• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brewing first batch this weekend

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok finally have all my necessary equipment (I hope). Going to brew my "Caribou Slobber" extract kit from northern brewer. My question to you all is what common rookie mistakes should I try and avoid as I brew my first batch? Rightfully so, I am just nervous I do not sanitize properly. Don't want to ruin my first brew.

I've done a lot of research as well as another post on this board recently. I have the instructions on the extract kit. Takes about 6-7 weeks in total. Is the best route to follow the extract kits instructions step by step?

Been read "hot to Brew" as we'll. seems to almost match up with the kits instructions, just a few minor tweaks here and there.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the kits say to pitch the yeast at 80ºF, I would cool it down below 70 and closer to 60 before pitching.

Have a spray bottle of pure water on hand when you are boiling the wort, if it starts to foam up....and it will, spray it with water to beat the foam down.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, watch out for the boil over, it can make a mess (I hadn't heard of the spray bottle trick, will keep that in mind). I usually try to gradually increase the temp to get it to a boil, seems to help prevent the boil over.

Have fun!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said it in the original OP..but yes, sanitize everything thouroughly. That will ruin your brew probably quicker than anything...

And oh yeah. Don't forget to drink while you are brewing! Its kind of sacrilegious not to imo. Relax! It will probably turn out great. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You said it in the original OP..but yes, sanitize everything thouroughly. That will ruin your brew probably quicker than anything...

And oh yeah. Don't forget to drink while you are brewing! Its kind of sacrilegious not to imo. Relax! It will probably turn out great. :suds:

Obviously I will be drinking. Just picked up a case of sly fox Helles.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Started right around 3pm today. Though I averted it, I quickly learned how crazy a boil over can be. Luckily I bought a 7 gallon stainless so it didn't technically boil over, but it got close.

Couple small mistakes which shouldn't affect my batch (I don't think). Smelled amazing. Sanitized everything that touched the cooled wort. One mishap was I drop the fermenter lid on the ground right before placing it on top. Klutz move but I ran quickly to spray it down and soak with star San. Hopefully no damage was done.

One question though, when do you think I should see some sign of fermentation?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Started right around 3pm today. Though I averted it, I quickly learned how crazy a boil over can be. Luckily I bought a 7 gallon stainless so it didn't technically boil over, but it got close.

Couple small mistakes which shouldn't affect my batch (I don't think). Smelled amazing. Sanitized everything that touched the cooled wort. One mishap was I drop the fermenter lid on the ground right before placing it on top. Klutz move but I ran quickly to spray it down and soak with star San. Hopefully no damage was done.

One question though, when do you think I should see some sign of fermentation?

It took mine about 8 hours to start, but I pitched my yeast warm and it never really cooled down enough. I would say anywhere from 8-48 hours, but usually around 18-24 for the US04. It depends on a few factors, temp, oxygen level, dry or rehydrated or if you used a starter.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty pumped. Bought a propane burner so everything will be outside. Temps should be around 60 degrees outside and ill have the ice bath ready to go.

that's the way to go, I got a burner, and a 8 gallon brew kettle so I can do full batch boils outside...when I used to do it stove-top the gf would always complain that I was stinking up the house (even though it smells incredible)

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that's the way to go, I got a burner, and a 8 gallon brew kettle so I can do full batch boils outside...when I used to do it stove-top the gf would always complain that I was stinking up the house (even though it smells incredible)

Smell was absolutely amazing. Worked out well outdoors. Started getting a little dark which made things difficult. Now I know to start a little earlier.

Update: seeing first signs on fermentation which is nice

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
be sure to become a airlock sniffer, so you can enjoy that glorious smell all through fermentation:D

airlock_sniffer_card-rf8d142541ca944dcbf34e278bf9f0e64_xvuak_8byvr_512.jpg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy your new ride to brewing success...I had to give it all up when the lady got all over me cuz I had 4 carboys in the tub and they stunk up the house to high heaven...couldn't put me babies in the cold garage so that was the end of it all...enjoyed my stash to the very end tho.

