• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck, QB - Denver Broncos

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:
  • The Colts' roster and management is a mess with no quick fixes in sight.
  • Andrew Luck is currently slated to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2017. The Colts have a club option in 2016 for $16M which they'll most assuredly use on Luck.
Why Denver?
  • Peyton Manning likely has one more year left in him after this. His contract is up in 2017.
  • Manning will already count for $21M against the cap in 2016. It will not be a stretch to fit Luck under the cap, even at top dollar.
  • John Elway, Stanford alum, runs the team. Elway gets what he wants.
  • Elway has already proven he doesn't have loyalty to incumbent prospects if someone better is available.
  • The Broncos already have a strong roster of support players on both sides of the ball; enticing for a free agent hungry for success.
Interesting parallels:
  • Elway spurned the Colts, wound up a Bronco.
  • The Colts jettisoned Manning, wound up a Bronco.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any scenario where the Colts let Luck out of the building without a massive contract.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would love for this to happen I just don't see it unless Luck really pushes his way out of town by holding out and sitting out actual games. Throw in the team would still have control of him at that point and can trade him to whoever they want so I doubt the Broncos are at the top of their list of places they want to trade him considering the whole history of the Broncos taking their QB's and doing well with them. Some crazy things would have to happen for this to even remotely become possible. It is a nice dream though!

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:
  • Andrew Luck is currently slated to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2017. The Colts have a club option in 2016 for $16M which they'll most assuredly use on Luck.
Why Denver?
  • Peyton Manning likely has one more year left in him after this. His contract is up in 2017.
  • Manning will already count for $21M against the cap in 2016. It will not be a stretch to fit Luck under the cap, even at top dollar.
  • Elway has already proven he doesn't have loyalty to incumbent prospects if someone better is available.
  • The Broncos already have a strong roster of support players on both sides of the ball; enticing for a free agent hungry for success.
Interesting parallels:
i said this same thing at this time last year

and got laughed at

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would love for this to happen I just don't see it unless Luck really pushes his way out of town by holding out and sitting out actual games. Throw in the team would still have control of him at that point and can trade him to whoever they want so I doubt the Broncos are at the top of their list of places they want to trade him considering the whole history of the Broncos taking their QB's and doing well with them. Some crazy things would have to happen for this to even remotely become possible. It is a nice dream though!

Both Manning and Luck are UNRESTRICTED free agents in 2017. I guarantee Elway is aware of this.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Manning and Luck are UNRESTRICTED free agents in 2017. I guarantee Elway is aware of this.

Right but I also know that the Colts have the Franchise Tag option to keep him locked down even if he doesn't want to stay with the Colts. So that would mean the only way to get him is trade. I can't see the Broncos being the team that the Colts want to trade him to considering they are one of the biggest threats to the Colts winning the Super Bowl plus giving away your best player at the most important position on the field isn't exactly the best way to win in this league.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Luck leave the AFC South? As much of a mess the Colts roster is, they can still make the playoffs like almost every year until other teams stop being a mess

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right but I also know that the Colts have the Franchise Tag option to keep him locked down even if he doesn't want to stay with the Colts.

Tags will prevent any kind of movement through FA. It'd be a trade if anything.

If the Colts go bottoms up this year and next year and Luck gets too frustrated with it all and pulls an Elway, executing a non-exclusive tag would net the Colts two first round draft picks from the team that signs him. Might be enough to let him go if things get salty enough.

Teams are also restricted to exclusive franchise tag a player three times max. That'd put him at age 30 when the Colts completely exhaust their options to keep him.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Luck leave the AFC South? As much of a mess the Colts roster is, they can still make the playoffs like almost every year until other teams stop being a mess

Have you ever heard a player say "I wanna stay with this team because the rest of the teams in the division suck"?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Colts go bottoms up this year and next year and Luck gets too frustrated with it all and pulls an Elway, executing a non-exclusive tag would net the Colts two first round draft picks from the team that signs him. Might be enough to let him go if things get salty enough.

Teams are also restricted to exclusive franchise tag a player three times max. That'd put him at age 30 when the Colts completely exhaust their options to keep him.

Right but my guess is by then they would have traded him and since they can control where he is traded my guess is they would want to negotiate with any other team than those in their division and that of the Broncos. My guess is they would trade him to an NFC team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard a player say "I wanna stay with this team because the rest of the teams in the division suck"?
Have you ever heard a team say "I wanna get rid of my best player, who is a QB, and then go out and try to make my team better without a QB?

Luck might show some frustration with the roster but its no worse than at least a dozen rosters out there. Denver is also old.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right but my guess is by then they would have traded him and since they can control where he is traded my guess is they would want to negotiate with any other team than those in their division and that of the Broncos. My guess is they would trade him to an NFC team.

Feasible. Of course, he could pull a Favre, too.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feasible. Of course, he could pull a Favre, too.

You mean retire then decide to unretire but tell the team that he wants to be traded but that he will void any trade that he does not like because that was written into his contract? Few problems there in Luck doesn't have it written into his contract that he can void any trade so the Colts have the right to trade him anywhere they like without him having any say in the matter. Retirement doesn't seem like a feasible idea for him when he is about to land the biggest contract in NFL history. He can ask for a release like Favre did but he didn't get it and I doubt Luck in his prime would get one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:
Why Denver?
Interesting parallels:

Interesting thoughts, but so far away from what I think will happen that it's hard to really respond.

I'm going to try anyway...DEN knew they had a relatively short window of opportunity when they signed Manning...they geared up for a SB run and they are still in the midst of it.

Luck to DEN...I get you on the Stanford connection, but I see no way possible that IND would even consider trading Luck...not after getting another franchise QB back to back almost...pardon the pun, but IND knows they really lucked out getting Luck....no way.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean retire then decide to unretire but tell the team that he wants to be traded but that he will void any trade that he does not like because that was written into his contract? Few problems there in Luck doesn't have it written into his contract that he can void any trade so the Colts have the right to trade him anywhere they like without him having any say in the matter. Retirement doesn't seem like a feasible idea for him when he is about to land the biggest contract in NFL history. He can ask for a release like Favre did but he didn't get it and I doubt Luck in his prime would get one.

Actually, I was referring to Favre's temporary stop with the Jets to get to where he wanted to be in the first place: Minnesota. Not necessarily retirement, but circumvention.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard a team say "I wanna get rid of my best player, who is a QB, and then go out and try to make my team better without a QB?

Luck might show some frustration with the roster but its no worse than at least a dozen rosters out there. Denver is also old.

Outside of Peyton they're not really old at all. Mathis and Ware are up there but their contracts expire next year. Most Broncos above 30 have contracts that are up after this year

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I was referring to Favre's temporary stop with the Jets to get to where he wanted to be in the first place: Minnesota. Not necessarily retirement, but circumvention.

What team that signs him though is going to let him go? They most likely sign him to something like a 6-year deal with $25 million a year on the contract. This is the difference between a player entering their prime and that of a guy at the very end of his career just trying to hold on. They are not signing Luck to just a 1 or 2 year deal like what Favre got.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah have to agree how are the Broncos old other than at a couple of spots? They have Manning's replacement for the QB position in Osweiler most likely. Ware has his replacement on the roster as well in Shane Ray and the emerging play in Shaq Barrett. The Broncos have Mathis' replacement in Max Garcia who was expected to start until they signed him and was looking good so far this year. So their 3 older players already have their replacements on the roster. The one position that maybe we don't have covered is that of RT unless Schofield has something click. Otherwise every starter on the team is 30 and below with plenty of game left.