• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: April 1,2,3 Rangers Take on Houston's Hinchmen

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has been the biggest surprise. I hope the players can keep this up and not start to press if we start playing from behind more. I have to say, I hate our pitching staff but if the hitters can keep this up then we have a punchers chance.

Wonder if our habit of beating up the good pitchers and sucking wind against the 2nd tier guys keeps up this year, or if that was a Banny thing. Woody might have them dialed in still this early in the year. Getting a series win is HUGE for Woody as the team won't begin tuning him out. Believing in the coach is very important and Woody doesn't have the skins on the wall yet to just command that respect. He's earning it in leaps and bounds right now.

People will think I’m crazy, but I never liked Banny. The guy always gave me an “amateur hour” or an “in over his head” vibe.
The good ole boy “never ever quit guys” is a good slogan for Texas.... I guess.

I just felt like he and his coaches didn’t really bring anything to the table. Brocail might be the worst pitching coach we ever had. Iapoce might be a good hitting coach, his lineup lit us up big time with the cubs this weekend, but his approach here wasn’t getting results.

I already have a good feel from woodward. I think people are going to like him.

I’m usually very picky when it comes to coaches and my teams. I like pop, I liked wash, hated Banny, and I don’t like Jason Garrett with the cowboys.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will think I’m crazy, but I never liked Banny. The guy always gave me an “amateur hour” or an “in over his head” vibe.
The good ole boy “never ever quit guys” is a good slogan for Texas.... I guess.

I just felt like he and his coaches didn’t really bring anything to the table. Brocail might be the worst pitching coach we ever had. Iapoce might be a good hitting coach, his lineup lit us up big time with the cubs this weekend, but his approach here wasn’t getting results.

I already have a good feel from woodward. I think people are going to like him.

I’m usually very picky when it comes to coaches and my teams. I like pop, I liked wash, hated Banny, and I don’t like Jason Garrett with the cowboys.
Well I declare. Had no idea you did not care for Banny and his staff. Where have I been? LMBO:L

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I declare. Had no idea you did not care for Banny and his staff. Where have I been? LMBO:L

Sorry man.

I detached from the team early last year. Didn’t really get to weigh in much when Banny got canned.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes about our AAA team in Nashville from Scott Lucas:

Nashville’s park on the edge of downtown is only four years old and needed a tenant because Oakland nabbed the new park in Las Vegas. I saw two games there in 2016 and can attest to its beauty. If you’re out that way, make a point of going to a game.

In the 16-team PCL, the western and eastern halves don’t meet very often. Even among the less offense-friendly eastern locations, Nashville is a tough place to hit, analogous to MLB’s San Diego. We’ll need to adjust expectations for hitters and pitchers accordingly.

My understanding is that the Rangers will employ six-man rotations throughout the system. The list above is a guess on my part.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that Texas won’t get through the season with five starters. At present, Jurado is probably next in line despite a shaky record, as he’s on the 40 and has some experience. Sampson was a late cut and would also receive consideration if he's employed as a starter in Nashville.

My hope is that Taylor Hearn rises on the depth chart to become Option A at some point during the season. Texas has only 40% of the current rotation under contract for 2020, and Minor could re-emerge as trade bait. The Rangers need a decent portion of their upper-level rotation prospects (Hearn, Burke, Hernandez, Palumbo) to pan out, or they’ll once again have to buy those innings on the free-agent market while they wait for the next wave of pitchers to advance.

Nashville has three young lefties nearly ready to contribute. Brett Martin’s season wasn’t quite as bad at his stats (7.28 ERA, .357/.397/.509 opposing line), but it was plenty bad. He put in some work over the winter and emerged transformed into the guy Texas has been dreaming about for years. He still throws four pitches and could switch back to starting, I suppose, but I like the idea of him as a multi-inning reliever.

Pelham was a fastball-only JuCo hurler when Texas selected him in 2015’s 33rd round, so he’s already a success. His cutter/slider will hunt, but he still gets walk-happy and throws some fat strikes.

Brady Feigl couldn’t quite crack the 40 last winter but is an option with his decent fastball and tough curve.

2019 is huge for the 26-year-old Trevino. Last year, he made his MLB debut and swatted a walk-off single against Colorado’s Wade Davis. But he was also beset by injuries and didn’t hit much in his second year in AA. Trevino has a career line of .250/.290/.382 outside of high-A High Desert, which was the most hitter-friendly location in the United States before being shuttered.

Davidson and Wisdom are corner guys, while the others can play anywhere. White, acquired as part of the Jurickson Profar trade, is the fledgling of the group and will be making his AAA debut, but I believe he has as good a shot as anybody at being called up, especially if Texas needs reinforcement up the middle.

