• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks vs Bruins Stanley Cup Series Thread

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very proud of our Hawks for getting this far.

In the last three rounds, the pessimists, anti-Hawk fans and so-called experts were not always on the side of the Hawks. For instance:

Series One - The Wild were bigger and play a similar game. Series Two - The Wings were more experienced and better coached. Western Conference Series - The Kings were more physical and Quick was unbeatable.

Yet the Hawks won through all of that, whether it was true or imagined! And now the cycle is repeating itself as I'm seeing more of the same comments about the Bruins. I guess we'll see how it plays out starting Wednesday.

Was listening to Carmen and Jurko on ESPN Chicago and they had Bruins' radio announcer Jack Edwards on as a guest. Was shocked to hear Edwards pick the Hawks in 7.

Should be a great series, if I don't have a heart attack watching it.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key will be getting to Rask the same way the Hawks got to Quick in the last round. Really, I don't see the Bruins being even more physical than the Kings, or for that matter the Wings. If the Hawks throw enough pucks at the net, Rask will let some goals in. Of course, they will still need a good forecheck in the offensive zone, net front presence and some greasy goals (deflections, tip ins and rebounds). Quick was supposedly all-wordly and the the Hawks brought him back to earth.

Good luck to the Hawks. However this turns out, they have had a great season.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, am I tired today. Thankfully no work today.

Triple overtime winner by the Blackhawks, coming back from a 3-1 deficit in the third period. Lots of grit on this Hawks team. Bruins played physical, but the Hawks matched them hit for hit. They may have even outhit the Bruins. Faceoffs were even. Score was even until the end. Crawford and Rask were terrific.

If the other games in this series are like this one, I'm gonna need a defibrillator. Two teams very evenly matched.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we played awful the first two periods. thankfully there ended up being 6 so we could make up for it.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, g. I'm exhausted just watching.

Things that I was impressed with: Marchand. In the "Cup" thread here on SportsHoopla, he was ripped for being nothing more than a pint-sized thug. And maybe he is. But the guy has a nose for the puck. Seemed like on every rush up the ice, he had the puck on his tape or was getting involved in legal hits. Seemed more dangerous offensively than he's given credit for. Lucic and Krejci are great players. Great.

On the Hawks side, Bolland finally showed up to the playoffs. Shaw was all over the place. I liked that Q reassembled the Toews-Hossa-Saad line. I thought Hossa had a great game. Same with Sharp.*

On the down side, having two "too-many-men" penalties is pitiful. Especially in OT. The 5-on-3 PP only had 1 shot on goal - ONE!?!? Atrocious! Those need to improve.

* As well as Sharp played, I think he needs better linemates. Not sure who was even on his line? Maybe Handzus and Bickell? I'd like to see Bickell and Stalberg with Sharp. I know Stalberg was a healthy scratch. I think Coach Q messed this up by putting Bollig in. Even in the 3OT, Bollig had 14:24 TOI which was lowest on the team. (Not that I was expecting otherwise.) I admit Bollig played better than I expected, but we need Stalberg's speed. I think the speed of the Hawks can give the Bruins fits.

And as much as the Hawks are all about puck-control (to create scoring chances), they need to throw more pucks on net instead of cycling, hoping to get the perfect passing lane. Just shoot guys!

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated all the hitting in the first.
Seemed both teams were trying to play to the other a little too much. I liked the Hawks 2nd and 3rd. Tried breaking bricks with my head watching Kompon's pp suck like I couldn't imagine after a long break.

Home ice saved Q, thought the plan was bad, but still time to adjust. Game should be nastier on Saturday.

Take the win and run, I don't think it means much of anything (momentum-wise) for game 2.

Who was that #36 on the ice? Not used to seeing him, thought he stayed or was left in LA.

Can we please see Stalberg in place of Bollig? Please Q?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, actually Dave Bolland had a pretty strong game. There's a first.

Q, with all the mixing and matching lines, was giving me a headache. Don't exactly know what the strategy was there. Didn't his coaching staff have a clue who to match with whom? But Q seems to have somewhat of a Midas touch. Putting Saad back with Toews and Hossa worked better.

