• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armchair GM for the Lakers...

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
morning, boys and girls. ok, i know it's preseason and nothing's etched in stone as far as the roster, the real game plans, etc go. but i wanted to kind of open up something of a discussion on what you guys think you in Jeannie/short Buss's position of calling the shots for our Lakers. personnel, cap management, coaching, it's all fair game. and since i'm feeling a tad more "empowered" thanks to our "no trolls with disgusting body odor" policy(i know, cheap shot. let raving paranoids with a penchant for lying alone) i just kinda wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what the team should do going forward...

i want to thank Retro and TF12 btw for their insight and lakersrule as well. lakersboy i THINK is new, but seems the guy's pretty cool and a welcome addition around here, and i'm guessing Vitamike will also be along at some point. also as pointed out by Retro on another thread any fans that AREN'T Lakers fans of course can drop their opinions in as well(as long as it isn't for TROLLING purposes). anyways, we all know that we're going to have a lot of money to spend on FA in 2014, so a whole lot of dead money's coming off the books. also does anyone think Steve Nash might call it quits after this season(i have a sneaking suspicion he might based on his minutes getting limited, age, etc) which'd mean even MORE money to spend. also of course there's the right now with the current roster to consider. have at it, fellas...:suds:

Go Lakers!!!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the summer of 2014 is going to be when the Lakers strike big in free agency. Lebron is not coming to Los Angeles. I don't think Carmelo is either (not that I would want him). I like some of the next tier of free agents but wouldn't want to have to pay them max contracts. They are not worth it in this CBA climate.

I think the Lakers will end up being under the luxury tax threshold, maybe even the salary cap, in 2014/2015 which I think will reset them on avoiding the severe restrictions of being a repeater tax payer. The summer of 2015 will see former UCLA great Kevin Love signing with the Lakers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with rule. I think the Lakers will make a very strong pitch to Lebron (sorry CL!!). He's the best player in the game, so they kind of have to, but I think he ultimately stays in Miami.

It would be fun to see him sign with the Lakers just because turnip would have a meltdown that would burn down the internet!!:lol:

Assuming that Lebron doesn't become a Laker, I think they will sign a couple of solid, non-max deal free agents to improve the roster and then look to make a "splash" in the 2015 free agent market. I agree with rule that it will likely be Kevin Love. They may get another top flight free agent as well.

I agree with the consensus and don't want Carmelo. Fortunately, he has apparently said that he's not leaving the Knicks, so that hopefully means they don't even bother with an offer.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good input, guys(well, except for TF12's wanting LeClown comment. though seeing Turnip in yet ANOTHER straight jacket would be funny). another thing i kinda want to toss out is actually a bit of a change of policy, so to speak, considering draft picks with this organization. in the past we've gone away from them and simply re-loaded. but in the face of the new CBA and all would it be wiser to start accumulating picks and start kinda building through the draft again? i know no picks THIS upcoming off-season, but i'm not sure how we're sitting with the next one...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Nash, I think he, Kobe and Pau are all in the same category. Their desire to continue playing (as well as the teams desire to have them back) will be determined by their health and how they perform this season.

The difficult thing with all 3 is that they are all "old" players, but they can still play at a very high level when healthy. So, if they perform at a high level this season, do you potentially delay the re-build by re-signing them, or do you let them go because it's better to cut them loose a season or 2 early than to cut them loose a season or 2 late?

To me, the biggest question mark will be Kobe. I love what he has done for the team, but he has a gigantic ego and has basically said: "No discount"!! When he returns, if he plays anywhere close to his pre-injury level, the question will become: How much will he demand and how much will the Lakers be willing to pay?

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Nash, I think he, Kobe and Pau are all in the same category. Their desire to continue playing (as well as the teams desire to have them back) will be determined by their health and how they perform this season.

The difficult thing with all 3 is that they are all "old" players, but they can still play at a very high level when healthy. So, if they perform at a high level this season, do you potentially delay the re-build by re-signing them, or do you let them go because it's better to cut them loose a season or 2 early than to cut them loose a season or 2 late?

