• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

anyone else really like ryno so far?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he called out jroll's game and has already dropped him from the leadoff spot. he's talked about bringing back the basics, energy, hustle. he's penciled some interesting lineups.. and even though i think ruf should bat cleanup for the next several years.. it's cool to see guys like kratz bat 4th, ruiz bat 2nd, etc.

corbin is a lefty who came in 13-3 with a 2.74 era.. but sandberg comes out with a lefty in bernadina batting leadoff and asche 6th. bernadina gets hit with a pitch and asche has a 2 run double in the 1st. they score 4.

he lefty vs lefty PH with utley against corbin. a move charlie would never make. no doubt he would use wells or mcdonald. and chase gets a hit.

9 runs in 6 innings so far. the only guy who hasn't done jack shit.. charlie's favorite boy, jpop. lets face it.. he would have easily been leadoff today. and who knows? we might be getting shut out.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he had a 3-game winning streak going into last night's game that was tied in the 13th. I don't know who finally won it but it appears he is doing some good things that are different and returning this club to some of its potential. Now if we can just get rid of brain-dead.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually pleasantly surprised how well this team has responded to him. I also love what he is doing with J-Roll. All of this could come crashing down though if RAJ doesn't get him help and keeps making the same stupid moves. His motivation will only get the team so far. We do need some talent.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryno.

our new manager has a vision. He will get this team back to the winning mentality. he is using everybody. The toughest part of his job wil be finding a way to influence Amaro. Amaro will look for ways to destroy the Phillies come next season. When you take a hard look at the current roster, the biggest needs are in the bullpen,and perhaps another staring pitcher. Also we will need another reserve outfielder. Plus,adding another catcher is possible. Asche should get 1st chance at starting, and Ruf should be a lock. When Howard comes back,we will have at least 5 power bats,Ruf,Utley,Brown,Howard,and mayberry off the bench. Final note,if Halladay returns to form,or even close to it, the Phillies will be post season bound next season. IMO.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our new manager has a vision. He will get this team back to the winning mentality. he is using everybody. The toughest part of his job wil be finding a way to influence Amaro. Amaro will look for ways to destroy the Phillies come next season. When you take a hard look at the current roster, the biggest needs are in the bullpen,and perhaps another staring pitcher. Also we will need another reserve outfielder. Plus,adding another catcher is possible. Asche should get 1st chance at starting, and Ruf should be a lock. When Howard comes back,we will have at least 5 power bats,Ruf,Utley,Brown,Howard,and mayberry off the bench. Final note,if Halladay returns to form,or even close to it, the Phillies will be post season bound next season. IMO.

Lol! I think you're looking at this team as if it is '07-'11. Howard, utley, & rollins another year older which means potentially more injuries. Not to mention the fact that howard is only a shell of what he used to be. The phillies need some big time offensive upgrades. Ruf, brown, and asche are nice young guys to build around but come on... To say the phils will return to the post season with this offense is totally unrealistic...And using the word Mayberry as a team attribute is very funny.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryno's doing a great job. I liked when he yanked Martin after 2/3 inning the other night when he was obviously off. If it were to be a blowout, that lets him get the BP involved for needed experience. Manuel always let the starting pitcher suffer thru it. I think Sandberg will achieve the best lineup possible from what he has to work with.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sandberg has done a good job so far. A few things probably different than Manuel would have done, but probably not measurably better or worse. And call me cynical, but I have absolutely no doubt that if Manuel was still here and he started Roger Bernadina and batted him leadoff he would have been ripped mercilessly, probably by some of the same people praising Sandberg. I think Sandberg will do fine, but let's not kid ourselves.
The tactical decisions made by different managers are trivial compared to bringing in the right players.

Last edited by a moderator:

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
manuel's style, attitude and influence are as old as he is. i've said many times, he is simply a babysitter for vets who can play. when something doesn't go right, his only answer is the one he provided a handful of times this season.. "i don't know what to do." and he clearly doesn't/didn't.

he was unwilling to get ballsy with lineups and players. he did not punish or reward them correctly. he would just push out the same squad regardless, let them run their mouth whenever and however they wanted and pull the tired "we'll get it going soon" line.

we have not been able to claim one solid guy in the pen under his management, have we? madson was already here before him. bastardo was inconsistent. so, we're supposed to believe the phillies cannot develop ONE fucking reliever? he's a vet head. babysitter.

no manager should ever be caught saying he doesn't know what to do. and i'd be shocked to ever hear someone like sandberg come close to it. he seems like the type of guy who would straight up tell everyone.. if jpop doesn't start hitting, then he won't be playing at all. whereas manuel would just let him take fifty 0'fers in a row at leadoff.. saying "jimmy is my guy" while laughing in the dugout with him.

manuel wouldn't have the intelligence and creativity to bat bernadina leadoff. he probably wouldn't even play him. like i was saying in one of the other threads.. out of all these scrubs they picked up, he at least has a tiny bit of talent. he can play defense, has 56 career steals (only 11 caught) and has shown a few flashes of solid play offensively. i mean, in reality, he still sucks.. but not like martinez or wells. sandberg is taking what he has and is using it for the best fit.

i'm not surprised at all with his attitude and change that the phils have gone 7-4 under him. they were 5-19 for the rest of the 2nd half under manuel.

go back to last year when manuel waited too long to put ruf in the lineup and we lost a few key games. or back to some of his postseason moves. the difference is far from being trivial.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree with most of your points _phillies_ but I think like you stated that brain-ded needs to get the hell out the way and let Sandberg get the guys in here he wants to work with. But that is not going to happen, so I'll go back to my peanuts and sunflower seeds.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cholly was a babbling stuttering baffoon! The more he spoke the more he sounded like a moron that needs to learn the english language. It took the man 3 seasons in the NL to learn how to make a proper double switch instead of letting the pitcher bat which we saw quite often! Hearing his pressers after the game was like listening to nails on a chalk board, Uh um uhhhhh um uhh umm is all I hear when he speaks! Good riddance, I still believe that if the Phils would have signed Leland instead of Cholly this core would have more then 1 stinking ring to show for, but hindsight is 20/20!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think right now he has such an eclectic mix of talent he is going to take two steps forward and then a step back and then stub his toe or so it seems.