• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

basketball salaries

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
can anyone explain to me how b ball salaries work compared to hockey?

i read the nets paid 90 million in a cap penalty? the cap is only 61 million i think and yet hockey we have 69 million? basketball is at i believe 6 billion a year and nhl is 4 billion. still kobe bryant is getting something like 23 million a year and the highest paid nhl player money wise i think is sidney getting 12 million?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Basketball is way top heavier in salaries. I believe that a player could have earner nearly $15M this season as a cap hit, however, NHL players have seemed to settle on the idea that they need to take less money to keep their teams better.

Also, the NBA cap isn't a hard cap like hockey, which is also why there's zero parity in the league. The nets wen't way over the cap and paid a luxury tax similar to how teams do in MLB.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less guys on an NBA roster. Somewhat similar caps with half the roster = bigger salaries for those guys.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less guys on an NBA roster. Somewhat similar caps with half the roster = bigger salaries for those guys.

Ditto. The roster is almost literally half of what it is in hockey.

NBA = 12 (I think) and NHL = 23

Plus, I'd like to think that most (clearly not all) NHL guys are a little more aware of how high salaries affect their teams and the league as a whole.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
that makes sense then. still find it so strange that they trade 1st round draft picks like its NOTHING! funny how a 1st rounder in hockey and football mean so much.

baseball dont even hear about their draft
basketball at least to me it seems they deal them left and right

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They definitely do throw firsts around like their worthless.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They mostly are worthless. It's really only at the top of the first round that you have "can't miss" guys. And even then, you still miss -- like Greg Oden (Kevin Durant went #2). In basketball it is much easier to sign or trade for already established guys.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are massive differences between NHL and NBA.

They use a soft cap like MLB does now but much harsher costs for going over. It mostly has to do with incentives to keep players on the same team (there are work-arounds). That is why the Nets are significantly above the salary cap in the NBA.

Indian is right about the salaries. NBA rosters are less than half the size of NHL rosters. assume Crosby's complement in the NBA gets 2x his salary you can see why he gets $12 mil and Kobe gets $23 mil.

As for the revenues; The percentage is decided in the collective bargaining agreement. I'm not sure exactly what they are for either sport but I'd assume differences would arise based on the different deals.

The draft pick value is different for several reasons. The first is because the NBA has player-friendly entry level contracts. For example, Imagine the Devils having to sign Severson for something like $3 million. .

The age level and lack of a minor league also add to the difference. These guys are all fairly known and developed at time of drafting. There are no wild-cards and it all comes down to how well you can fit the available players into your team. Management knows well ahead of time how strong a certain draft will be. They also don't have room to develop these guys. If the drafted player is signed, he has to be on the roster. If the team doesn't have space for a new rookie, there is no value to the pick. Going back to Severson, Imagine if he was drafted this summer (he is same age as NBA draftees) and needed a spot on the roster to play. Would he even have a spot on the current team?

There are several other reasons that I probably don't know much about, but overall There is almost no risk for NHL drafting, just missed opportunities. meanwhile, there is huge risk for NBA draftees. Sometimes it isn't worth having a draft pick at all.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's pretty crazy then your comparison to severs on and roster spot. Where do all these players that are drafted go? When your lineup is only 13 people. Why don't they have an ahl

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they do have the D league now. Basically a minor league system in practicality. You also have the Euro and Asian leagues where guys can go.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And they are still the property of the team that drafted them?

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they are still the property of the team that drafted them?

Admittedly, I'm not a huge NBA fan. I'm more interested in college basketball. But I am pretty sure there are less D-league teams than NBA teams. I believe affiliations are with multiple NBA teams. That's about as much as I can say for certain.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i hear ya...its just pretty insane that with how big basketball is and ncaa hoops no less that they aren't turning out more "pro" players.