GL!
:suds:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just ordered 2 from northern brewer:

115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA
Australian Sparkling Ale

going to probably get 1 or 2 more pretty quickly, we're having a coed baby shower, and if I know my guy friends well, there will be lots and lots of boozing...so I would like to unveil a few new brews for the shower (probably going to come up with my own recipes for these 2)

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm a little too cautious to begin. But it's safe to open that open the airlock with no threat of ruining the batch?

No, it's not safe. As I'm sure you have read, you are risking an infection. The hardest part of homebrewing is patience.

He was just saying that you should sniff the airlock so you can smell how it changes during fermentation.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe I'm a little too cautious to begin. But it's safe to open that open the airlock with no threat of ruining the batch?

You should be ok, especially once you have your krausen formed. I wouldn't make a habit of opening the airlock, but once you can see that you have active fermentation you should be alright.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah, I wouldn't remove the airlock, but even with it in, if you get up close to it, you can smell whats happening in there

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just ordered 2 from northern brewer:

115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA
Australian Sparkling Ale

going to probably get 1 or 2 more pretty quickly, we're having a coed baby shower, and if I know my guy friends well, there will be lots and lots of boozing...so I would like to unveil a few new brews for the shower (probably going to come up with my own recipes for these 2)

Great idea!! All of the ladies go ooh ooh ahh ahh at the baby clothes and the guys sneak away and get drunk. Sounds like my kinda baby shower!!

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok so it's been 8 days now.

I came home today and the few times I have checked on it I haven't seen any bubbling in the airlock. Ives check it almost each day since putting it into the fermenter and I have noted solid action in the airlock.

1. Is this anything to be concerned about?
2. Is it highly recommended to use a secondary fermenter? Haven't done eneough research to convince me it's needed.

The direction from the extract kit say 2-3 weeks until I should bottle. If I see no action in the airlock for a couple days, is it still safe to let it sit in the fermenter until 2-3 are up?

Is it possible the cold temps have slowed down fermentation? It usually sits at around 65-68 degrees in my basement. Today with the snows and freezing temps, it's reading around 61-62. Tomorrow will probably be colder also. Spis this a major concern?

Thanks again for your help fellas.

Signed,
Paranoid first timer

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so it's been 8 days now.

I came home today and the few times I have checked on it I haven't seen any bubbling in the airlock. Ives check it almost each day since putting it into the fermenter and I have noted solid action in the airlock.

1. Is this anything to be concerned about?
2. Is it highly recommended to use a secondary fermenter? Haven't done eneough research to convince me it's needed.

The direction from the extract kit say 2-3 weeks until I should bottle. If I see no action in the airlock for a couple days, is it still safe to let it sit in the fermenter until 2-3 are up?

Is it possible the cold temps have slowed down fermentation? It usually sits at around 65-68 degrees in my basement. Today with the snows and freezing temps, it's reading around 61-62. Tomorrow will probably be colder also. Spis this a major concern?

Thanks again for your help fellas.

Signed,
Paranoid first timer

Congrats!

At 8 days, it's done fermenting. The "right" way to see if fermentation is complete, is to take gravity readings and see if it changes. I never do that... I just wait 2 weeks instead. I've had overcarbed beer before, and I suspect that is because it wasn't completely done.

A secondary isn't required, but I use a secondary because it helps clarify my beer. This being your first batch, I would skip the secondary. Just make sure you stop racking out the fermenter once you hit the trub.

The 2-3 week they recommend is to allow it to age some. Otherwise it may have a green/unrefined taste. I just read some of the reviews at northern brewer, and almost everyone says you want it to age for at least 4 weeks.

Assuming you used the recommended US-04 dry yeast with the kit, then your temperatures are fine. In my experience, being lower in the fermentation band for the yeast makes for a beer with fewer off flavors. The range for US-04 is 54 to 77 F http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_S04.pdf
And since it's done fermenting, the temperature doesn't matter as much.
:suds: