant see urlacher, he was 25 yards deep running the opposite side.

Pull up any of the urlacher montages out there, this just happened to be the first one I saw that must have been editied to prove my point of how they used urlacher instead of having him controlling the line of scrimmage.

Pretty sure the 1:10 point shows him as deep as the safeties.

Okay, this settles it. You are completely delusional.

At 1:10 the line of scrimmage is the Colts 40 yard line. When Urlacher pops up in the screen, he is roughly around the Bears 41-42 yard line. 18-19 yards down field. And this is after the ball has been released, and he is running towards the play away from the LOS.

Chris Harris catches the ball at the 30. 30 yards downfield. Almost half as deep as Urlacher.

Holy shit dude… it took me one time watching to figure out you were nowhere in the vicinity of being correct.

FORTY yards down field, AI? FORTY!? lol

And yes… Briggs/Urlacher split the field in the nickel package. That was the touchdown on the blown coverage to Wayne, which was a 3rd and medium/long down and distance. The nickel was in.