• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AP source: MLB owners approve proposal to start 82-game season in July

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of the DH, so I don't like this. You would think they would do the opposite to shorten the games.
So the winner of this Jerry-rigged season gets to consider themselves World Series champions? That seems odd.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the dodgers won in 1981 with a 110 game schedule.

this will be 82.

and i know lots of folks call that 81 title "hollow".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right, I guess it could go both ways depending on the game.
I see the DH as lengthening the offenses half of the inning. From what I have searched, it seems the AL games are just over 2 minutes longer which is pretty much nothing.

When I wrote last week about the slowdown of MLB games in recent years, I noted that the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox were the two slowest teams. Both are in the American League, and maybe that’s part of the explanation. After all, AL games are played with the designated-hitter rule, which means pitchers don’t have to bat. That allows managers to change pitchers without affecting the lineup, which could prompt them to yank more pitchers mid-inning. Since pitching changes lengthen games — by about two minutes each, according to my analysis — games played in AL parks could be longer simply because of the DH rule.
Regardless, I am personally not a “length of game” guy. I really couldn’t give a shit, and believe all these efforts to shorten games are total BS (they are making structural changes to save an average of 2-5 mins per game?).
so the dodgers won in 1981 with a 110 game schedule.

this will be 82.

and i know lots of folks call that 81 title "hollow".
???

WTF are you talking about?

The Dodgers have NEVER won the World Series...

giphy.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money could be the reason there's no baseball.....sad.

I'm typically pro player when it comes to money, but in this case 50/50 for one season is not the end of the world.

It was pointed out to me today that in the last 20 yrs...only 3 teams have won the WS with a payroll outside of the top 10...Royals and Cardinals x 2.

I'm not the biggest MLB fan anymore after the WS was cancelled over money, but I would be fine with a salary cap in MLB....it's time.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the players refuse to play because they are tone deaf about this...

I mean seriously. The teams will be making a shit ton less due to no gate/concessions/Souvenirs/etc. They are saying to the players, for this year, let’s just split proceeds 50/50. Players are saying “Fuck you. Pay me.”
The stadium revenue figures listed below are before playoffs and net of stadium debt service.

• New York Yankees: $470 million in stadium revenue
  • Boston Red Sox: $366 million
  • Chicago Cubs: $321 million
  • Los Angeles Dodgers: $320 million
  • San Francisco Giants: $299 million
  • St. Louis Cardinals: $220 million
  • Houston Astros: $217 million
  • Atlanta Braves: $191 million
  • Philadelphia Phillies: $183 million
  • Washington Nationals: $180 million
  • Los Angeles Angels: $173 million
    • New York Mets: $161 million
    • Texas Rangers: $159 million
    • Milwaukee Brewers: $142 million
    • Colorado Rockies: $140 million
    • Minnesota Twins: $132 million
    • San Diego Padres: $130 million
    • Cleveland Indians: $114 million
    • Toronto Blue Jays: $112 million
    • Seattle Mariners: $112 million
    • Cincinnati Reds: $99 million
    • Chicago White Sox: $97 million
    • Kansas City Royals: $97 million
    • Detroit Tigers: $93 million
    • Pittsburgh Pirates: $87 million
    • Arizona Diamondbacks: $86 million
    • Oakland Athletics: $74 million
    • Baltimore Orioles: $70 million
    • Tampa Bay Rays: $66 million
    • Miami Marlins: $47 million

The Stadium Revenue At Risk For Every MLB Team If Games Are Played Without Fans

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, I am personally not a “length of game” guy. I really couldn’t give a shit, and believe all these efforts to shorten games are total BS (they are making structural changes to save an average of 2-5 mins per game?).

???

WTF are you talking about?

The Dodgers have NEVER won the World Series...

giphy.gif
Not sure how these two posts got merged into one...

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm typically pro player when it comes to money, but in this case 50/50 for one season is not the end of the world.

It was pointed out to me today that in the last 20 yrs...only 3 teams have won the WS with a payroll outside of the top 10...Royals and Cardinals x 2.

I'm not the biggest MLB fan anymore after the WS was cancelled over money, but I would be fine with a salary cap in MLB....it's time.

Yes. MLB needs a cap. Also a floor. They could go loose. Minimum payroll $75 million, maximum payroll $150 million.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. MLB needs a cap. Also a floor. They could go loose. Minimum payroll $75 million, maximum payroll $150 million.

Yep, but the very powerful players union won't go for it.

It's not going to effect the top end players much, but the decent fielding SS, hitting .195 making $4 mil per will end. that guy stands to lose a lot of money, but the reality his, he never should've been making that kind of money anyway.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, but the very powerful players union won't go for it.

