• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody have any 1st hand experience with Kel Tec's?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to a local gun shop today to see a buddy and ended up leaving with a Kel Tec PF-9 on a whim. It's a great size for a CCW but I'm having major buyers remorse right now. I've heard good and bad about Kel Tec but wouldn't mind knowing y'alls opinion on them.

It's identical to this one (gray w/stainless slide)
KeltecPF9.jpg

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have shot a buddies 9mm and it was a nice gun. I still prefer my Glock but it was a nice gun..It is his CCW

Never heard anything terrible about them. I thought the trigger was a bit heavy but I am sure there is a trigger kit that would solve that.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have shot a buddies 9mm and it was a nice gun. I still prefer my Glock but it was a nice gun..It is his CCW

Never heard anything terrible about them. I thought the trigger was a bit heavy but I am sure there is a trigger kit that would solve that.

Thanks, makes me feel a little better. The trigger is pretty stout, has around a 9lb pull on it, but I attribute that to it being a double action only which, imo, isn't a terrible a thing since it doesn't have a safety. If I can find any more ammo I'm planning on giving it a work out soon. :tsk: @ finding 9mm ammo.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, makes me feel a little better. The trigger is pretty stout, has around a 9lb pull on it, but I attribute that to it being a double action only which, imo, isn't a terrible a thing since it doesn't have a safety. If I can find any more ammo I'm planning on giving it a work out soon. :tsk: @ finding 9mm ammo.

Why the fuck is ammo so hard to find now? I'm not a conspiracy nut, but this shit is getting ridiculous.....I finally got a couple hundred rounds of .40 S&W so I can go play with my newest purchase that I bought back in January, but it took almost 6 weeks on an internet purchase......that's how backed up they are.....

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck is ammo so hard to find now? I'm not a conspiracy nut, but this shit is getting ridiculous.....I finally got a couple hundred rounds of .40 S&W so I can go play with my newest purchase that I bought back in January, but it took almost 6 weeks on an internet purchase......that's how backed up they are.....

I've read it has a ton to do with the guberment ordering over a shit ton of 9mm rounds and the manufactures can't keep up. The dude I bought the Kel Tec from straight up laughed at my face when I asked if he had any. It's looking like I'll be getting some on Gunbroker if I can't find any around here pretty soon.

9mm Ammo Shortage: Part of Backdoor Gun Control?

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read it has a ton to do with the guberment ordering over a shit ton of 9mm rounds and the manufactures can't keep up. The dude I bought the Kel Tec from straight up laughed at my face when I asked if he had any. It's looking like I'll be getting some on Gunbroker if I can't find any around here pretty soon.

9mm Ammo Shortage: Part of Backdoor Gun Control?

That's just it, it not's just 9mm.....it's everything!!!! You'd have to win the lottery almost to buy .223 rounds......

I want something relatively cheap to go to the range with......I don't want to pay $1 a round for ammo to shoot at the range, and even finding ammo at that price isn't easy......

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it, it not's just 9mm.....it's everything!!!! You'd have to win the lottery almost to buy .223 rounds......

I want something relatively cheap to go to the range with......I don't want to pay $1 a round for ammo to shoot at the range, and even finding ammo at that price isn't easy......

I hear ya, it's insane. I'm basically sitting here with a brand new $300 paperweight and I'm not happy about it. At last check I still have around 80 rounds of .45 ammo and a guy I work with is nutting himself over trying to get them from me. I haven't check recently but I didn't think .45's were quite as hard to come by.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did stop buy Wal-Mart on the way home from the gun shop to look like an idiot and ask if they had any 9mm shit and I'm nearly positive they did have some .223 rounds but I have no clue as to the price of them. They had plenty of 7mm shit too, whatever that is....

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Northwood PF-9 Trigger KIT

My glock has a 3.4 pound trigger and is fully loaded with one in the tube and as I am sure you know there is no safety.

Ammo is starting to come back in larger amounts. I figure another 6 months and once all the political nonsense stops.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwood PF-9 Trigger KIT

My glock has a 3.4 pound trigger and is fully loaded with one in the tube and as I am sure you know there is no safety.

Ammo is starting to come back in larger amounts. I figure another 6 months and once all the political nonsense stops.

Thanks for the link on the trigger kit, definitely looks like a must have. If this gun proves itself reliable enough to carry I want to do the trigger upgrade and get a Hogue HandAll Jr. grip for it. I'm also considering replacing the polymer guide rod with a steel one, figure it can only help in the long run.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KeltecPF9.jpg

Just noticed the slide is hard chrome finished. Was thinking it was regular stainless, I guess that's a good thing though.

This is a better pic.

418335_02_kel_tec_pf_9_hard_chrome_640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like ol' man Hicock's reviews:

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like ol' man Hicock's reviews:

That guy is the bomb. I love his vid's. I feel bad for anyone who tries to break into his house. He will put a smiley face on center body mass and have a vid of it.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also notice he was hitting targets on left side. That is evidence of a tough trigger pull.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to a local gun shop today to see a buddy and ended up leaving with a Kel Tec PF-9 on a whim. It's a great size for a CCW but I'm having major buyers remorse right now. I've heard good and bad about Kel Tec but wouldn't mind knowing y'alls opinion on them.

KeltecPF9.jpg

I'm not trying to knock it, but it looks cheap. The screw on the slide looks like complete shit. I don't know maybe it might be alright.

One thing I have learned is life is far too short to own shitty guns. A good gun is an interesting gun, something that you can be proud you own. It's a gun you want to pass down to your children. It's a gun that will get the job done.

If you're having doubts trade it in and save your money to buy something of quality. Remember you bought this for CCW purposes. Do you really want to put faith in something you are already having second thoughts about.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My old .32 baretta is the same way...really hard trigger pull. I'd forget how hard the pull was until I'd shoot something else. You just get used to it. If you take a few weapons to the range, shoot this one first.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to knock it, but it looks cheap. The screw on the slide looks like complete shit. I don't know maybe it might be alright.

One thing I have learned is life is far too short to own shitty guns. A good gun is an interesting gun, something that you can be proud you own. It's a gun you want to pass down to your children. It's a gun that will get the job done.

If you're having doubts trade it in and save your money to buy something of quality. Remember you bought this for CCW purposes. Do you really want to put faith in something you are already having second thoughts about.

It is a fairly cheap looking polymer but if feels pretty solid. Just like reviews on most guns, some seem to love them & others hate them. I'm gonna give it a shot to prove itself as soon as I come up with enough ammo. I'm not overly concerned about the looks though as long as it functions well. As $300 polymer framed gun I never intended it to be something I pass down or anything like that, just a very light weight CCW that packs a punch. I'm still considering the Ruger LC9 if this doesn't work out but I've heard just as much good and bad about them too. I'm gonna have 2nd thoughts about pretty much anything until it proves itself first hand to me.