• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Amaro not sold on Ruf.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly.com article says that Amaro will seek another proven outfielder. He will probably platoon Ruf, and possibly give him around 350 at bats. Amaros hate for Ruf continues. Since Amaro does not believe that on base percentage is important, this type of thinking will continue to have a negative impact for the future of the Phillies. Ruf projects to hit around 35 homeruns during a full season of play,plus he projects to have an OBO at around 360. I agree that we need another outfielder since mayberry is no longer a viable option, but to not give Ruf one full season to see what type of impact he will have is stupid. Ruf,Howard,and brown in the same lineup can produce a lot of power, and possibly Asche could hit 20-25 homeruns as well. We can get back to scoring a lot of runs again, and that would be exiting! Open your eyes Amaro!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly.com article says that Amaro will seek another proven outfielder. He will probably platoon Ruf, and possibly give him around 350 at bats. Amaros hate for Ruf continues. Since Amaro does not believe that on base percentage is important, this type of thinking will continue to have a negative impact for the future of the Phillies. Ruf projects to hit around 35 homeruns during a full season of play,plus he projects to have an OBO at around 360. I agree that we need another outfielder since mayberry is no longer a viable option, but to not give Ruf one full season to see what type of impact he will have is stupid. Ruf,Howard,and brown in the same lineup can produce a lot of power, and possibly Asche could hit 20-25 homeruns as well. We can get back to scoring a lot of runs again, and that would be exiting! Open your eyes Amaro!

If that's his thinking he is dumber than I thought. If he has money burning a hole in his pocket and wants to spend it on upgrading the outfield, sign Ellsbury and trade Revere for a reliever or something. Don't screw around with Ruf. The guy is in his prime and you get him cheap for the next 3 years, arbitration wages at worst until 2019. He can make up for some other contracts where Amaro overpaid guys.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not too worried about it. there definitely are several issues that could pop up. we all know revere has a weak arm and looked like complete shit before catching fire. so, which player is he? brown has had injury problems in the past and picked up 2 more since the break. and it's no guarantee he comes back, pulling a repeat season or improving. also not like he's a lock to play a full season. ruf himself, while looking very good, does K a lot and has struggled some at times just producing solid AB.

i would absolutely love to sign choo and trade revere. really liked the guy with cleveland and he's tearing it up with cincy. guy can flat out fucking hit and draw walks. only problem is he's another lefty.

but whichever way.. outfield help isn't such a bad thing.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem with trying to improve either I just don't like him talking about trying to fit in 400-350 At Bats . Then again Amaro is showing his ignorance talking about At Bats instead of plate appearances. For Ruf, 400 ABs might be close to 500 PAs, not like 420 PAs for someone like Delmon Young.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Revere would be the best option. Obtaining a center fielder who has a decent arm,and possibly could hit 10 or 15 homeruns would be a plus. If the Phillies trade for or sign a center fielder and keep Revere,then Revere and Ruf would share time in a platoon. That is idiotic! Amaro needs to focus on pitching first, everything else is secondary. Also,Hernandez is learning to play the outfield,and his bat is lighting up. He can replace mayberry and it would be a step up. IMO.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion even considering a Revere/Ruf platoon like I saw in an article in Philly.com is ridiculous. I'm convinced only like 10% of the people that cover baseball even know what a platoon is. Revere is either a starting Centerfielder or a bench player. If the Phillies get a better centerfielder and need to decide who to play in left between Revere and Ruf I take Ruf 10 times out of 10 because he is a better hitter. Nothing against Revere; if they don't upgrade at Center I think Revere at least has the potential to be good enough, he's just not a good enough hitter to cut into Ruf's playing time at a corner outfield spot.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This argument is in the forefront only because brain-dead can't find his ass with both hands-AGAIN!!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro shut out Ruf by getting Delmon Young. He said that Young was a low cost low risk option, with possible high rewards. Seems to me that Ruf fits that description. Amaro picked a guy who actually fielded worse than Ruf. Ruf is now considerd an average fielder in the out field, and is improving with time. Without looking it up, I don't think he has an error yet! He is bent on preventing Ruf from being a full time player. But why? Simply because Amaro is clueless. He constantly wants to prove that he can buy players that will succeed in order to feed his false ego. He loves to spend money, and that money should be directed toward starting pitching. Plus we could use a few relievers as well. Everthing else is secondary, simply because we have have young and promising players such as Asche,Galvis,Hernandez,Ruf, and possibly Rup. IMO.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro shut out Ruf by getting Delmon Young. He said that Young was a low cost low risk option, with possible high rewards. Seems to me that Ruf fits that description. Amaro picked a guy who actually fielded worse than Ruf. Ruf is now considerd an average fielder in the out field, and is improving with time. Without looking it up, I don't think he has an error yet! He is bent on preventing Ruf from being a full time player. But why? Simply because Amaro is clueless. He constantly wants to prove that he can buy players that will succeed in order to feed his false ego. He loves to spend money, and that money should be directed toward starting pitching. Plus we could use a few relievers as well. Everthing else is secondary, simply because we have have young and promising players such as Asche,Galvis,Hernandez,Ruf, and possibly Rup. IMO.