To me, the biggest question mark will be Kobe. I love what he has done for the team, but he has a gigantic ego and has basically said: "No discount"!! When he returns, if he plays anywhere close to his pre-injury level, the question will become: How much will he demand and how much will the Lakers be willing to pay?

agree with the old player thing. as an owner or GM personally i would have to look at the big picture and see it this way, what's going to benefit my TEAM more in the immediate future. and as cold as it sounds if Kobe, Nash OR Pau want too much it becomes a matter of letting all 3 go because you have no choice but to stay competitive with the rest of the league. in my case i HAVE to go with younger, more athletic talent simply because that's what's on demand these days in the NBA. if next season is "too soon" i'd still have to err on the side of caution and jettison all 3 IF i had to. just sayin'...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good input, guys(well, except for TF12's wanting LeClown comment. though seeing Turnip in yet ANOTHER straight jacket would be funny). another thing i kinda want to toss out is actually a bit of a change of policy, so to speak, considering draft picks with this organization. in the past we've gone away from them and simply re-loaded. but in the face of the new CBA and all would it be wiser to start accumulating picks and start kinda building through the draft again? i know no picks THIS upcoming off-season, but i'm not sure how we're sitting with the next one...

Don't get me wrong, it's not about wanting Lebron, it's about what I think the Lakers will do. Whether we like it or not, he is the best player in the game today and the Lakers will make a strong pitch for him (they've already indicated this as much as they can under the rules). As I've pointed out in the past, they didn't set these contracts up so that all of them expire at the same time by accident. There is a plan in place for all of that money.

As for re-building through the draft? Yes and no. The good thing about the Lakers compared to most of the rest of the league is that they can essentially do both. They can go after the max deal free agents and add complimentary players who become big contributors through the draft (think Michael Cooper, D-Fish, etc.)!!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers do have a first rounder next summer. In the short term, I think the Lakers can use the draft for role players, but they aren't getting a star. That's gonna come through free agency.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that was just postering by Kobe. I think depending on who the Lakers can sign will determine what Kobe will take. I think Kobe would take a significant pay cut if say the Lakers can get Lebron and another. However, if the Lakers are gonna have a similar roster next season as this one, Kobe won't need to take that significant one.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers do have a first rounder next summer. In the short term, I think the Lakers can use the draft for role players, but they aren't getting a star. That's gonna come through free agency.

draft for this upcoming offseason is supposed to be a strong one, though. next season i'm not so sure about...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was just postering by Kobe. I think depending on who the Lakers can sign will determine what Kobe will take. I think Kobe would take a significant pay cut if say the Lakers can get Lebron and another. However, if the Lakers are gonna have a similar roster next season as this one, Kobe won't need to take that significant one.

Not landing Lebron may strengthen Kobe's argument to take more money, but if he did and the Lakers signed him for it, that would be very shortsighted (unless it's a 1 year deal) on both parts, imo.

If, as most of us are assuming, Lebron stays in Miami, there is still the following free agent market in which to land another max deal player.

I'd hate to see the Lakers sign Kobe to too big a contract for 2014, only to end up wishing they hadn't in 2015!! Overpaying Kobe, imo, would result in the "armageddon scenario" that haters like turnip are so clearly hoping for.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there will be a pay cut. I just think it will be dependent on what FAs realistically the Lakers can sign. I was thinking one year deal as well. They'll want to preserve that cap space for 2015.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there will be a pay cut. I just think it will be dependent on what FAs realistically the Lakers can sign. I was thinking one year deal as well. They'll want to preserve that cap space for 2015.

:agree: Assuming no Lebron, the Lakers need to preserve as much cap space as possible for 2015. I agree that Kobe will sign for less, the question will be, how much less? I'm not sure he'd agree to a 1 year deal though.

I also think that Kobe's comment has been taken a bit out of context. Just because he's basically said: No discount, doesn't mean he's going to expect another max deal. It simply means that he is going to try to get as much money as he can, which is exactly what he should do.

If Kobe is anything close to pre-injury Kobe, it will make for a very interesting off-season. Kobe has been adamant that he will retire a Laker which, combined with his contract expiring would seem to give the Lakers the upper hand. It will be interesting to see how adamant he remains if the Lakers offer is too far below what his demands are.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no doubt in my mind. in fact, i'd imagine there's a 2 part plan in place, meaning they'll look at which FA they can snag in 2014(maybe 2nd or 3rd tier), THEN make the bigger splash in 2015. least that's what I'M thinking...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt in my mind. in fact, i'd imagine there's a 2 part plan in place, meaning they'll look at which FA they can snag in 2014(maybe 2nd or 3rd tier), THEN make the bigger splash in 2015. least that's what I'M thinking...

I agree. They'll keep their financial flexibility in tack for elite FA in 2015 if they can't get Lebron in 2014. I don't see any other worthy elite max contracts for 2014.