• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G 10 hypocrisy

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liability for what, though? No way a case can be won when there isn't a way to prove when and where a virus is contracted. Do we sue over catching flu like often happens any other year during football?

And these players are not required to pLay anyway, they can always decide to not play football.

You get what I am saying and it makes sense, unlike the knee jerk reaction to not play. I just think something else is the root cause but Covid is the scapegoat because it is a convenient scapegoat.

And players milling about in the general population are now more susceptible to getting it (they were going to get it eventually, anyway) as opposed to a strict and ridged daily routine for players. These presidents are morons.

See OU.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be shocking if the ACC/SEC/Big 12 don't cancel as things get closer and closer. It's becoming apparent that any conferences cancelling were stupid to do so, just as it was stupid to change schedules to 10 games and get rid of OOC games. None of this is based in any kind of science, it's just chickenshit dumbasses panicking all around.
In such an extremely fluid environment as this with everything changing hour-by-hour, it's so hard to understand how the people who make these major decisions could get together and make an obviously rash decision.

Unless the decision was already made, and like some are claiming, this is all foregone conclusion and political bullshit.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that was equally stupid. Cancelling games in any sport is baseless and ignorant.
Don't disagree.

Liability for what, though? No way a case can be won when there isn't a way to prove when and where a virus is contracted. Do we sue over catching flu like often happens any other year during football?

And these players are not required to pLay anyway, they can always decide to not play football.

You get what I am saying and it makes sense, unlike the knee jerk reaction to not play. I just think something else is the root cause but Covid is the scapegoat because it is a convenient scapegoat.

And players milling about in the general population are now more susceptible to getting it (they were going to get it eventually, anyway) as opposed to a strict and ridged daily routine for players. These presidents are morons.

See OU.

I agree with some of what you say, but I can't get behind this conspiracy theory. Schools are throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars and screwing over businesses that rely on fans because "fuck Trump!"?

No

One of my friends is a huge OSU fan and he basically said the same thing. I would be curious where they would end up? I told him being independent would probably be the way to go. The B1G needs OSU more than OSU needs the B1G. If OSU is willing to take a little bit of a hit financially in terms of TV revenue, it's definitely possible. I told my friend that a network like NBC could throw 30-35 mil/yr for OSU home games, which would definitely enhance NBC's football coverage. You might be able to guarantee an NBC game every week, and when both play at home the same day, ND starts at 3:30, OSU starts at 7:30/8:00.

And that 30-35 mil/yr might even be low honestly. ND's revenue isn't public knowledge, but it's believed to be around 15-20, and I think that was last signed in 2013, and runs through 2026. I don't think it's far fetched for OSU to get double of what ND signed off on in 2014.

OSU is one of the few teams that could go Indy if they wanted.

The bad part would be that I doubt the B1G would let them play all the other sports, so they'd have to find a home there.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it a coincidence, as it stands right now, that the two major P5 conferences that have shut down are littered with mostly blue states and swing states?

It's why as the Big10 starts to see what an unpopular opinion it was to cancel the season so quickly, that I think they reverse their decision and start early October or something. Just like how suddenly out of the blue the guys in New York started saying schools need to be held in person. I think they were finding out internally how unpopular it was to continue distant learning.

Unfortunately the Pac-12's shot at reversing their decision is bleak. Maybe if 4 of the P5's play, they re-think it, it will depend on if the players had been consistently practicing or not, they could still aim for that early October start date, but I doubt it. Oregon/Washington/California Governors really really really don't like Trump.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my friends is a huge OSU fan and he basically said the same thing. I would be curious where they would end up? I told him being independent would probably be the way to go. The B1G needs OSU more than OSU needs the B1G. If OSU is willing to take a little bit of a hit financially in terms of TV revenue, it's definitely possible. I told my friend that a network like NBC could throw 30-35 mil/yr for OSU home games, which would definitely enhance NBC's football coverage. You might be able to guarantee an NBC game every week, and when both play at home the same day, ND starts at 3:30, OSU starts at 7:30/8:00.

And that 30-35 mil/yr might even be low honestly. ND's revenue isn't public knowledge, but it's believed to be around 15-20, and I think that was last signed in 2013, and runs through 2026. I don't think it's far fetched for OSU to get double of what ND signed off on in 2014.
This seems to be becoming a larger and larger consensus among OSU fans. We're realizing just how much we've been carrying the majority of this conference over the years. I'm not a huge fan of going independent because I like the idea of being able to win a conference and have that 13th game, but from a financial standpoint it would most likely make a ton of sense in the long run.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In such an extremely fluid environment as this with everything changing hour-by-hour, it's so hard to understand how the people who make these major decisions could get together and make an obviously rash decision.

Unless the decision was already made, and like some are claiming, this is all foregone conclusion and political bullshit.
Each day that passes, my feeling that this is true continues to get stronger. Not only in sports, either.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cancelled MLB games, and that was professional, paid athletes. They aren't going to cancel CFB games with positive tests?
I think you can just sit out who ever tests positive and keep playing. That’s what should be done

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can just sit out who ever tests positive and keep playing. That’s what should be done
If you want to play, you can have to come to terms that people will catch it, spread it, but nobody is likely to get very sick.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did a single player from either team have symptoms?

Yes I know several did

I tend to agree that small outbreaks should be played through in baseball. But I can see a one day wait to see how tests go. Same as a rain ppd

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry... Just found other things to do, and saving money
In other words, what you meant to say is "I don't need it." See, that's the problem. People thinking that what works for them works for everyone else. The HS kids losing their chance to go to a college to play football, the college kids losing out on getting to the pros, the cities losing millions meaning businesses will close. They all "need" it, it's just you that don't. Congrats on finding ways to spend your time ... you aren't everyone.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, what you meant to say is "I don't need it." See, that's the problem. People thinking that what works for them works for everyone else. The HS kids losing their chance to go to a college to play football, the college kids losing out on getting to the pros, the cities losing millions meaning businesses will close. They all "need" it, it's just you that don't. Congrats on finding ways to spend your time ... you aren't everyone.
K

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Specifically they didn't mention many names. Ryan Helsley was one. If you mean symptoms by serious symptoms then not that I'm aware of.

We all want our sports and I don't agree with the BIG's decision for the record. I also don't think small precautions are crazy. And the kind of outbreaks the Marlins and Cardinals had definitely require some shutdowns.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Specifically they didn't mention many names. Ryan Helsley was one. If you mean symptoms by serious symptoms then not that I'm aware of.

We all want our sports and I don't agree with the BIG's decision for the record. I also don't think small precautions are crazy. And the kind of outbreaks the Marlins and Cardinals had definitely require some shutdowns.
He had a low grade fever. I can't find any other players from either team that even had that.

Strongly, strongly disagree about the shutdowns. They're irrational and unnecessary.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each day that passes, my feeling that this is true continues to get stronger. Not only in sports, either.

WeA_e4hv3svIqH8pJIfrX3VRluNlc59xV_TG_A0x7GM.jpg

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to play, you can have to come to terms that people will catch it, spread it, but nobody is likely to get very sick.
Maybe a Michigan player or two would get really sick.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a low grade fever. I can't find any other players from either team that even had that.

Strongly, strongly disagree about the shutdowns. They're irrational and unnecessary.

I'd agree if they were in a bubble. If baseball knows that many have been involved in an outbreak and didn't take action if they became a mass spread point you open yourself to problems.

One suggestion i I had previously was that kind of blowup means some protocols were not adhered to and they should be forced to use a taxi squad. Now that I could see so that opposing teams aren't punished with a bunch of double headers when they did what they were supposed to.