• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bleacher report: Stanton prefers Giants

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What scenario do you envision the price not being crippling to the team?
I haven't run the numbers yet, but if we can fit the KNBR rumor under the cap, then I'd like to see that happen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't run the numbers yet, but if we can fit the KNBR rumor under the cap, then I'd like to see that happen.
If the Fish eat 50% of Stanton’s contract and all of Gordon’s contract, I might be OK with Panik, Beede and Shaw heading out. On the surface.

But it still would be a pointless trade. Panik ==> Gordon is a step down. And this team is not just a superstar removed from contention. He MIGHT account for an additional 10 wins. Whoopie, we now finish the season 78-84.

Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Fish eat 50% of Stanton’s contract and all of Gordon’s contract, I might be OK with Panik, Beede and Shaw heading out. On the surface.

But it still would be a pointless trade. Panik ==> Gordon is a step down. And this team is not just a superstar removed from contention. He MIGHT account for an additional 10 wins. Whoopie, we now finish the season 78-84.
True enough. Stanton won't do it alone. All the things that went wrong in 2017 would have to go right in 2018, in addition to Stanton having another Bondsian year, praise his name. I know, slim chance, but I think it's our most realistic chance to be contenders in 2018.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True enough. Stanton won't do it alone. All the things that went wrong in 2017 would have to go right in 2018, in addition to Stanton having another Bondsian year, praise his name. I know, slim chance, but I think it's our most realistic chance to be contenders in 2018.
Sure. If the league we’re folding after 18, I would be in favor of the trade.

But it isn’t.

And competing in 18 is not the end-all-be-all.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. If the league we’re folding after 18, I would be in favor of the trade.

But it isn’t.

And competing in 18 is not the end-all-be-all.
Again, true enough, but I'll just say it - our farm system sucks. I have no measurable faith that if we try to rebuild through the farm that we'll get there. Imho, they only way we can be contenders is to support Posey and Bum and hopefully Cueto and Melancon now, not 3 years from now. Even Belt and Crawford could begin to decline by then.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, true enough, but I'll just say it - our farm system sucks. I have no measurable faith that if we try to rebuild through the farm that we'll get there. Imho, they only way we can be contenders is to support Posey and Bum and hopefully Cueto and Melancon now, not 3 years from now. Even Belt and Crawford could begin to decline by then.
Agree. But Stanton’s contract is horrendous. It would be handcuffing even into a complete tear down/rebuild.

And why I am in favor of shipping Bum out now while he would still demand a Kings ransom. Posey can be the attraction/onfield captain during the turn around and show the kids how to win.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. But Stanton’s contract is horrendous. It would be handcuffing even into a complete tear down/rebuild.

And why I am in favor of shipping Bum out now while he would still demand a Kings ransom. Posey can be the attraction/onfield captain during the turn around and show the kids how to win.
Well, if we don't get Stanton, then we should go full teardown. It also depends on if baseball avoids what's going on politically in football. I think major league sports are in huge trouble.

I think the FO wants Stanton to put fannies in the seats.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if we don't get Stanton, then we should go full teardown. It also depends on if baseball avoids what's going on politically in football. I think major league sports are in huge trouble.

I think the FO wants Stanton to put fannies in the seats.
This, unfortunately, is the driving factor, and puts the FO at complete odds with us fans (at least those of us here, I think)

If you suck, and you’ll don’t have the taste for trophies that we currently have, than sitting on individuals is fine. I was ok with the Barry years because we were able to enjoy the goat.

But I want rings now. Pure and simple. And Stanton gets us further away from that objective.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's not happy in to years, he has an "Opt Out Clause" after the 2019 season.

The Red Sox say they will take him and his salary for 1 minor leaguer. If Miami takes $50M off the contract, the Sox will give them Jackie Bradley Jr and a Minor league player. The potential for him to walk after two years is just too great.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's not happy in to years, he has an "Opt Out Clause" after the 2019 season.

The Red Sox say they will take him and his salary for 1 minor leaguer. If Miami takes $50M off the contract, the Sox will give them Jackie Bradley Jr and a Minor league player. The potential for him to walk after two years is just too great.