Bollig is a slug. I have no idea what Stalberg has done so badly that Q doesn't want to play him. So, you get like two good checks out of Bollig. That's a game changer? I don't think so. And you don't think that Stalberg could stretch the Bruins some with all his speed? Yeah, I'm voting for Stalberg back in and Bollig sitting in the organ loft.

Great shifts by the third line (Shaw, Bolland, Bickell) and the fourth line (Frolik, Kruger, and yes Bollig). First and second lines seemed to have lots of trouble defensively throughout the entire game. When, oh when, is Toews gonna ever score again? Hossa had a terrific game I thought. Played like a real star.

Kane, pretty invisible again...and his lack of play in the neutral ice wound up with the second Bruins goal.

Defense...good, and then not so good. Hey, let's face it, the Bruins seemed to have a boat load of quality chances. Brent Seabrook looks like he had one concussion too many. Slow...making bad passes. "Loved" the trip over the blue line with no one around him...he just fell to the ice. Everyone on the defense had an up and down night.

Corey Crawford...really really good...and really really lucky. Still shaking my head trying to figure out how Daugauvins doesn't score on that backhand with a wide open net.

Glad the Hawks won. Would have been tired AND cranky today if they had lost. I'm thinking the win doesn't mean much though. Hawks won a game they had to win at home. Need to repeat in Game 2.

As to Boston, they are more like the Wings than the Kings. They hit, but I didn't think they played any more physical than the Wings or Kings. But they have speed. Seguin and Paille have speed to burn. At least the Hawks brought Tuukka Rask back to the real world. Once again, a goalie who has played lights out in the playoffs looks like just another goalie. Although you can't fault him for any of the four goals...or Crawford for any of the three goals he gave up.

After a day of digesting the game, Bruins seemed to have a lot more chances than the Hawks. Have to be concerned for Game 2. We'll see what adjustments are made for that one.

Go Hawks.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Doug...the power play is ridiculously pathetic. Five guys standing around, with no movement, no creativity. They are all looking for the weak side back door play, but that area isn't open. Don't know what Kompon is thinking.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 2
Tough loss. But saw it coming. The Hawks were dominant in the first period, then slowly gave way to the Bruins. After hitting a post or two, then a crossbar, just seemed inevitable in the OT.

If I were bitter, there'd be plenty to pick on. PP still is a mess. I think that's the biggest issue. Next issue is not being able to clear the defensive zone. Bollig's failed clear at the end was killer, but in all fairness the Hawks were having trouble with it all night. (At least from the second period on.)

The non-goal: It is what it is. I won't fault the refs. But speaking of the refs, can they please position themselves in better spots in the corners? I saw too many plays, passes, and clearing attempts disrupted because of officials in the corners. Most of the time to the detriment of the Hawks' flow.

Can we get Stalberg back now? Please?

Frolik played great - but he falls down a lot. Crawford played great. Sharpie was on fire.

Oh, and how many times are you trying to score from the goal line, or below? Low-percentage shots that usually just kill the momentum. Note to Kane: you can still keep skating after you pass the puck, play defensively.

Hope the Hawks can steal one in Beantown. They'll have to. Two games, both go into OT. And the team that scored first lost both games. Not for the faint of heart.

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 2
Tough loss. But saw it coming. The Hawks were dominant in the first period, then slowly gave way to the Bruins. After hitting a post or two, then a crossbar, just seemed inevitable in the OT.

If I were bitter, there'd be plenty to pick on. PP still is a mess. I think that's the biggest issue. Next issue is not being able to clear the defensive zone. Bollig's failed clear at the end was killer, but in all fairness the Hawks were having trouble with it all night. (At least from the second period on.)

The non-goal: It is what it is. I won't fault the refs. But speaking of the refs, can they please position themselves in better spots in the corners? I saw too many plays, passes, and clearing attempts disrupted because of officials in the corners. Most of the time to the detriment of the Hawks' flow.

Can we get Stalberg back now? Please?

Frolik played great - but he falls down a lot. Crawford played great. Sharpie was on fire.

Oh, and how many times are you trying to score from the goal line, or below? Low-percentage shots that usually just kill the momentum. Note to Kane: you can still keep skating after you pass the puck, play defensively.

