• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barbie (2023)

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a line in Barbie with the narrator suggesting that Margot Robbie is the wrong character to be playing the part which is a bit of interesting meta commentary because she is actually perfect for the part of Barbie even if its really about some other woman in the real world.

I do think the movie has third act problems that hold it back from being something like movie of the year. I think there were ways to make the movie more satisfying and they kinda opted out because Ryan Gosling and his portrayal of Ken is more entertaining than anything else they could have done. There was definitely a window there to show the real Barbie working towards a functioning family unit with the daughter and dad. The dad is in about 10 seconds of the movie I think, looks a bit like maybe they were going for an older real Ken that was working on himself. Could've gone full-on Bluey showing everyone learning a lesson and feeling good. The had an out with Barbie being a stand in for any woman and rejecting Ken. The Barbie could be straight, independent, lesbian, whatever but the woman in real life playing with her was millennial/gen x married woman with 1 kid. Without connecting Ken to the real dad I think it leaves an awkwardness to the ending of the movie.

Still, if I'm ranking the four movies I saw in theaters this year then its pretty clearly: Oppenheimer > Barbie > Guardian 3 > Napoleon

I’m just saying the feminazis will never be happy until the movie ends with full on androcide

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the talk right now is that it's ironic that Robbie and Gerwig were not given Oscar nominations for their respective role in Barbie.

and it is...but I also don't know if they were deserving for those nominations.

the movie was good and each was good in their roles...but I don't think the nominations are driven by the patriarchy or anything...they just weren't the best performances when compared to others out there.

I am not mad at it...Barbie got plenty of nominations and did well...they can't have their cake and eat it to in this case.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people are going apeshit crazy robbie and the director were,nt nominated for oscars.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people are going apeshit crazy robbie and the director were,nt nominated for oscars.
what I took away from the movie is that Barbie and Ken can operate independent of each other. Ken's big thing was that he is "nothing without Barbie" and his discovery of patriarchy kind of gave him a way to realize that he could be...but he went too far.

so he got humbled and both he and Barbie came to the conclusion that they don't NEED each other to be relevant...they can do their own thing.

so the fact that Ken got a nom without Barbie IS kind of part of the message that movie was going for...

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I took away from the movie is that Barbie and Ken can operate independent of each other. Ken's big thing was that he is "nothing without Barbie" and his discovery of patriarchy kind of gave him a way to realize that he could be...but he went too far.

so he got humbled and both he and Barbie came to the conclusion that they don't NEED each other to be relevant...they can do their own thing.

so the fact that Ken got a nom without Barbie IS kind of part of the message that movie was going for...
never saw it or openheimer regretably.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never saw it or openheimer regretably.
I still need to see Openheimer.

the gf wants to watch Barbie again. We saw it in a drive in and the quality left something to be desired

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still need to see Openheimer.

the gf wants to watch Barbie again. We saw it in a drive in and the quality left something to be desired
i love drive ins.the last one in my area closed years ago.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are acting like Ryan Gosling was nominated for an Oscar in place of them which is ridiculous. Perhaps the female categories were more competitive where the men’s one wasn’t.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are acting like Ryan Gosling was nominated for an Oscar in place of them which is ridiculous. Perhaps the female categories were more competitive where the men’s one wasn’t.
I think that is very much the case. The actresses for best actress are stacked.

best supporting actor category, not so much.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barbie is a comedy. Its always an uphill battle for a comedy to get a ton of awards. I doubt its going to win any acting awards. Probably wins in music and set design.

I haven't even seen Killers of the Flower Moon but they have an actual native american activist playing the lead and Scorsese picked her out because of her ability to act with her eyes. Id be a little surprised if she didnt win.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barbie is a comedy. Its always an uphill battle for a comedy to get a ton of awards. I doubt its going to win any acting awards. Probably wins in music and set design.

I haven't even seen Killers of the Flower Moon but they have an actual native american activist playing the lead and Scorsese picked her out because of her ability to act with her eyes. Id be a little surprised if she didnt win.
started that last night...no way I am sitting through a 3.5 hr movie

she is good though

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that any actor got nominated for a role in barbie tells you all you need to know about the state of the oscars....

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that any actor got nominated for a role in barbie tells you all you need to know about the state of the oscars....
...what exactly does it tell you?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's also a 2 hour toy commercial.