• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Announcers

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listened to the Reds-Mets game last night and was again reminded that informative, educated and structured comment and criticism can indeed come from the booth. Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling are perhaps the two most underrated TV voices in MLB.

I come away hearing two announcers who obviously want the Mets to win but have yet to annoy me with incessant whining about the umpiring. The main guy plays off these two ex-players very well, giving them great segue to explain baseball from an athlete's point of view.

Key points I heard:
Hitting is worse now because of interleague and scattered scheduling that doesn't allow the hitters enough chances to see a pitcher over the course of the year. Clear advantage: Pitching.

Hitting to the opposite field is a lost art following the PEDs era.

Very refreshing.

And it's not filled with pompous, airheaded jingoism like we hear from Thom Brenneman.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thom is horrible. He'd still be at OU if it wasn't for his dad. Thom never shuts up, and spends half his air time talking about topics other than baseball, none of which I'm interested in hearing about from him.

ESPN has some bad ones. Glad McCarver took his incessant Cardinals sales pitch to retirement, but I don't think Schilling is much better.