Last year’s announced outfield contained only one player with significant CF experience (Jose Cardona) and only one more who had even played much on the grass (Destin Hood). The 2019 version has three who can comfortably man center.

Calhoun is technically no longer a prospect but may as well be under the circumstances. He doesn't have a clean path to Arlington via great performance alone; he’s probably going to have to wait for a trade or injury. Tocci (last year’s Rule 5 acquisition), Granite (a waiver claim) and Santana (who can also play infield) will vie for the front of the line should Texas need a CF replacement.

Youngest: Jurado (23 years / 3 months), Tocci (23 / 8), Herrera (23 / 11), Martin (23 / 11), Pelham (24 / 2)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or, you could say they need starting pitching help so they don't have to use the pen so much.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes about our AAA team in Nashville from Scott Lucas:

Nashville’s park on the edge of downtown is only four years old and needed a tenant because Oakland nabbed the new park in Las Vegas. I saw two games there in 2016 and can attest to its beauty. If you’re out that way, make a point of going to a game.

In the 16-team PCL, the western and eastern halves don’t meet very often. Even among the less offense-friendly eastern locations, Nashville is a tough place to hit, analogous to MLB’s San Diego. We’ll need to adjust expectations for hitters and pitchers accordingly.

My understanding is that the Rangers will employ six-man rotations throughout the system. The list above is a guess on my part.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that Texas won’t get through the season with five starters. At present, Jurado is probably next in line despite a shaky record, as he’s on the 40 and has some experience. Sampson was a late cut and would also receive consideration if he's employed as a starter in Nashville.

My hope is that Taylor Hearn rises on the depth chart to become Option A at some point during the season. Texas has only 40% of the current rotation under contract for 2020, and Minor could re-emerge as trade bait. The Rangers need a decent portion of their upper-level rotation prospects (Hearn, Burke, Hernandez, Palumbo) to pan out, or they’ll once again have to buy those innings on the free-agent market while they wait for the next wave of pitchers to advance.

Nashville has three young lefties nearly ready to contribute. Brett Martin’s season wasn’t quite as bad at his stats (7.28 ERA, .357/.397/.509 opposing line), but it was plenty bad. He put in some work over the winter and emerged transformed into the guy Texas has been dreaming about for years. He still throws four pitches and could switch back to starting, I suppose, but I like the idea of him as a multi-inning reliever.

Pelham was a fastball-only JuCo hurler when Texas selected him in 2015’s 33rd round, so he’s already a success. His cutter/slider will hunt, but he still gets walk-happy and throws some fat strikes.

Brady Feigl couldn’t quite crack the 40 last winter but is an option with his decent fastball and tough curve.

2019 is huge for the 26-year-old Trevino. Last year, he made his MLB debut and swatted a walk-off single against Colorado’s Wade Davis. But he was also beset by injuries and didn’t hit much in his second year in AA. Trevino has a career line of .250/.290/.382 outside of high-A High Desert, which was the most hitter-friendly location in the United States before being shuttered.

Davidson and Wisdom are corner guys, while the others can play anywhere. White, acquired as part of the Jurickson Profar trade, is the fledgling of the group and will be making his AAA debut, but I believe he has as good a shot as anybody at being called up, especially if Texas needs reinforcement up the middle.

Last year’s announced outfield contained only one player with significant CF experience (Jose Cardona) and only one more who had even played much on the grass (Destin Hood). The 2019 version has three who can comfortably man center.

Calhoun is technically no longer a prospect but may as well be under the circumstances. He doesn't have a clean path to Arlington via great performance alone; he’s probably going to have to wait for a trade or injury. Tocci (last year’s Rule 5 acquisition), Granite (a waiver claim) and Santana (who can also play infield) will vie for the front of the line should Texas need a CF replacement.

Youngest: Jurado (23 years / 3 months), Tocci (23 / 8), Herrera (23 / 11), Martin (23 / 11), Pelham (24 / 2)
Keep us in touch with the minor league, Bennie. Probably more important than what happens in Arlington this year. Particularly that Hearns kid.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get them to miss, Smyly.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get it started Guz

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flying high Condor!!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like that

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep us in touch with the minor league, Bennie. Probably more important than what happens in Arlington this year. Particularly that Hearns kid.
Will do Darryl. Later I will post what he had to say about Frisco's team.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smyly serving as a variation of an Opener for Sampson tonight.

We may have our best starter on the club on the mound now. Sampson that is

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or, you could say they need starting pitching help so they don't have to use the pen so much.

Put immediately to work and a nice inning

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little offense would be nice

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news folks

Kyle bird sent down. One less poopy reliever to deal with.