haha! you forgot the most promising prospect...Maikel Franco. He should've been up in sepember to get some valuable experience in the bigs. He could've played some 2B and 1B. Seriously, we don't need to see frandsen anymore and utley (since we re-signed him) should be playing very part-time this month to rest his knees.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franco shows a lot of promise. However, Amaro will find a way to block him. The Phillies have produced some future MLB players,no doubt. But if all this talent produces at a major league level,it would prevent Amaro from spending all the available money that will be available. Amaro will not be able to handle that situation. His ego is too big,he has to spend and spend and spend. That is his biggest fault. Yet,he has the owners endorsement, so I don't expect him to improve. Hopefully,the Phillies will return to their winning ways inspite of him1

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Northeast, we have explored these problems with brain-dead on other threads and thus my nickname for the dumbest GM in the league with money!!

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just about everyone loves ruf, including me.. but the reality is..

.229 average in august. .212 in september. 75 strikeouts in 202 AB. that's a worse rate than ryan howard. if he can't improve with putting the ball on the bat, then it will quickly become a problem.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at the rate that brain-dead is going, he may get a stiffy for some also-ran and trade ruf. Anything is possible with this idiot that does nothing that is logical and good for the Phillies long-term. I'd say a Billy Bean wannabe.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just about everyone loves ruf, including me.. but the reality is..

.229 average in august. .212 in september. 75 strikeouts in 202 AB. that's a worse rate than ryan howard. if he can't improve with putting the ball on the bat, then it will quickly become a problem.

Yeah, that is a little concerning, but I am impressed that the OBP and HRs are still there, which is encouraging. I guess it is possible he could end up like an Adam Dunn type player, which is not that great if you're paying hime 12 million dollars like the White Sox pay Dunn, but since they don't pay Ruf that much it sure beats the hell out of Delmon Young.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf is still learning. It is no secret that pitches outside the plate are his biggest problem. I get the feeling that he should move his stance about 2 inches inside. But,since I am not a batting coach,that probably won't happen. However, he would be on target for around 37 homeruns if he played a full season. Also,he would score around 90 runs. Having an OBP around 347 is not to shabby either. So,if he can stay away from some of those outside pitches, and improve his batting average around 20 points, he would be a major contributor.Next season, Remember,Brown did not get off to a great start either,but look at him now!

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf is still learning. It is no secret that pitches outside the plate are his biggest problem. I get the feeling that he should move his stance about 2 inches inside. But,since I am not a batting coach,that probably won't happen. However, he would be on target for around 37 homeruns if he played a full season. Also,he would score around 90 runs. Having an OBP around 347 is not to shabby either. So,if he can stay away from some of those outside pitches, and improve his batting average around 20 points, he would be a major contributor.Next season, Remember,Brown did not get off to a great start either,but look at him now!

The Fat stiff at 1B will hinder any chance for Ruf to get time next year and Ruin Tomorrow Jr will keep him outta the OF because he needs more time in the minors where he will more then likely rot away.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]
haha! you forgot the most promising prospect...Maikel Franco. He should've been up in sepember to get some valuable experience in the bigs. He could've played some 2B and 1B. Seriously, we don't need to see frandsen anymore and utley (since we re-signed him) should be playing very part-time this month to rest his knees.

I'm guessing part of the reason that Franco wasn't called up after roster expansion is that he's not on the 40-man roster, so they would have had to drop someone and risk losing them.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing part of the reason that Franco wasn't called up after roster expansion is that he's not on the 40-man roster, so they would have had to drop someone and risk losing them.

I'm just curious, why would a blue jays fan know/care who the Phillies have on their 40-man roster? I'm not saying I have a problem with it or anything, I just don't understand it

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruin Tomorrow Jr. That is classic! You gave me a good laugh! By the way, Hernandez could be the future leadoff man of the future. Since Sandburg likes him, Amaro might keep him around next season. Asche is looking pretty good too. But since Amaro thinks all players need to rot in the minors until they are 25 years old, everything is a question mark.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Sandberg can get the owner's ear and convince him to send brain-dead on a one-way vacation somewhere like Siberia or something!