Hope the Hawks can steal one in Beantown. They'll have to. Two games, both go into OT. And the team that scored first lost both games. Not for the faint of heart.

Agree with getting Stalberg back.

Bruins after the 1st made better adjustment from the Hawks dictated the play from the 1st last nite and game 1 and gave Rask a break on saving shots and switching unto Crawford.

Just one lost. Just have to steal one back in Boston because this is going all 7.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great series so far.. 1st game was about as even as you get.

I only saw the 3rd period and beyond last night, but it definitely looked as if Boston had more momentum down the stretch....

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that Bollig is out and Stalberg is in. Finally! Also heard that the Hawks are 0-3 in game threes this post-season. To quote Star Wars, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

We really need our stars to step up tonight. Toews, Kane and Hossa have been warned (more so 19 and 88). Bickell (though not generally labeled a "star" has more or less disappeared in this series too. Let's go guys, it shouldn't all be on Crawford and Shaw.

Go Hawks!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 3
Make that 0-4 in game threes for the Hawks. Decent first period. Then it seemed like they lost their jump. Tip of the cap to the Bruins. They played aggressive and kept the pressure on the Hawks all game.

Hope that Hossa is back for game 4. I'd also keep Ben Smith in, and scratch Bolland.

The PP continues to struggle. Losing the faceoffs isn't helping either. After losing the draw, and then after chasing down the puck, we don't actually start "possession" of the PP until 10-17 seconds into it.

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks are in big trouble if Toews and Kane become another no show by the Bruins like Crosby and Malkin.

Heartless game IMO as Bickell is also being checked out by the Bruins defense and we are in a must win game four because we are not going pull off another 3 in a row save series like we did vs the Wings if we lose game four Wednesday in Boston.

Toews need to step up now like he did for team Canada in the last Olympics.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks in trouble. Hossa out. Toews damaged between the ears or on the left side between the shoulder and the fingers. Roszival, Seabrook, and Bickell strapped concrete to their skates.

Can't see Chicago climbing back for 3 wins with Hossa out, too big at both ends of the ice. Going to have to hope for implosions by Marchand, Thornton, etc. to mess up their lines.

At least we wrote off the pp ahead of time. Still impressive that they can continually get worse as play goes along. With the relatively successful year, we can look forward to yet another disastrous year of a Kompon pp next year, I'll be surprised if he's fired.

Most shots from the outside, Hawks unwilling to give up the puck to flip it towards the net. Eventually they'll realize they lose the puck anyway, when that happens, there will be hope. Maybe game 4 they can get it. 1 or 2 wins without Hoss a possibility but probably not 3, he can cover up for offensive gambles with his backcheck and is a beast to take off the puck, no one close.

Hawks still have plenty of adjustments to make, I hope Q hasn't jumbled the lines so much that the guys forget how to play with each other.

I never want to see Bollig on the ice again. Would have preferred a gamble on Morin instead of Smith. Bolland has more than offset his game 1 performance. About time Chicago fans realize that he has to go. Boston won 71% of the faceoffs, can't recover from that, too many wasted shifts chasing the puck.

Anyway, tomorrow is the big game. Boston's system can be broken down if the Hawks aren't broken down between the ears like they are with a man advantage.

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't sale Coach Q short on not seeing that again like the same type of playing vs the Redwings that was 3-1 at one time.

We just need get that game one mojo back because Crawford is doing his part keeping us in it.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't sale Coach Q short on not seeing that again like the same type of playing vs the Redwings that was 3-1 at one time.

We just need get that game one mojo back because Crawford is doing his part keeping us in it.

images

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hossa will return tonite :)

From Bleacher Reports,

Marian Hossa is “likely” to play in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals tonight, according to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville. But it’s a safe bet that Boston College product Ben Smith will be on the ice for warmups just in case.

Hossa was a surprise last-minute scratch with an upper-body injury after taking warmups before Chicago’s 2-0 loss in Game 3 on Monday night.

Players said after that they knew well ahead of time that Hossa would be a gametime decision and might not play. Yet Smith, Hossa’s replacement, was not on the ice for warmups.

- See more at: Marian Hossa likely to return in Game 4 | Boston Herald