I just have serious doubt about this.

First off, it's three years. He can opt-out after 2020.

He'll be going into his age 32 season and be leaving a 7-year, $218M contract on the table. It's tough to say what the market will be like in three years, but I have a hard time believing he'll approach that contract.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have serious doubt about this.

First off, it's three years. He can opt-out after 2020.

He'll be going into his age 32 season and be leaving a 7-year, $218M contract on the table. It's tough to say what the market will be like in three years, but I have a hard time believing he'll approach that contract.
Here's an analysis over at Fangraphs about the value of Stanton's contract for the team who trades for him - Giancarlo Stanton’s Opt-Out Caps His Trade Value | FanGraphs Baseball

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an analysis over at Fangraphs about the value of Stanton's contract for the team who trades for him - Giancarlo Stanton’s Opt-Out Caps His Trade Value | FanGraphs Baseball

Haha that's the same article I just posted in another thread.

It does make for an interesting think exercise. But while Stanton's contract may not be that terrible in the long run, it's still pretty crippling for this Giants team with their current contract situation, plus with a potential MadBum extension looming...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha that's the same article I just posted in another thread.

It does make for an interesting think exercise. But while Stanton's contract may not be that terrible in the long run, it's still pretty crippling for this Giants team with their current contract situation, plus with a potential MadBum extension looming...
script>

Sorry about that. I think I've read too many Stanton articles. Stanton would be fun to watch but the money issue makes it difficult for this team, in my opinion, to truly field a contending team without career years from many of the guys on the roster.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giancarlo Stanton Trade Rumors: Monday
If this rumor is true, that Stanton prefers the Dodgers and would veto any trades until he knows that the Dodgers are not interested, could the Dodgers drag their feet on stating whether or not they are interested just to mess up the Giants' (and any potential post season opponents) offseason? If they threw out half hearted deal offers for the next month or so, that could push a Stanton trade into mid to late January.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over on ESPN they did their statistical modeling for Stanton.

He appears like he's gonna age pretty well.

last year or two will probably not be good though. But he's not falling off a cliff in 2 years like some of you have suggested (without extenuating circumstances like injuries).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over on ESPN they did their statistical modeling for Stanton.

He appears like he's gonna age pretty well.

last year or two will probably not be good though. But he's not falling off a cliff in 2 years like some of you have suggested (without extenuating circumstances like injuries).
Most of us have seen those projections. The issue isn't with production, the issue is with the amount of money being covered by the Giants and how it could prohibit the team's competitiveness.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us have seen those projections. The issue isn't with production, the issue is with the amount of money being covered by the Giants and how it could prohibit the team's competitiveness.

i get not wanting Stanton.

I'm not in love with the Sox trading for him, but for the kinds of prospects being mentioned (although the overrating of Panik needs to stop) you gotta at least consider it.

I don't think he comes to boston because i bet he'd block the deal if he's gonna be a DH...which is what his role would be here.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get not wanting Stanton.

I'm not in love with the Sox trading for him, but for the kinds of prospects being mentioned (although the overrating of Panik needs to stop) you gotta at least consider it.

I don't think he comes to boston because i bet he'd block the deal if he's gonna be a DH...which is what his role would be here.
Not sure if I'm reading your response correctly, but the combination of the prospect names floated in rumors (from a thin farm system) and the report that the Giants would foot much of Stanton's salary makes for a less than savory trade idea. Sure, Stanton would be fun to watch at AT&T but he alone doesn't make this a championship level club and it becomes much harder to get other players who would.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I'm reading your response correctly, but the combination of the prospect names floated in rumors (from a thin farm system) and the report that the Giants would foot much of Stanton's salary makes for a less than savory trade idea. Sure, Stanton would be fun to watch at AT&T but he alone doesn't make this a championship level club and it becomes much harder to get other players who would.

I guess what I'm saying is I think you're overrating your pieces.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm saying is I think you're overrating your pieces.
And I think you are underrating them. Shaw is the number two prospect and Beede the number three (per Baseball America). Panik is a good glove 2nd baseman that should be considered among the upper half to third among offensive 2nd basemen (per OPS).