• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brewed my first batch solo tonight

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I brewed the Caribou Slobber that came with my kit I got for Christmas. I think I did everything right, but I am worried I may have caught an infection. I pitched the yeast at 6:45 pm and right now at 10 pm I have active fermentation. Is this something to worry about or is it possible to have fermentation start this quickly. I did add a yeast nutrient at 10 minutes left in the boil so could that be the cause?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You fucked up!!!!!

...Just kidding I have no idea how to home brew. I want to though...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brewed the Caribou Slobber that came with my kit I got for Christmas. I think I did everything right, but I am worried I may have caught an infection. I pitched the yeast at 6:45 pm and right now at 10 pm I have active fermentation. Is this something to worry about or is it possible to have fermentation start this quickly. I did add a yeast nutrient at 10 minutes left in the boil so could that be the cause?

Probably no worries man, especially if you added yeast nutrient. What kind of yeast are you using? Did you aerate the wort well? What temp. did you pitch at? I don't know much, but would say you are probably fine.

Relax, Have a homebrew!

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I used Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast it is what came with the kit, pitched at 74 and it is sitting there, should I move it to a cooler location, the room it is in is at 68 I could move it to the basemant that is at 64.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds ok.

I made some slightly off beer before. Drank it anyway.

I don't home brew anymore, but it was my hobby back in my besotted days. You guys should try mead or melomels. It's the same process but with honey and champagne yeast. Throw fruit in for some melomels. I did a few batches and it was really good and different.

And it didn't take much to get a serious buzz going.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown ales are probably the most forgiving beers to make. And to my knowledge, you would want the yeast to ferment and multiply quickly to help prevent other bugs from taking hold.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast it is what came with the kit, pitched at 74 and it is sitting there, should I move it to a cooler location, the room it is in is at 68 I could move it to the basemant that is at 64.

Never used this yeast but the data sheet says it starts quick and ferments quickly at temps above 17C (62F). Best temp is at traditionalale term temps (something like 65-68F). If you wanted to move it to 64 that would be gine, but I think it is better if you start low and come up towards the end of fermentation (to eliminate esters and such) rather than vice versa. It probably started really fast since you pitched at 74 and added nutrient?? Just my take. Once again I am no expert but you will prolly be just fine. I am sure the beer will be great.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/sites/default/files/windsor_datasheet.pdf

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The reason I pitched when I did is because that is what the directions said to do. They also said to move it to a warm dark quiet spot to let it ferment.
Reading the yeast fact sheet it says that the yeast will yeild a higher final gravity, maybe that is why it says to leave it in a warm dry spot to try to get the FG down a little more.
One other problem I had was trying to take the OG. I stopped at Northern Brewer on my way home from work and bought a brand new gravity testing kit. Got it home and the top of the hydrometer was broken off. I still tried to test it and got 1.052, but that was after it had completely submerged and came back up, so it may have had a little wort in it. That is the gravity I was shooting for so I'll take it, even though it could be off a little. If it is off it would only be higher, but I don't think it should be off by much.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I pitched when I did is because that is what the directions said to do. They also said to move it to a warm dark quiet spot to let it ferment.
Reading the yeast fact sheet it says that the yeast will yeild a higher final gravity, maybe that is why it says to leave it in a warm dry spot to try to get the FG down a little more.
One other problem I had was trying to take the OG. I stopped at Northern Brewer on my way home from work and bought a brand new gravity testing kit. Got it home and the top of the hydrometer was broken off. I still tried to test it and got 1.052, but that was after it had completely submerged and came back up, so it may have had a little wort in it. That is the gravity I was shooting for so I'll take it, even though it could be off a little. If it is off it would only be higher, but I don't think it should be off by much.

You're better off in the basement. Less temp fluctuation, and you're better off in the mid 60's than mid 70's. In the mid 70's you're going to develop esters and fusel alcohols that you dpn't want.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds ok.

I made some slightly off beer before. Drank it anyway.

I don't home brew anymore, but it was my hobby back in my besotted days. You guys should try mead or melomels. It's the same process but with honey and champagne yeast. Throw fruit in for some melomels. I did a few batches and it was really good and different.

And it didn't take much to get a serious buzz going.

i've been wanting to do a batch of mead, havent gotten around to it yet though

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I got it cooled down to 68, but it still fermented out in about 48 hours. Not sure how long it fermented hot. Not sure exactly what it should smell like but during the ferment I couldn't smell anything off. It actually smelled good. Going to let it sit for 10 days to two weeks and then bottle it.

Worst case scenario I learned something.