• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brickyard 400

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dun dun dun

Just saw on the tele that the 11 got busted in post race inspection and that his car is being sent back to NASCAR R&D for further examination.

1 of 3 things are going on when NASCAR takes the whole car back.

1) They're being dicks because you made them mad at some point so they'll take the car, tear it apart, etc because its a pain in the ass dealing with the process.

2) You've got something on the car they really don't like and it's likely illegal

3) You've figured out something that beats the rules but they're now gonna say you can't do it even though its within the rules and btw, you're not getting it back.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
about Gordon

he's got 90 wins now, and while I doubt he can race another 5 years that would probably be required to reach Pearsons 105 total. IMO, if he wins another race or 2, but more importantly wins the championship this year. Hate to say, but IMO that would make him the best ever, not that hes far off now

to win 90 times from 1993-2014 is impressive, considering its not an era where sometimes there were 40-50+ races on schedule like there was when Petty-Pearson were racing

I strongly agree.

Richard Petty and David Pearson won the vast majority of their races in the 60's and early 70's when Nascar ran 40-50 and as many as 62 races per season. Can you imagine how many wins Gordon would have now if we had run 50 or even 62 races back in '96, '97 or '98? Well, he was winning over 34% of the time across that stretch, so that gives you an idea.

Today we run 36 races and the level of competition plus the number of hoops you have to jump through just to make sure you're not cheating make it a much tougher environment to win in. I mean, in 1968, Petty and Pearson won a combined 32 of the 49 races. That's over 65% of the wins between two guys.

Gordon would have to race for another 12 seasons to reach Richard Petty in overall races participated in.

The comparison to Earnhardt is easy. They raced together for 8 full seasons.

Gordon: 3 Championships and 52 wins.

Earnhardt: 2 Championships and 23 wins.

Jeff consistently won the big races too and while you can argue that Dale was a lot older at the time, he was also in the midst of winning 4 out of 5 titles when Gordon first entered the series. Yes, the Wonder Boy definitely got the better of the Intimidator. Besides, Jeff (while not perfect) had always run a cleaner brand of racing than Dale. He didn't need to routinely wreck people to win, he just utilized his God-given ability to drive past them.

He should have 6-7 titles also, but I won't even go there.

Regardless, Jeff Gordon is the best ever in my eyes.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strongly agree.

Richard Petty and David Pearson won the vast majority of their races in the 60's and early 70's when Nascar ran 40-50 and as many as 62 races per season. Can you imagine how many wins Gordon would have now if we had run 50 or even 62 races back in '96, '97 or '98? Well, he was winning over 34% of the time across that stretch, so that gives you an idea.

Today we run 36 races and the level of competition plus the number of hoops you have to jump through just to make sure you're not cheating make it a much tougher environment to win in. I mean, in 1968, Petty and Pearson won a combined 32 of the 49 races. That's over 65% of the wins between two guys.

Gordon would have to race for another 12 seasons to reach Richard Petty in overall races participated in.

Jeff consistently won the big races too and while you can argue that Dale was a lot older at the time, he was also in the midst of winning 4 out of 5 titles when Gordon first entered the series. Yes, the Wonder Boy definitely got the better of the Intimidator. Besides, Jeff (while not perfect) had always run a cleaner brand of racing than Dale. He didn't need to routinely wreck people to win, he just utilized his God-given ability to drive past them.

:wtf:

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon is not as well liked as Dale Sr. That argument is like Brady-Manning both sides have good points.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon is not as well liked as Dale Sr. That argument is like Brady-Manning both sides have good points.

Without question, that is true. Statistically and head to head, Jeff Gordon was the better driver across the board however. People just hate to admit it. I don't want to hear about championships either. Jeff has finished with the most points six times and only has four titles to show for it. Here he is again leading in points after a 5th Brickyard. In his 22nd season, he's still the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strongly agree.

Pearson did not race a full schedule many times, really the only 3 seasons he raced full time were the 3 times he won the championship.

And Petty and Dale Sr have an easy argument against Gordon. 7>4.

Saying Dale and Jeff raced 8 years together is true, but you have to remember, Dale was over 40 when Jeff started.

And if you wanna look at it like that, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon have raced against each other for 11 seasons. Jimmie has 6 championships and Jeff has 0. Tony STewart and Jeff Gordon have raced against each other for 14 full seasons. Tony has 3 championships to Jeff's 1.

Ignoring what Dale did before Gordon started is pretty retarded if you ask me. I mean imagine the number Dale would have put up in the 70's if he started full time when he was 20 instead of pushing 30.

