• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best RB of All Time Game 14

Who's the better running back?

• Barry Sanders

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Jim Brown

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Sanders vs Jim Brown

Vote and Discuss...

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders by a light year unless we are talking Lacrosse,

Last edited by a moderator:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This surprises me a little...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown. Barry's dad even says so. Brown was the best and it wasn't just because he played against 120 lb girls or whatever junk people like to throw out there to diminish his accomplishments.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only voted Barry because Im a homer, no other reason. Not sure why 10 other people did.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Jim Brown - More complete RB, more complete player, better stats, better work ethic, better attitude and had a better and more consistent ability to show up in the big games

Disagree with the bold. Not sure how you came to those conclusions.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw Brown play except highlights and anyone can look good in highlights. He was, as others said, a man among boys. Very good, but he wasn't really playing against matched competition.

Barry Sanders is the best running back I have ever seen. He played on teams that had no business winning anything with crappy coaches and he could do anything they gave him the opportunity to do. Everyone wants to bring up his 13 for -1 playoff game, and if anyone cares to watch that game there's a reason why. They guy never had a fucking chance the entire game. AP and JB or any others weren't going to fair any better on that team either. The Packers Defense was all over them that day, they knew the running plays better than Detroit's offensive line did.

anyway, Sanders had the best moves i've seen from any running back. He had the quickness, the start, stop, start as fast as anyone i've seen. He had power, he could run in confined spaces, he was un-catchable in the open field. People can compare stats all day, and over a career, I think they give a decent idea, but they aren't the whole picture.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw Brown play except highlights and anyone can look good in highlights. He was, as others said, a man among boys. Very good, but he wasn't really playing against matched competition.

Barry Sanders is the best running back I have ever seen. He played on teams that had no business winning anything with crappy coaches and he could do anything they gave him the opportunity to do. Everyone wants to bring up his 13 for -1 playoff game, and if anyone cares to watch that game there's a reason why. They guy never had a fucking chance the entire game. AP and JB or any others weren't going to fair any better on that team either. The Packers Defense was all over them that day, they knew the running plays better than Detroit's offensive line did.

anyway, Sanders had the best moves i've seen from any running back. He had the quickness, the start, stop, start as fast as anyone i've seen. He had power, he could run in confined spaces, he was un-catchable in the open field. People can compare stats all day, and over a career, I think they give a decent idea, but they aren't the whole picture.

Another falsehood, he played on some decent teams. In his 10 seasons the Lions made the playoffs 5 times. They did not make the playoffs his final season but oddly enough did the year after he quit! The Lions during the Barry years were also the first team to have 2 receivers both go over 100 receptions.

This argument that Barry played on terrible teams is old and tired and simply not true.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with the bold. Not sure how you came to those conclusions.

Well,..... Barry did seem to be allergic to training camp and Pre-Season games. Not really sure where the idea if him having a bad attitude would come from though. He's a notoriously humble, kind, mild mannered person who cared nothing for personal glory or individual statistics. (Opted to sit the end of Game 16 as a rookie, rather than pick up "meaningless" yards and a rushing title.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another falsehood, he played on some decent teams. In his 10 seasons the Lions made the playoffs 5 times. They did not make the playoffs his final season but oddly enough did the year after he quit! The Lions during the Barry years were also the first team to have 2 receivers both go over 100 receptions.

This argument that Barry played on terrible teams is old and tired and simply not true.

The argument that his lines were garbage is another fable that continues to grow as the years go by. Lomas Brown played in six straight Pro Bowls as a Lion in front of #20. (Not sure why everyone focus' on him "quitting". He retired with his health and Pride intact. Like his opponent in this matchup, Jim Brown. Bobby Ross is the guy that quit.) James Stewart was a RB for Detroit the three seasons after Barry, he topped 1000 yards rushing in two of those seasons. Nobody has managed to do it since.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is an extremely tough call IMO, but if I had to pick one I'd give a slight edge to Barry.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voting has ended...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah and in the 46 years before and after Barry they went to the playoffs another 5 times. Those 10 years they went to the playoffs 50% of the time and the surrounding 46 years since their last championship they went to the playoffs roughly 10% of the time. What could it have been about those 10 years that was responsible for them reaching the playoffs 5 times as often ? Maybe it was Scott Mitchell ? Or perhaps Wayne Fontes coaching brilliance ? Damn I'm stumped. :noidea:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and in the 46 years before and after Barry they went to the playoffs another 5 times. Those 10 years they went to the playoffs 50% of the time and the surrounding 46 years since their last championship they went to the playoffs roughly 10% of the time. What could it have been about those 10 years that was responsible for them reaching the playoffs 5 times as often ? Maybe it was Scott Mitchell ? Or perhaps Wayne Fontes coaching brilliance ? Damn I'm stumped. :noidea:

His last season with the team they didn't make the playoffs, the first year without him they did, guess it was all him...

Not sure what those other season have to do with anything? How does the fact the team sucked in all those other years have anything to do with Sanders? Sanders get all the praise and none of the blame. I guess he's all Lions fans have so I can understand.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His last season with the team they didn't make the playoffs, the first year without him they did, guess it was all him...

Not sure what those other season have to do with anything? How does the fact the team sucked in all those other years have anything to do with Sanders? Sanders get all the praise and none of the blame. I guess he's all Lions fans have so I can understand.

CJ, don't forget CJ. (Just don't try and put him up to high on the GOAT list, or I'll be forced to go all non-homer and talk about his hands.)

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

as a viking fan, I assume you watched the lions a fair amount during that time, you think they were good? You think Barry benefited from those around him? or do you think he lifted those around him? I watched them. I watched them a lot and he took those teams places they shouldn't have gone. Kind of like Peterson did once with the vikings and a pretty good defense.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a viking fan, I assume you watched the lions a fair amount during that time, you think they were good? You think Barry benefited from those around him? or do you think he lifted those around him? I watched them. I watched them a lot and he took those teams places they shouldn't have gone. Kind of like Peterson did once with the vikings and a pretty good defense.

They were not without talent, but as a for instance, Herman Moore is the most overrated pro athlete in Detroit sports history because of Barry. The guy was nothing but 10 yard outs and 8 yard slants, then look for a place to fall down. He's a gentleman and a scholar but as a WR he makes zero pro bowls on any other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.