• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

anyone else think puig is a POS?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie White once said that players should act like they have been in the endzone before and in all aspects of the game carry themselves with dignity and respect. In Puig's case, being from Cuba, he probably has never experienced the excitement of the big show and all of its trimmings on this level and thus does not know about the traditions of baseball or its professionalism dictate allowing his exuberation to run wild.

However, other players not from Cuba are just as bad and I think all of the traditions and respect for the game went down the krapper when steroids and PED's calamity showed up and Bud Selig as the commish and owner allowed baseball to degrade to the point (like other sports) where players can do just about anything they want and get paid gobs of money to do it or so it seems.

I suppose ole Bud Boy could do like the NFL and fine the dude for excessive celebration but then there would be a lot of pissing going on if he did.

the problem is, he keeps doing it. and an even bigger problem is the "excitement" excuse for why he's doing it, as if he deserves a free pass compared to the thousands and thousands of players who worked this game all the years before him. they had to take the fastballs to the back. they had to brawl for their etiquette mistakes.

maybe he didn't know how to act. i don't buy it, but maybe he didn't. he's had plenty of time though since he was benched, bitched at and told you're not supposed to do this. yet.. still doing it.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is also the team that went splashing and swimming in the d'backs pool though. so it's no surprise they don't to say anything to puig.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously phillies there is a team culture that allows this krap to continue as evidenced by what you have presented and again, the integrity of the game has pretty much vanished allowing players to routinely exhibit these BS antics knowing there are no consequences. I believe you when you state Puig has not stopped his antics and thus has no or little excuse for it and explanations are usually clicheic in quality.

I agree then the dude has become an a-hole and will get some sort of retribution in the future when other players tire of his antics. He knows he is a talented player and is playing that trump card in order to pull these excessive stunts.The mythical belief that these players fall into is that this trump card has an unlimited capacity to it. That we know is false and eventually others will load up on the dude and he'll receive a boatload of consequential actions he will not like.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn't this in the MLB forum?
He's not a Phillie.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this is also the team that went splashing and swimming in the d'backs pool though. so it's no surprise they don't to say anything to puig.

They did that long after the game. The stadium was empty. Dodgers are a bunch of whiny clowns, but I thought that story was way overblown.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's not a Phillie.

Because most of us only visit this one forum. We, as fans of Phillies, are talking about a player of another team. Seems like it's in the right spot.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that Puig's antics are the norm or are acceptable by the humdrum standards of the game, but to call this kid all kinds of names for his flamboyant style of play is pretty immature. Puig is not a serial killer for goodness sakes.

I'm sure as he gets older he'll tame down. In the meantime, he's a great talent and he will only get better as time goes by.

The Dodgers have an up and coming star in the making. I wouldn't hang out with him, but if I owned a baseball team I'd take him in a heartbeat.........as would the Phillies, antics and all.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you want, but it's that exact youth and excitement that the Dodgers have attested as one of the single biggest reasons they turned the season around. They basically remembered that it's a kid's game, to be celebrated and enjoyed, instead of just played like a snob with no signs of emotion. Again, don't twist my words into saying that it's the only reason they turned the season around, or that it gives him a pass to do whatever he wants. But Hanley (also a big part, not only for his talent, but also for his enjoyment of the game) does the "I see you" motion when he gets a base hit, and A-Gon has his motion when he gets a hit. It all gets the team excited, and fired up. It's palpable in the dugout, and all of them note that it's the renewed excitement of the game that has lifted them. It shows in the dugout, and it shows in their miraculous turnaround. Maybe other teams should act like they are as blessed to be able to have so much fun playing the game, instead of walking around like it's a job. I think that just like with his on-field effort, sometimes he goes too far, because he gets caught up. But just like with his play, you don't try to discourage any of it. That's what you want. You just try to harness it a bit, so that he makes a little smart decisions. And that takes some time. It's his first season, and his first postseason, and although I hope he reels it in a bit so that as long as the outfielder is running for the ball, he's running for the bases. But in no way do I want him to not play like he's absolutely stoked to be there, and excited to play the game.

And in closing, like some have stated above, basketball players (college and pro, alike) stare players down after dunks, football players practically stop play so the whole world can acknowledge everything from a great TD, to a routine play, and soccer players run around like they just won the lotto, with every goal. I do believe in the unwritten rules of the game (as being more respectful and less ridiculous in their showmanship than most other sports), and again, I think that Puig needs to reel it in when he initially hits a HR. But I think he, and all players, should celebrate big hits in the playoffs, once they are standing on the bag. He didn't celebrate every hit during the season, like others who have received no insults. But in the playoffs, I'd be trying to get my team hyped up as well. It'll take some time for him to find the right line, but he's a kid, in his first season, living his dream after leaving a rough situation. Say what you want about any of it, but he deserves to feel great about it and continue to infect his team with his love for the game.

Brahmabull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a POS because he celebrates a huge HR?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Brahmabull. This post is for you. Welcome to the Phillies pages. I am a one of the moderators here. If you have any questions you know where to find me. There is plenty here for your enjoyment.

Once you get past the 25 post mark, additional benefits are available to you and they will be found under the "UserCP" menu bar at the top of this page on the left. That includes downloading a post avatar (after 5 posts). There is also vCash where you can bet on games using the vBookie in teh menu at the top of the page.

We are a passionate group as are most sports fans pages and Sportshoopla is THE site for sports talk. I am fairly flexible but I do have few rules that are non-negotiable and the other mods will tell you the same thing. They are as follows.

We don't take kindly to trollin (which I am sure you are unless proven otherwise) and we don't like a-holes either (of which I am sure you are not unless proven otherwise). Nudity in avatars is unacceptable and no scantly clad ladies in your avi's either. Both are not allowed.

Any unnecessary and unwarranted baiting of other posters through viscous personal attacks that become a pattern of behavior that is not conducive to fair sports talk banter WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!

We have a few cantankerous folks here but by and large they engage in passionate delivery of their points of view and do not engage in personal attacks that are viscous as I am sure you have discovered. And again, you don't appear to fit in this category either but it goes with the dime tour.

You can argue all you want and you can can get aggressive with your point of view including swearing, but when that aggression turns toward personal attacks that are excessive and outside of the topic at hand and become a consistent pattern of behavior, you will first receive a warning and your posts maybe edited. After the first warning, if the behavior continues you will be removed from this site. We're are all adults here and I am not in the business of baby sitting anyone.

The use of ALT's or Alternative accounts is strictly forbidden by HammerDown the owner of this site. I do not tolerate them either. First offense, banishment from the SportsHoopla, no negoitated wiggle room on this one. Again, you don't appear to fit this category to date but if you are found using ALTs there will be no warning.

Once again, welcome to the Phillies pages, enjoy yourself, and jump right in on discussing the Phillies as I see you already have.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cya later, puig of shit.

maybe the dodgers and braves can do battle in the offseason for the 'this is how you play the game' championship. somehow, both would choke and lose.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a Phillie.

after tough deliberation, i decided to squeeze it in on this forum. despite the 800 professional posts we have every day on this super active joint, i stand by my call to make a baseball post on a baseball forum. i consider myself a trendsetter.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most people, I don't give a shit about his clap and excitement after reaching third base. But he looked like a total fucking idiot by clapping his hands above his head after hitting a line drive to right field.