• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put LaMar Jackson on.the 49ers, they gave more eins. Uou put Purdy on the Ravens, thry hsve more losses.
Such a tricky argument. So many variables, you can't just swap players and think it's an even comparison. The Ravens are built for Lamar, any other QB would struggle with that offense.

People are so desperate to try cutting down what Purdy is doing, they make up new criteria. He has too many playmakers, the system is too good, he plays a bad division, it's a weak MVP year, etc..

He's not the best QB in the league but this season he's playing like it so far. It's not that hard to believe or understand if you just watch him play.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand the discussion around the mvp. Purdy should win it unanimously, if the season ended now. He might break the record for passer rating. He's been insane this year. SF is also blowing everyone out for the most part, so he could have even more passing yards I'd imagine.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Purdy is operating the 9ers offense as about as efficiently as it can be run so I don't buy the notion it'd be markedly better if you swapped him out for a Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, and etc. That's not to say he's a better QB than those guys and I'd take Purdy over them but at this current moment in time he's got the 9ers offense going about as well as it's capable of going.

This stat is crazy to me but among QBs that have played 14 games he has the fewest pass attempts and even QBs with 13 games played he only ranks above Ridder. Purdy has 384 and the next closest to him is Lamar at 401.

What makes that stat crazy is he currently leads the league in TDs at 29 and he's 2nd in yards with 3,795. His average pass attempt is 9.9 yards, leads the league in passer rating at 119.0, and leads the league in QBR at 76.

Point being with those stats is that Purdy is leading a hyper-efficient offense that I doubt would get any more efficient regardless of if you swapped Purdy out for one of the elite guys. That's not a reflection of the elite guys but more a testament on how all the pieces of the 9ers offense fit and work so perfectly together.

I said it early but where I think Purdy gets glossed is the mental aspect of the game. It's the one area where I do think he's top-tier elite in but it's the hardest thing for fans to appreciate unless you follow the team like a fan and watch all the people that do film breakdowns on game tape. What's wild is he's barely played a full seasons worth of games and he can actually improve in that area.

It's still hyperbolic to call him the next Montana and yeah as a 9er fan there is a lot to get excited about but he needs a couple rings on his fingers before that conversation even starts. Even after that we'll see because for my money there isn't a more clutch QB than Montana so I prefer to stick with him being a more mobile Drew Brees comp for the time being.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a kid with barely a full season of actual ball under him, he really has the mental aspect of the game down. He reads and processes as well as anybody and hits guys right where they need to be. He doesn't usually panic under pressure and really has top notch pocket presence. The fact that he already has that and doesn't need to be taught it is why I like the kid. I actually don't like comparing him to anybody. He's just himself.He's smart, humble and has the mental make-up to be a good QB in this league for a long time. All the rest of the talk is just media bullshit. San Fran found a diamond much to my chagrin as a rival fan but I respect the kid and would take him over a lot of guys who were drafted high.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s doing his thing, can’t knock him, but Montana got it done in an era where you could get the crap knocked outta you on the regular, and where throwing over the middle got your receivers killed … The game is just so different today … Joe’s numbers in today’s game would have been staggering …

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s doing his thing, can’t knock him, but Montana got it done in an era where you could get the crap knocked outta you on the regular, and where throwing over the middle got your receivers killed … The game is just so different today … Joe’s numbers in today’s game would have been staggering …
It's hard to imagine what guys from other eras could do in today's game for sure. Montana, Marino, Fouts and a few others from that era. I always like to wonder what a young Unitas could do in today's game as well.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marino would likely have 6000 yds and 55 TDs every year with today's rules and the amount of good WRs and TEs in the game, not to mention all the RBs that can catch the ball. Of course, the Oline play probably isn't as good nowadays and the pass rushers are a lot better so it balances out a bit.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When people say that the Ravens were built specifically for Lamar, does that mean that they intentionally stocked their offense with overrated and/or mediocre skill players (except for Andrews)?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
When people say that the Ravens were built specifically for Lamar, does that mean that they intentionally stocked their offense with overrated and/or mediocre skill players (except for Andrews)?
They mean the offense that has your QB run for 150ish times in a season.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They mean the offense that has your QB run for 150ish times in a season.
Watching him play this year, he really isn't just taking off like he did before. He's using his athleticism to move around in the pocket and create time for his receivers to get open. It makes it hard for DBs to stay on their guy for 8-9 seconds or more. I think Lamar is an anomaly who's passing stats are really not as relevant as some other guys, although still decent. He's a playmaker and difference maker. Other running QBs just don't do what he does consistently. To your point though, he will still have 150+ runs but I think a lot less designed runs then previous years with Roman. Before it was like 3-1 designed or one read and take off type of things. Now it's probably the opposite. More like Mahomes, Allen or a young Russell Wilson where it was scrambling to throw first.