• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Belisario

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is giving wins away

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his record in save situations only:

2012 1 save - 4 blown saves 6.43 era 7 inn/9h/4bb

2013 1 save - 4 blown saves 9.00 era 5 inn/9h/1bb

2014 3 saves - 3 blown saves 9.89 era 9.1inn/11h/3bb

total record strictly as closer ..... 5 saves - 11 blown saves and a 8.53 era

he was good in set up situations but the dodgers learned very quickly in 2012 he was no closer. they tried him again in that role and again learned he couldn't close.

RV doesn't learn anything ... ever!

we desparately need a closer!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Belisario sucks, and frankly almost the whole pen does. As mediocre as Lindstrom is he was better than Belisario so his injury hurts.

I think the Sox had no intention of contending this year, the plan was to build this year to compete next year when Dunn is off the books (although in classic fashion Dunn is actually productive finally because...contract year!). So they didn't waste any real money on bullpen arms, which are the easiest pieces to get when you're ready to make your push.

Note the Sox payroll this year is in the lower half of all of the teams, they are seeing what they have before a push next year. I don't think they expected to be even as good as they are now, I suppose if they are in the wildcard hunt come July they might pick up some pen arms and try to make a push this year but I doubt it. I don't want them to rush things, I'd rather they deal Dunn at the deadline for a prospect.

It's exciting to see an actual plan coming around...they are scoring a ton, and that's without Garcia and for now Abreu. They went from having a lineup with almost ALL the hitters sucking to almost all of them solid, very few easy outs. Beckham maybe finally realizing his potential when he was a super-prospect, Flowers is hitting, Gillaspie, Ramirez too. This team will be good next year...

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and ... not surprisingly, you'd be wrong. first belisario only sucks as a closer. second webb, petrinka and putnam have been VERY good. only the crap the sox threw away millions on suck.

and i don't know what the sox expected (neither do you).

No doubt Belisario sucks, and frankly almost the whole pen does. As mediocre as Lindstrom is he was better than Belisario so his injury hurts.

I think the Sox had no intention of contending this year, the plan was to build this year to compete next year when Dunn is off the books (although in classic fashion Dunn is actually productive finally because...contract year!). So they didn't waste any real money on bullpen arms, which are the easiest pieces to get when you're ready to make your push.

Note the Sox payroll this year is in the lower half of all of the teams, they are seeing what they have before a push next year. I don't think they expected to be even as good as they are now, I suppose if they are in the wildcard hunt come July they might pick up some pen arms and try to make a push this year but I doubt it. I don't want them to rush things, I'd rather they deal Dunn at the deadline for a prospect.

It's exciting to see an actual plan coming around...they are scoring a ton, and that's without Garcia and for now Abreu. They went from having a lineup with almost ALL the hitters sucking to almost all of them solid, very few easy outs. Beckham maybe finally realizing his potential when he was a super-prospect, Flowers is hitting, Gillaspie, Ramirez too. This team will be good next year...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its annoying that he is being forced into this situation because of the injuries but after this many screw ups we need to try another option.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its annoying that he is being forced into this situation because of the injuries but after this many screw ups we need to try another option.

completely agree. the fact rv has not given the 3 other pitchers an opportunity, based on what they've done so far irritates the hell out of me. i believe he's doing this because of the $3M invested in him, which is the worst reason ever of playing someone (see the last 3 years of dunn), trying to justify their salaries while in the end just hurting the team. so to hell with this guy's history of closing.

the decision making is just unforgivable.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully we pulled out a couple of his blown saves

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true ... but i'd rather keep the needing-of-luck to a minimum.

of course but its a long season so such needs happen.

I would rather the offense consistently produce runs, especially for Quintana.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course but its a long season so such needs happen.

I would rather the offense consistently produce runs, especially for Quintana.

offense is great to have but pitching is where it's at. we've had great hitting in the past and it's not enough. it looks like offense will not be a problem this year as long as flowers, ramirez, beckham and viciedo don't revert to their former selves .... which appears unlikely atm.

but how to get that pitching? originally most thought it would be by trading at least a couple of these guys. do we still do that? cut the hitting back down to bolster the pen?

after this year dumping dunn will mean $15M is available, de aza another $4.25M, downs will be dropped for another $4M, belisario should be gone for another $3M, konerko gone for $2.5M, paulino SHOULD be gone and that's the $4M club option we'd save.
if we keep beckham he will undoubtedly want in the neighborhood of 7 or 8M, if we keep viciedo he'll want at least $5M, flowers will want $3 or 4M, hard to know what will happen with guys like eaton, lindstrom, jones, gillaspie, garcia etc.
rounded off it looks like about $32M lopped off and maybe $15M added. leaving the sox with maybe $16/17 to play with assuming total payroll stays about the same. what kind of pitching will that buy us? the sox absolutely blew $10M+ this year on bad relievers. who's to say that they wouldn't do the same next year?
i wish i had more confidence in the sox's choices, but from what i've seen the last few years with bad pickups and bad contracts i'm nervous. yes, they made some good choices too but much fewer of those.

the outfield looks potentially good. 1st, 2nd, ss and 3rd look good assuming these guys can keep playing like they are this year. catching still is a question in my mind. i will wait to see if flowers can keep his average above .270. but it's the pitching that scares me. we have just 2 dependable starters. and NO dependable relievers. putnam, webb and petricka MAY work out but it's way too early to assume that.

what i'm saying is that while i agree the hitting looks very good, it's the pitching that will make or break us. and of course there's also ventura at the helm who will hinder progress.

next year should be very interesting.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good breakdown of the money available for next year (for pitching). I'd add that they should probably increase their payroll as well to make their push next year. They are in the lower half of team payrolls, and JR has in the past been willing to be in the top third. If the potential for a winner is there they will shell out for pitching. And of course they can make a trade as well, and also hope another starter evolves into something decent. Relievers too. That's the beauty of a rebuilding year, this year is about seeing which of those relievers are going to be solid, without the pressure of trying to win right now. Same with the starters.

Agreed next year will be interesting, I'm of the opinion it will be GOOD interesting.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Eaton...he has been a little slow since he came back from the DL but we havent had legit speed at the top for a while. He just needs to get on base a little more regularly and be smart once he does get there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give credit, he was nails tonight in LA.

And how about Ventura gettin' mad...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's at it again...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing like getting the heart rate up...at least we won!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's at it again...

Two balls that should have been caught is Belisario's fault? One ball gets caught in the lights, and the other is played terribly by De Aza and goes off of his glove. Hardly on the pitcher. He did a very good job.