• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone here use a Big Green Egg to smoke with?

mustangwatkins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have and Upright Gas Smoker, A Weber charcoal smoker and several gas / charcoal grills. The BGE looks to be legit and great for smoking. I wan to replace the Upright Weber Smoker and BGE seems to be the way to go. If there is a cheaper version with similar results I would be happy to go that route too. Suggestions?

:behindsofa:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad has one. Makes some damn good food on that thing

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't help much, but I've eaten food that was cooked on the Big Green Egg. Granted the guy who made it has won all sorts of BBQ contests. Definitely does look interesting though.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No smoker has similar results in my opinion. BGE is the best

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
Haven't used that one, but I do use a Traeger pellet grill, and am quite impressed with the results I get on that puppy.
My wife diidn't want it, but now she craves food made on it.
Did a pizza on there last night.
Simplest thing to use, just pick your wood pellets, set your temp. and walk away.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish i could help ya there,never used one.Pretty happy with the smoker and grill i have now.I'm a firm believer its all in the cook and the preperation and of course the meat you use.:yo:

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
Plus the Traeger has about 10 different wood pellets you can use so you can get very differing tastes, depending on what you are making.
Been using, hickory, mesquite, cherry, alder, pecan, mostly.

mustangwatkins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus the Traeger has about 10 different wood pellets you can use so you can get very differing tastes, depending on what you are making.
Been using, hickory, mesquite, cherry, alder, pecan, mostly.

Yes. I've looked at the STUMP SMOKERS. They are similar to Traegers. Ive never used a pellet injected smoker but I've tried ribs off of them and they were very nice. Do you cook in any of the KCBBQ events. Ive done 2 and am doing another in Sept. Good times. Great learning opp if you take the time to walk around and visit other cooks there. Ive learned alot past 2yrs from some of those peeps.

1502tuley

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have and Upright Gas Smoker, A Weber charcoal smoker and several gas / charcoal grills. The BGE looks to be legit and great for smoking. I wan to replace the Upright Weber Smoker and BGE seems to be the way to go. If there is a cheaper version with similar results I would be happy to go that route too. Suggestions?

:behindsofa:

So what don't you like about your SMC (Weber smoker)? I absolutely love mine. I can light it with the minion method, stabilize the temp at 225, and it will stay within 15 degrees of that mark for 20 hours.

I use this forum all the time http://virtualweberbullet.com/ as a resource. This is where I learned the minion method of lighting the fire, which is my key to making great Q.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BGE is way overpriced. If you know what you are doing, you can use almost anything to get the right taste. Some may be easier (gas is easier to maintain temp than wood) but you can get the same results from almost anything.

As for a cheaper method, I've seen guys use two flower pots to make their own BGE. It obviously is a bit different, but the costs aren't even close. The setup I have seen is two pots with the top inverted, an electric charcoal starter at the bottom to heat the wood chunk pan, a water pan placed above that on what are basically stilts, and then a grate on top of that. You can pass a thermometer through the top hole and if you need to introduce more air you can always drill into the side of the bottom pot.

Most of the time I use my upright gas landman big block. I can get the right amount of smoke flavor and the whole "you can taste the gas" in non-existent as long as you have it vented right...as with any smoker. I have an offset wood smoker as well, but use that for chickens and shorter timed smokes. It tends to over-flavor the meat if you aren't extremely careful as well. I want to taste more of the meat, not just the smoke.

tWoman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything gas in an abomination. Man up and use charcoal. Its a bit harder to cook with, but once you get it...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything gas in an abomination. Man up and use charcoal. Its a bit harder to cook with, but once you get it...

Charcoal? For real? Talk about leaving a terrible taste. Charcoal to get the fire started and then that's it. You better be using wood logs, we ain't cooking burgers and hotdogs.

tWoman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charcoal? For real? Talk about leaving a terrible taste. Charcoal to get the fire started and then that's it. You better be using wood logs, we ain't cooking burgers and hotdogs.

You have to learn how to do it first!:behindsofa:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to learn how to do it first!:behindsofa:

I accept the challenge! Any time, any where. I'll put my BBQ skills up against anyone who is local and doesn't require me to travel or change my weekend plans.