• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A's Trade Seth Smith To Padres For Luke Gregerson

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres have acquired outfielder Seth Smith from the A's in exchange for right-hander Luke Gregerson in a one-for-one swap, according to Chris Kusiolek (on Twitter). Multiple national outlets have confirmed the report, including FOX Sports and Yahoo Sports.
Smith, 31, batted .253/.329/.391 with eight home runs in 410 plate appearances for Oakland this season. Always a better hitter against right-handed pitching, he continued that trend in 2013, posting a .748 OPS against right-handers and just a .621 mark against lefties. For his career, Smith has mashed right-handers to the tune of a .279/.357/.487 batting line. Smith's defense in left field has consistently graded out as a positive (+7.7 UZR/150, +2 Defensive Runs Saved), but he's limited to a corner position and hasn't received great marks in right field.
MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projected Smith to earn $4.3MM this offseason in his final round of arbitration. He's eligible for free agency next winter.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Minor deal, but the A's have been very active thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice move...very solid bullpen forming for you guys to go with that young starting pitching...Rangers need to get busy!

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also got Gentry from the Rangers for power hitting prospect Michael Choice not sure how that will play out but Beane is in wheeler dealer mode right now. Anderson and Cespedes deals have also been discussed but it seems Andersen is much more likely to be dealt.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also got Gentry from the Rangers for power hitting prospect Michael Choice not sure how that will play out but Beane is in wheeler dealer mode right now. Anderson and Cespedes deals have also been discussed but it seems Andersen is much more likely to be dealt.

DF, what're thoughts on Reddick? Great fielder, anemic hitter (last year). We need to upgrade at 2nd and/or RF. Or move Lowrie to 2nd & upgrade at SS. Which is the biggest need?

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DF, what're thoughts on Reddick? Great fielder, anemic hitter (last year). We need to upgrade at 2nd and/or RF. Or move Lowrie to 2nd & upgrade at SS. Which is the biggest need?

I'm mixed on Reddick, he hurt his wrist early last season so it's possible he was never healthy I'm fine with him in RF as he's a gold glove defender even if he can't hit that well but he needs to hit 8th or 9th if that's the case. Reddick really needs to mature though the baby crap of throwing a fit every time he makes an out is a bad vibe the club doesn't need to see from a .220ish hitter.

I'd like Jed at second but the A's seem content with him at short, I think he hurts us with his lack of range. I guess Callaspo is probably the starter at second with Punto backing him up. Somehow if we moved Anderson and got an upgrade in the middle of the infield I'd be very excited about it.

I think outfield is fine if Reddick really falls off we have Gentry who is very good and Moss can also shift into a corner position for us.

To answer you though I'd say SS is the biggest need with Jed being better at second base for us, not sure the front office feels that way.

How do you feel about it ? I've also read we are looking to upgrade at catcher, I feel we are set there with Norris, Vogt and Jaso.

averagewins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stating that Gentry is really good is beyond stupid. :lol:

The guy is so bad he's 30, and has never started in his career. he has no power. He doesn't hit for average. Basically, he's a defensive replacement. So Beane trades another first round pick for a guy that doesn't start. You can't make this crap up.