• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any car junkies?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 Acura ILX - 65,000 miles

Driving down the highway, 75mph or so in 6th gear (manual transmission) on Saturday the engine started misfiring and the emissions warning light came on. First time it happened I pulled over, restarted the car, everything seemed to go fine as I shifted up to 6th and drove a couple miles, then it happened again. This time every light I can think of came on, ABS, VSA, emissions, hill start assist, etc. Pulled over, restarted, misfiring on idle. Exited the highway got it towed to the dealership.

Got word this morning that it failed a compression test last night. Acura service manager (same dealership I bought the car from) is saying it could be an over-rev, that's the only thing he can think of that would have caused this damage. Obviously it's not an over-rev situation because I was going 75 in 6th gear for 5-10 miles just prior to the failure. Anybody have another reason this could've happened?

He's escalated it up the Acura chain to see what Acura wants to do, but I think we can all guess what Acura wants to do. I would like another thing to check for if anyone's got something. I'll also take it somewhere else to get a second opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you didn't overrev the engine and it sounds as though you did not, that many systems going is usually an electrical control problem in the ECM (Electronic Control Module). I have a BMW 740iL and the ECM finally went after a bad wheel sensor provoked an electrical over-surge. Now the ABS, speedometer, and gas mileage systems do not work. The ECM now has to be replaced and then all fault codes removed. Your situation sounds familiar. Check the ECM hooked-up to the mainframe diagnostics at the repair place you had the car taken to and see what fault codes show up. 10-to-1 its the ECM.

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost compression isn't good. Your car has the K24 (2.4L I4)? Sounds like its internal in the head. A miss fire could mean a valve got stuck or something odd like that. Not the worst thing that could happen but not a cheap fix either.

I feel your pain. My 08 SI just took a dump on me Saturday morning (115 miles from home) with a no start. It would crank, engine would turn but wouldn't start. Now waiting for tomorrow to hear wtf is wrong with it.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost compression isn't good. Your car has the K24 (2.4L I4)? Sounds like its internal in the head. A miss fire could mean a valve got stuck or something odd like that. Not the worst thing that could happen but not a cheap fix either.

There are TONS of things I would check prior to assuming this was a failure in the head.

I'd check O2 sensors, MAF sensor, and would do a vacuum test.

Did the dealer let you know what codes it read? I would make sure you see those prior to giving them free reign to start replacing stuff.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the failure code on mine was a P3030 I think. Regardless, it was a failure in cylinder #3. and yes, it is the 2.4 I4 in the ILX.

fortunately, got word yesterday from the dealership that it was NOT an over rev. they took the cylinder head off yesterday and there was no damage to the cylinder or piston. the only thing they could find was a broken valve spring, which is what led them to believe over rev in the first place. so looks like it was just a failed spring that the service manager had never seen before (21 years experience).

should get word today that it will all be covered under the warranty :cool:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AWAZ with all that engineering money coming in just buy a new car. :pound: