• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big changes coming to Sprint Cup points

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched much the past couple years but this new format is a complete joke. I'm with you, it definitely makes it easier for me to decide what to watch on Sundays. And when football isn't on, I'll see if there's a baseball game on.

Where the hell have you been?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill still watch the races and go to a few when I can but change is not always good and I am not only talking about NASCAR, back in the day I would watch racing exclusively not so much now. This new format will hurt Dale Jr. for sure he is usually top 10 or so but doesent win that often, other drivers will win a race but not have that great of a year and make the chase fans will complain and they will change the format again it never ends.

I actually think it will help Jr. He is very consistent which will keep him in the top 10 in points so he will not have to worry about missing the chase. He will run near the front in the chase races and I do think he will finally win some races this year. They ran conservative last year the first half of the season to secure a chase spot basically. Now they can go all out and shoot for wins knowing if they get 1 win, they will be in.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New points system, Earnhardt Jr. would had won championship in 2013: In announcing major changes to the Chase for the Sprint Cup on Thursday, NASCAR chairman Brian France touted an emphasis on winning as a primary reason behind the format. But it turns out last year's champion, if the new rules were applied, would have been #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., who didn't win a race. According to economist Andrew Maness, who runs the nascarnomics.com site, Earnhardt would have made the final race along with Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon. NASCAR's Mike Forde confirmed the lineup. The driver who won the most races last season, Matt Kenseth with seven, would not have been eligible for the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.(USA Today)(1-31-2014)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what no road course final instead of homestead?? :noidea:

I'm glad to see that Brian France was paying attention to what people actually wanted from those fan surveys. :rollseyes:

Where the hell have you been?

I've been around, mainly reading but not posting. Every now and then if I find something, I'll post on it. This format was just so awful that I had to get at least a few thoughts out on it.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now that there is no such thing as a Cup Champion anymore.

we get to look forward to see who the 2014 Contest winner is!!!!

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the best thing that can happen is for NASCAR to continue to lose viewers

also, another thing that will help is how this all shakes out this season. If Homestead turns into a disaster, then they will be forced to change it again, perhaps even back to pre-Chase era

soooooooooooooo many fucked up scenarios can happen, its not even funny, its a sad joke really

1. you could conceivably win 15 races next season, and not even make it to the "final 4"

2, you could be bar none the best driver throughout the entire CHASE, and then blow a tire/engine at Homestead and be done

3, what if all 4 drivers in last race all crash out, or have engine problems. Yes, the odds of that happening are great, but could STILL happen. Look at that restart from this past 2013 FOrd 400, where Jimmie and Kenseth nearly wrecked each other when Gordon didn't get going

its just a big joke. Im actually more inclined to just follow Chase Elliott's career only now, more than ever, as I was a huge Bill Elliott fan.

LMAO at determining a season long champion based off of who crosses the finish line first in one race.

:lol: :lol: :lol: