• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Burnett - I'm intrigued by this.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

While I agree with the WAR... I think we need to look at what happens every year... Every year some team in the hunt for the post season starts hunting any and all available starters to add to their rotation...And this picks up in fervor around the all star break and climax's at the trade deadline.

Other teams desperation to compete, combined with a shortage of starters available, combined with the fact that many other starters they might acquire will require even larger financial obligations for longer periods of time.

All of these things weigh in the Pirates favour if and or when they decide to dangle Burnett as trade bait.

Also... If he is only say 1 or 2 games WAR... well there may not be 10 teams beating a path to NH's door to make a deal..But if he is in the 3-4 WAR range...All of a sudden that puts him in a whole new category. There will not be many starters out there with that kind of WAR available for trade...making what Burnett makes.

And because Burnett is only signed for one more year...In my opinion it would not be a major issue convincing another team that he is a good bet to continue pitching great in the future... because they are not going to be tied to Burnett for more than 1 year....If he fizzles out they can cut their losses...As long as they get the pitcher that helps them make a run to the post season they can justify taking on his salary and giving up a good prospect to the Pirates.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Burnett is a 3-4 WAR pitcher at the trade deadline, it is a more likely scenario that WE will be competing for a playoff spot and hence have absolutely no reason to trade him to someone competing against us.

Burnett is what I like to call affordably inexpendable, meaning if he performs, there may be no reason to trade him and if he doesn't no one will necessarily want him.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

I would love to imagine a scenario where the Pirates are in the thick of the wild card hunt in September... But even if Burnett was 3 games WAR... With this offense... do you really think it possible for them to be in a position where the post season was anything other than a pipe dream?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow

I would love to imagine a scenario where the Pirates are in the thick of the wild card hunt in September... But even if Burnett was 3 games WAR... With this offense... do you really think it possible for them to be in a position where the post season was anything other than a pipe dream?

If you look at my prediction in the prediction thread, yes I do believe we will be in the playoff hunt.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the comment section under a couple of Burnett articles at ESPN.com.....I always find it funny how much pride Yankees fans take in the mental destruction their city has towards professional athletes.....

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow,

Sorry I did not look at the prediction thread on this site. So I did not see what you had written.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Element,

Yankee fans have a lot of anger... They spend double over any other team in the league ( save the red sox) and they do not win every world series....

I feel sorry for them... The cost to be a Yankee fan to subscribe to their TV package or to get a box seat at their stadium... It would make me angry as well.