• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Astros Sale

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can understand their reluctance. the team is built to play in the NL. they would be okay with having to rebuild in the NL mold but shifting to the AL means a total rework of the ML team and a restructuring of their draft system. they have been drafting to fill a NL mold and now if the move is made they have to rework their scouts to look at the players with an AL slant

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can understand their reluctance. the team is built to play in the NL. they would be okay with having to rebuild in the NL mold but shifting to the AL means a total rework of the ML team and a restructuring of their draft system. they have been drafting to fill a NL mold and now if the move is made they have to rework their scouts to look at the players with an AL slant

Is that really an issue? It isn't like they have a stocked farm system. They aren't drafting pitchers on the way they hit. I guess you can say they don't have the prototypical DH that can't field but can hit it a mile, unless Lee sticks around.

I don't see the AL conversion as that tough. They have a bad team, and need to be completely rebuilt no matter if they are in the NL or AL. it isn't like they are talking about taking a top team that is competing in their current league and trying to move them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that really an issue? It isn't like they have a stocked farm system. They aren't drafting pitchers on the way they hit. I guess you can say they don't have the prototypical DH that can't field but can hit it a mile, unless Lee sticks around.

I don't see the AL conversion as that tough. They have a bad team, and need to be completely rebuilt no matter if they are in the NL or AL. it isn't like they are talking about taking a top team that is competing in their current league and trying to move them.

they are saying that is one of the major reasons they don't want to move.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are saying that is one of the major reasons they don't want to move.

I think that is what people are saying because if they were to just say "its not the way it always has been" then they will be laughed out of the room. So they are looking for any excuse.

Purists don't want it, realists see it as a necessary first step. MKE should never have been moved the NL to begin with, but now it needs to be fixed.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is what people are saying because if they were to just say "its not the way it always has been" then they will be laughed out of the room. So they are looking for any excuse.

Purists don't want it, realists see it as a necessary first step. MKE should never have been moved the NL to begin with, but now it needs to be fixed.

i agree with you on MKE but moving Houston only compounds the earlier mistakes made by MLB.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with you on MKE but moving Houston only compounds the earlier mistakes made by MLB.

Yeah, but they won't admit error and move MKE back.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with fordman with regards that the Astros aren't built for any league. :L

A move to the American League could help with attendance and getting new teams in therefore generating revenue to help them.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as revenue goes. The Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs are sure more interesting to watch than the Angels, Athletics and Mariners. Problem with the AL West Teams is that both the Mariners and Athletics are so Hamstrung financially that they can't go out and get players to make themselves more attractive. This would hurt the Astros Home Attendance in my Opinion. The NL Teams in their Division are much bigger Attendance Draws. Those teams would sellout Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as revenue goes. The Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs are sure more interesting to watch than the Angels, Athletics and Mariners. Problem with the AL West Teams is that both the Mariners and Athletics are so Hamstrung financially that they can't go out and get players to make themselves more attractive. This would hurt the Astros Home Attendance in my Opinion. The NL Teams in their Division are much bigger Attendance Draws. Those teams would sellout Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

Yeah, but you aren't going to move the reigning two time AL Champs to the NL.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, but you aren't going to move the reigning two time AL Champs to the NL.

This issue is concerning the Astros. The Rangers are staying put. Its a natural state rivalry that interests both cities. Unfortunately the other AL West Teams aren't as interesting as the NL Teams that are currently in their Division.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least a move might help them win some more games since they'd be in a weaker division. I'd focus on that more than time zones en sech.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Karma is a bitch. Judge Roy Hofheniz, Houston's original owner, was always standing in the way of the DFW area acquiring a team back in the 60's. Had it not been for his greedy efforts both Texas and Houston would probably be in the NL.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is good news for Ranger fans. Houston is definitely going to be in the AL West and is pretty terrible right now. Should be good for a few automatic easy wins, no?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with fordman with regards that the Astros aren't built for any league. :L

A move to the American League could help with attendance and getting new teams in therefore generating revenue to help them.

Sorry ... that's flat wrong.

Attendance is attendance. Makes no difference which league you in. The money is in TV ... and a HOU move to the ALW in the face of TEX FSSW TV deal is not going to make as much money for HOU as it would if it remained in the NLC.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry ... that's flat wrong.

Attendance is attendance. Makes no difference which league you in. The money is in TV ... and a HOU move to the ALW in the face of TEX FSSW TV deal is not going to make as much money for HOU as it would if it remained in the NLC.

The Astros and Their Fans are Livid Right Now. All around bad for them. They will lose the Cardinals, Reds, Cubs and Brewers coming into Minute Maid Park at least Twice a Year. At the same time the Astros don't exactly get the Fans excited in Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim when they play on the Road. Both the Rangers and Astros will draw well when they play each other. Natural State Rivalry. But the Stros will miss those NL Teams coming in to their park.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros and Their Fans are Livid Right Now. All around bad for them. They will lose the Cardinals, Reds, Cubs and Brewers coming into Minute Maid Park at least Twice a Year. At the same time the Astros don't exactly get the Fans excited in Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim when they play on the Road. Both the Rangers and Astros will draw well when they play each other. Natural State Rivalry. But the Stros will miss those NL Teams coming in to their park.

a lawyer is suing saying that the move violates the Astros contract with Minute Maid Park. the contract states that their opponents at home will be National League teams

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a lawyer is suing saying that the move violates the Astros contract with Minute Maid Park. the contract states that their opponents at home will be National League teams

And I'm sure that somewhere else it states that the teams or terms are subject to change.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm sure that somewhere else it states that the teams or terms are subject to change.

can't find the article but i'm sure there is but the one section they quoted emphatically stated "National League opponents"