• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody have any 1st hand experience with Kel Tec's?

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a fairly cheap looking polymer but if feels pretty solid. Just like reviews on most guns, some seem to love them & others hate them. I'm gonna give it a shot to prove itself as soon as I come up with enough ammo. I'm not overly concerned about the looks though as long as it functions well. As $300 polymer framed gun I never intended it to be something I pass down or anything like that, just a very light weight CCW that packs a punch. I'm still considering the Ruger LC9 if this doesn't work out but I've heard just as much good and bad about them too. I'm gonna have 2nd thoughts about pretty much anything until it proves itself first hand to me.

Do not get a LC9

Man I have shot that POS gun and even as a fairly well versed shooter I can barely hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with that thing. Ok slight exaggeration but you get my point.

That Kel Tec is not bad. It would not be my first choice of a CCW but to each their own. I am also very much biased toward Glock. I figure good enough for LEO's good enough for me.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not get a LC9

Man I have shot that POS gun and even as a fairly well versed shooter I can barely hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with that thing. Ok slight exaggeration but you get my point.

That Kel Tec is not bad. It would not be my first choice of a CCW but to each their own. I am also very much biased toward Glock. I figure good enough for LEO's good enough for me.

I don't have a LC9, but have a couple Rugers and I am more then satisfied.....you have to spend a little time to set the sights, but you should do that with any firearm.....everyone is different......

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not get a LC9

I've also heard about some accuracy problems with the LC9 not to mention a decent amount of FTE and FTF's with it. I've always liked Ruger and I'm sure they'll get the LC9 figured out but it seems it's not quite there yet. My biggest reason for giving the Kel Tec a shot is it's size, so far I can barely tell it's there. My buddy that works at the gun shop has had really good service out of his, I believe at about year 5 he had to replace the recoil spring in his which Kel Tec sent him for free. The verdict's still out but I'm rooting for this little guy.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also heard about some accuracy problems with the LC9 not to mention a decent amount of FTE and FTF's with it. I've always liked Ruger and I'm sure they'll get the LC9 figured out but it seems it's not quite there yet. My biggest reason for giving the Kel Tec a shot is it's size, so far I can barely tell it's there. My buddy that works at the gun shop has had really good service out of his, I believe at about year 5 he had to replace the recoil spring in his which Kel Tec sent him for free. The verdict's still out but I'm rooting for this little guy.

With the popularity if the sr9c I've been wondering how much longer they'll be making it....but they did go forward with the lc380 roll out so who knows

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the popularity if the sr9c I've been wondering how much longer they'll be making it....but they did go forward with the lc380 roll out so who knows

I'm intrigued by the sr9c, I'm thinking I'm gonna try to pick one up in the near future. People really seem to like them.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not get a LC9

I'm not a glock fan but when you grow up shooting 1911's you tend to have some bias. I really like the S&W M&P for double action S/A only pistol. The Ruger's need trigger work but what Ruger doesn't.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a glock fan but when you grow up shooting 1911's you tend to have some bias. I really like the S&W M&P for double action S/A only pistol. The Ruger's need trigger work but what Ruger doesn't.

Oh I agree. My S&W 1911 is awesome and I love to shoot it but as a carry gun it is big. I can do it but it is tougher to conceal. G19 is mid sized and perfect for my taste.

I just dont like that LC9 very much is all. If I want a pocket gun I go to my Bodyguard and honestly that trigger sucked too until I put a new one on it.

Different strokes for different folks.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got lucky and ordered 3,000 rounds of .223 on Midway just before this madness started.

I would just go to Midway and place an order if you aren't in a super hurry.. they will ship it when it arrives in the order you come. There are literally people here stalking Walmart and Cabelas each AM so the ammo never hits the shelf.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I carry a full size 1911 Nighthawk GRP when I have the clothing to do so. Occasionally I will carry a Glock 27.. although it is a little thick.

My favorite carry weapon just because it is so light and small is my S&W 340 PD Hammerless airlight. Sure, you won't be accurate from anything over 10-15 yards.. .but given most issues follow the 3-3-3 rule...

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I carry a full size 1911 Nighthawk GRP when I have the clothing to do so. Occasionally I will carry a Glock 27.. although it is a little thick.

My favorite carry weapon just because it is so light and small is my S&W 340 PD Hammerless airlight. Sure, you won't be accurate from anything over 10-15 yards.. .but given most issues follow the 3-3-3 rule...

I actually stopped yesterday and looked at a S&W Airweight in the .38 spl. variety. I really liked it but haven't decided if I'm going to get it yet though. The longer I have the PF9 the more I'm liking it. It has performed extremely well and is as small and light of a 9mm as you're going to find.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually stopped yesterday and looked at a S&W Airweight in the .38 spl. variety. I really liked it but haven't decided if I'm going to get it yet though. The longer I have the PF9 the more I'm liking it. It has performed extremely well and is as small and light of a 9mm as you're going to find.

The biggest problem with my airlight is the cost. You can get a good carry weapon like a Glock 27 for $430 on average. S&W PD airlight scandium was around $720 when i bought it. They may be more now.

You are also limited to 5 rounds.. and using .357 will knock your hand off. I always put a single round in that gun and give it to people who have no clue what to expect at the range and watch their reaction. 38+P is reasonable all you can shoot in it and not bruise your hand.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem with my airlight is the cost. You can get a good carry weapon like a Glock 27 for $430 on average. S&W PD airlight scandium was around $720 when i bought it. They may be more now.

You are also limited to 5 rounds.. and using .357 will knock your hand off. I always put a single round in that gun and give it to people who have no clue what to expect at the range and watch their reaction. 38+P is reasonable all you can shoot in it and not bruise your hand.

They also had a Taurus Ultralight revolver in .38 spl. for $329. Kind of intrigued by that one too. Looked and felt like a pretty nice gun. Haven't read much bad stuff about them either. At about $200 less than the S&W it may be worth trying out.