It's not going to effect the top end players much, but the decent fielding SS, hitting .195 making $4 mil per will end. that guy stands to lose a lot of money, but the reality his, he never should've been making that kind of money anyway.
I think the minimum salary cap could get some players support.
Looking at the team salaries for 2019, only 4 teams were over $180 million. 6 teams were under $100 million. If they go with a min.max of $120/$180 it would mean that more players will earn more. It would mean that a higher $$ number is going to the players.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the minimum salary cap could get some players support.
Looking at the team salaries for 2019, only 4 teams were over $180 million. 6 teams were under $100 million. If they go with a min.max of $120/$180 it would mean that more players will earn more. It would mean that a higher $$ number is going to the players.
\

Conceptually the union has been staunchly against any kind of a salary cap and I get the feeling that this regime doesn't want to be the one that gave that up.

To your point...some lower salaried players would benefit from a cap with a floor.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these people really about to fight over money in this pandemic? I can't

This is why baseball will eventually be the fourth most popular sport in the US. I could see it slipping even lower in our lifetime.

This is an amazing opportunity for mlb to gain viewers and they aren't seeing the big picture.

The NBA? unified front.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why baseball will eventually be the fourth most popular sport in the US. I could see it slipping even lower in our lifetime.

This is an amazing opportunity for mlb to gain viewers and they aren't seeing the big picture.

The NBA? unified front.

In 1970...GM, Ford, and Chrysler...they collectively owned 83% marketshare of US auto sales...in 2008 collectively they dropped to 47% marketshare....less than 40 yrs.

So...seeing some similarities...old billionaire owners, they're too busy worrying about keeping a dirty sport clean by keeping guys like Pete Rose and Barry Bonds out of the HOF to take the game into the next decade and beyond.

Yes MLB most likely will be the 4th most popular sport once the boomers die off. I'm at the end of the boomers so I hope we're at least 20 yrs away :D...but I see it coming.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 50/50 split doesn’t even make any sense. This is the owners offer but the owners will then tell the players what the 50/50 split is because they refuse to open their books

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 50/50 split doesn’t even make any sense. This is the owners offer but the owners will then tell the players what the 50/50 split is because they refuse to open their books

What does make sense if the owners can't get gate revenue?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does make sense if the owners can't get gate revenue?
The players have no idea what the actual revenue will be for the season. The owners aren’t opening Up their books. There is more to revenue than just tv rights

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 1970...GM, Ford, and Chrysler...they collectively owned 83% marketshare of US auto sales...in 2008 collectively they dropped to 47% marketshare....less than 40 yrs.

So...seeing some similarities...old billionaire owners, they're too busy worrying about keeping a dirty sport clean by keeping guys like Pete Rose and Barry Bonds out of the HOF to take the game into the next decade and beyond.

Yes MLB most likely will be the 4th most popular sport once the boomers die off. I'm at the end of the boomers so I hope we're at least 20 yrs away :D...but I see it coming.

One issue baseball could have is that the players are from so many different areas that communicating that message gets bogged down with the MLBPA. But the sports with caps and revenue sharing are doing much better. And have a more unified view of the success of their sport.

The NBA isn't pushing forward because of this season...they're pushing forward because of seasons to come.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players have no idea what the actual revenue will be for the season. The owners aren’t opening Up their books. There is more to revenue than just tv rights

Okay...I've heard the "books" argument many times...there are no undercover revenue sources the player don't know about...the union should have plenty of power to get a legit TV number without having to open any books.

I get that the players don't trust the owners..but this is one of those years that the union knows some of the owners revenue streams tied to the gate are most likely not going to happen.

So it boils down to 50% of what? Why not take the TV # and work off that for this season? The players win here if they play 82 games or 8 games...if they leave some money on the table THIS year to play MLB...do it. It's one season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One issue baseball could have is that the players are from so many different areas that communicating that message gets bogged down with the MLBPA. But the sports with caps and revenue sharing are doing much better. And have a more unified view of the success of their sport.

The NBA isn't pushing forward because of this season...they're pushing forward because of seasons to come.

I guess it will take some more time for the players union to get it, but until the game starts leaking oil...we really can't expect the players to make that concession to a capped league...they will need to see the red ink.

You mentioned the NBA...sometimes you have to reinvent yourself. This is a league that 30-35 yrs ago the NBA FINALS was on tape delay....Lakers/Sixers now they get primetime slots for Finals games.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was mentioned on the radio this AM that the teams get payed on the broadcast rights whether games are played or not. If that is the case, much of the income should still be flowing, and the players SHOULD take the 50/50 deal. It will probably end up being better than the games-played deal they currently have...