• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beer recipe for Holiday Porter

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have the Northern Brewer 2nd crack coffee stout extract kit. Looking at the grains, it appears to be closer to a porter than a stout as long as you leave the coffee out. So that is what I plan to do. I will brew that as per the recipe, just leave out the coffee.

In a smaller pan I am going to heat 1/2 gallon of water to 150 and add 1 lb of honey, 1/2 tsp each of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp of cloves. I will hold it at 150 for 20-30 minutes, then cool it down. After my wort is cool, I will add both to the fermenter and pitch 1 packet of US 04.

Let it ferment out in primary transfer to secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle.

There is a distinct possibility that this will be better next holiday season, and could be pretty harsh this one, but only time will tell.

Let me know what you guys think.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brewed this last night after work. Smelled absolutely amazing, tasted almost as good. I probably could have went with a bit more spice or a little less honey. Instead of adding the honey mixture to the wort, I added it straight to the fermenter and then poured the wort on top of it. I pitched the yeast at about 3 am and I had a little activity at 10:30 this morning.

I tasted the test sample and it was probably the best sample I have tasted, but there just wasn't much spice flavor. I am hoping that the yeast clears out enough sugars to let the spices come through.

I did a good job of hitting my target this time. The recipe said that my og should be 1.072 and I came in at 1.070. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how this one works out. I am excited to see how this one comes out, and that is saying a lot since I started with a stout kit.