• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Assassin's Creed Shadows

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The much requested thing is actually happening, the franchise is going to Japan. Just a cinematic trailer so far but it still looks cool. Some details:

-dual protagonists
-map size similar to Origins
-release date is November 15

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats interesting. My first thought before seeing what was going on was 'lol they're making Ghost of Tsushima again' but based on everything I'm seeing it sounds like they're making a cinematic Ubisoft Tenchu game. The guy/girl missions thing was done in Syndicate but IIRC everyone liked the stealth girl more than the guy in that game. Having a big black dude in Japan is either going to be the coolest thing ever or genuinely cringe with almost no middle ground.

This is definitely on my radar. I feel that Odyssey fans and Mirage fans are very different players. Im not sure what 'Assassins Creed' really is in 2024.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats interesting. My first thought before seeing what was going on was 'lol they're making Ghost of Tsushima again' but based on everything I'm seeing it sounds like they're making a cinematic Ubisoft Tenchu game. The guy/girl missions thing was done in Syndicate but IIRC everyone liked the stealth girl more than the guy in that game. Having a big black dude in Japan is either going to be the coolest thing ever or genuinely cringe with almost no middle ground.

This is definitely on my radar. I feel that Odyssey fans and Mirage fans are very different players. Im not sure what 'Assassins Creed' really is in 2024.

Fwiw, the black samurai is based on a real person. And based on the trailer, I'm gonna guess the woman is gonna have more traditional stealth/assassin skillset and the samurai is gonna have a more slasher Odyssey type skillset. My guess is you can choose to play as either but there will be certain mission where you have to play as one or the other. If its like that, my personal game play still will probably have me playing more as the woman shinobi.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, the black samurai is based on a real person. And based on the trailer, I'm gonna guess the woman is gonna have more traditional stealth/assassin skillset and the samurai is gonna have a more slasher Odyssey type skillset. My guess is you can choose to play as either but there will be certain mission where you have to play as one or the other. If its like that, my personal game play still will probably have me playing more as the woman shinobi.
Yeah, and that seems consistent with Syndicate. Most people will want to play the assassin game as the assassin I'd imagine.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they fix all the issues with the controls. As much as I love Valhalla, it's always hard to come back to after playing other games with much smoother control systems.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and that seems consistent with Syndicate. Most people will want to play the assassin game as the assassin I'd imagine.

You'd think so but there's a good chunk of the fan base that really loves Odyssey. I don't get it either. It's such a departure from the play style that its basically a different game. Maybe people just really wanted to slash some fools up as a Spartan

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think so but there's a good chunk of the fan base that really loves Odyssey. I don't get it either. It's such a departure from the play style that its basically a different game. Maybe people just really wanted to slash some fools up as a Spartan
Yeah, Odyssey was a big action game at a time when I think we needed a big goofy action game. The two big games that year were Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War and they both took themselves pretty seriously.

For me, Ghost of Tsushima was an 8.5/10 type of game. There is a real space for AC Shadows to do things better. Better enemy variety, better late game combat, better pacing early on. That said, Ubisoft seems to be leading with its story beats and its going to have to work hard to even match GoT imo. The female character in Shadows is probably going to be the one compared to Jin for GoT and I suspect thats going to be tough.

Yasuke, on the other hand...kind of a blank slate. Japan has done a couple of takes on him and they usually go for 'cool badass' and I'm hoping thats what Ubisoft goes for. If they go for stoic plank of wood then that might be disappointing. Ubisoft is going out of their way to show a non traditional ninja and samurai in a traditional setting. Hopefully they remember to lean into 'fun' with the game's design.