• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G 10 hypocrisy

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree.

I agree with some of what you say, but I can't get behind this conspiracy theory. Schools are throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars and screwing over businesses that rely on fans because "fuck Trump!"?

No

OSU is one of the few teams that could go Indy if they wanted.

The bad part would be that I doubt the B1G would let them play all the other sports, so they'd have to find a home there.

Join the Big East in all other sports. Rivalries would be affected, but all your other sports would have a home, and you'd be in a basketball league with Nova, UConn etc. They'd be at 12 teams, play in MSG for the conference tournament. Bball recruiting wouldn't be affected at all IMO. Plus the Big East could then redo the bball deal and you'll get an additional 5 mil/yr or so I'd guess.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to be becoming a larger and larger consensus among OSU fans. We're realizing just how much we've been carrying the majority of this conference over the years. I'm not a huge fan of going independent because I like the idea of being able to win a conference and have that 13th game, but from a financial standpoint it would most likely make a ton of sense in the long run.

Pretty much. Take away OSU and the rest of the conference has played in exactly zero BCS/CFP title games. Throw the other sports in the Big East and call it a day.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AAU connection is too important to BIG members imo

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, they panicked. I think the thought was things were going to get worse, but when they got better, they didn't know what to do and just cancelled and stated some bullshit about player security that's entirely baseless. It's an astonishing embarrassment and I wouldn't be upset if it means OSU leaving the B1G for good.
bro.. YOUR PRESIDENT voted for no football.. or whomever is the interim. How can you get mad at the conference?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is incorrect.
so if the vote was 12-2 and nebraska and iowa were the only ones on record to vote for.. who voted for tosu? and if they didn't who got the extra vote??

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if the vote was 12-2 and nebraska and iowa were the only ones on record to vote for.. who voted for tosu? and if they didn't who got the extra vote??
That wasn't the official vote, they even came out shortly after that was being reported and said it wasn't.

Ohio State Was Against Postponement With Athletic Director Gene Smith and President-Elect Kristina Johnson “Totally Aligned” in Their Views

In a statement released shortly after the Big Ten's decision, athletic director Gene Smith and president-elect Kristina Johnson made it clear that Ohio State was in favor of delaying the start to the season, not postponing it to spring.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my friends is a huge OSU fan and he basically said the same thing. I would be curious where they would end up? I told him being independent would probably be the way to go. The B1G needs OSU more than OSU needs the B1G. If OSU is willing to take a little bit of a hit financially in terms of TV revenue, it's definitely possible. I told my friend that a network like NBC could throw 30-35 mil/yr for OSU home games, which would definitely enhance NBC's football coverage. You might be able to guarantee an NBC game every week, and when both play at home the same day, ND starts at 3:30, OSU starts at 7:30/8:00.

And that 30-35 mil/yr might even be low honestly. ND's revenue isn't public knowledge, but it's believed to be around 15-20, and I think that was last signed in 2013, and runs through 2026. I don't think it's far fetched for OSU to get double of what ND signed off on in 2014.
I've wondered for quite while now why the "biggies" haven't wanted to do exactly what you describe for Ohio State. Those huge brands don't need conferences in football to make big bucks IMO. All of them could have very lucrative agreements for all the so called "tiers" or whatever the next platform may look like. I'd pay to watch Ohio State games but I ain't paying to watch Northwestern vs Indiana.

I understand the need for conferences in the other sports, but that may damn well be changing as well.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've wondered for quite while now why the "biggies" haven't wanted to do exactly what you describe for Ohio State. Those huge brands don't need conferences in football to make big bucks IMO. All of them could have very lucrative agreements for all the so called "tiers" or whatever the next platform may look like. I'd pay to watch Ohio State games but I ain't paying to watch Northwestern vs Indiana.

I understand the need for conferences in the other sports, but that may damn well be changing as well.

College football is already disjointed as it is if everyone goes rogue that would make things even more messy. Ultimately this could force the power schools to break away from the G5 though

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand what delaying it does at all. Push us further into flu season? That makes no sense.
So the 12-2 vote was about the state of the B1G as a whole in regards to safety protocol. Iowa and Nebraska were the only two schools that were happy with how each schools measures were, while the other 12 said further measures still were needed at some of the schools. Delaying the start of the season would ensure the ability for every school to make sure their protocols were where they needed to be.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the 12-2 vote was about the state of the B1G as a whole in regards to safety protocol. Iowa and Nebraska were the only two schools that were happy with how each schools measures were, while the other 12 said further measures still were needed at some of the schools. Delaying the start of the season would ensure the ability for every school to make sure their protocols were where they needed to be.

It's unacceptable frankly that they hadn't lined it out yet.

I appreciate the sentiment behind title IX (I know this is a total left field comment) but this is where it seems like football and possibly hoops would operate better as their own entities. Maybe let the other sports be funded in other means to do an end around title ix. With the likeness stuff rearing its head and the money complications being inevitable I don't think you can continue to have the two linked with the other stuff.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pay to watch Ohio State games but I ain't paying to watch Northwestern vs Indiana.
Northwestern @ Indiana Football Game Class of 2010!

True Story: I've been to a Northwestern @ Indiana Football Game (10/30/2010). The Wildcats pulled out a plucky 20-17 victory.

Todd Rundgren was the Indiana Marching Hundred Guest Band Conductor, and "Bang on the Drum" was the official song of the day!

Go U! NU!

Angry red

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bro.. YOUR PRESIDENT voted for no football.. or whomever is the interim. How can you get mad at the conference?

I believe it was 8-6 and very contentious, but, but Nebraska!!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it a coincidence, as it stands right now, that the two major P5 conferences that have shut down are littered with mostly blue states and swing states?

It's why as the Big10 starts to see what an unpopular opinion it was to cancel the season so quickly, that I think they reverse their decision and start early October or something. Just like how suddenly out of the blue the guys in New York started saying schools need to be held in person. I think they were finding out internally how unpopular it was to continue distant learning.

Unfortunately the Pac-12's shot at reversing their decision is bleak. Maybe if 4 of the P5's play, they re-think it, it will depend on if the players had been consistently practicing or not, they could still aim for that early October start date, but I doubt it. Oregon/Washington/California Governors really really really don't like Trump.

I think that if the B1G reverses their decision, the PAC will too and vice versa.

volbound2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. Take away OSU and the rest of the conference has played in exactly zero BCS/CFP title games. Throw the other sports in the Big East and call it a day.

I am glad people have been educated by my B1G team threads :).