And by your logic of saying Jeff is better than Dale then that means both JJ and Stewart are better than Gordon.

To me the top 3 all time list is easy.

1. Dale Sr- 7 championships, and as far as I'm concerned he did it in mediocre equipment(who else has ever done anything at Childress, Harvick is the only other driver to win a notable amount of races).

2. Petty- 200 wins and 7 championships. Say what you want about the number of races, but Petty has won nearly double his next closest competitor.

3. Pearson- 105 wins and 3 championships mostly running part time his career. Had he raced the number of races Petty did, there's a real strong chance the Silver Fox might have a more royal nickname.

Gordon, JJ, Yarborough, Waltrip, Stewart and Allison are in the next tier.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without question, that is true. Statistically and head to head, Jeff Gordon was the better driver across the board however. People just hate to admit it. I don't want to hear about championships either. Jeff has finished with the most points six times and only has four titles to show for it. Here he is again leading in points after a 5th Brickyard. In his 22nd season, he's still the best.

Ok, Dale raced 21 full seasons and won 7 championships.

This is Jeff's 22nd full season and he's still searching for a 5th.

You can not want to hear it all you want to, but Dale won more championships in worse equipment, and as far as I'm concerned, no driver has ever come close to matching Dale Sr's talent.

You know why the pass in the grass is so memorable? Because it never happened before and it won't happen again. Best case scenario for any other driver is they save the car, but fall back to 15th.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If y'all want to say Asshole Earnhardt is better than Gordon because he has more titles, then you say Johnson isn't one of the top 3 drivers of all time, then how do you explain 6 championships in 13 years?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If y'all want to say Asshole Earnhardt is better than Gordon because he has more titles, then you say Johnson isn't one of the top 3 drivers of all time, then how do you explain 6 championships in 13 years?

More titles isn't the only reason why big E is better than Jeff. More talent. Doing what he did in worse equipment. A voice that doesn't sound like a teenage girl. A nickname that isn't the Rainbow Warrior. Then you factor in the championships and it's really not close. Has Jeff Gordon ever ran a race that wasn't in the best equipment out there? Has Jeff Gordon ever won a race with a 20th place car? Didn't think so.

In pretty much every aspect of NASCAR and life, Dale Earnhardt Sr is >>> Jeff Gordon

And personally, I'd have Jimmie at 4 ahead of Jeff. The only reason he's not ahead of Pearson is because Pearson didn't race full time many seasons, really his 3 championships were the only seasons he raced full time.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol You can't judge on championships alone to claim Earnhardt > Gordon. Dale never had to deal with "The Chase," which surely would've wiped out a couple of his titles as it did to Jeff. Now we're talking about tone of voice and nickname of pit crew? REALLY?

You're just trolling with comments like those. Are you aware that Gordon has 90 wins, 3 Daytona 500 wins, 5 Brickyard 400 wins and is the undisputed road course king? These are all things that Earnhardt Sr. would be jealous of, even if he were still alive today.

You might have trouble explaining to me why Earnhardt never won more than 3 races in a season after Gordon got his first title in '95. It's because the kid from Pittsboro Indiana had taken over.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol You can't judge on championships alone to claim Earnhardt > Gordon. Dale never had to deal with "The Chase," which surely would've wiped out a couple of his titles as it did to Jeff. Now we're talking about tone of voice and nickname of pit crew? REALLY?

You're just trolling with comments like those. Are you aware that Gordon has 90 wins, 3 Daytona 500 wins, 5 Brickyard 400 wins and is the undisputed road course king? These are all things that Earnhardt Sr. would be jealous of, even if he were still alive today.

You might have trouble explaining to me why Earnhardt never won more than 3 races in a season after Gordon got his first title in '95. It's because the kid from Pittsboro Indiana had taken over.

Maybe because Dale was born in 1951, which means he would have been 44 in 1995?

Why did Jeff Gordon never win a title after Jimmie Johnson or Tony Stewart won theirs? By your logic, both JJ and Stewart are better than Gordon. JJ has an argument, but as much as I like Smoke, I don't think he's really that close to Gordon as an all time driver.

You're kinda grasping for straws here. Jeff has more wins. Dale has more championships, more talent and did his stuff in worse equipment. Jeff really doesn't have an argument for being better than Dale Sr. Nor Petty or Pearson for that matter.

1. Dale Sr
2. Petty
3. Pearson
4. JJ
5. Gordon
6. Yarborough
7. DW
8. Smoke

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1