• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A trade is ahead?

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I am reading indicates a shake up is coming. I also read a quote from Hexy saying he couldn't get a 5th rounder for his underachieving veterans right now. Ideally a move would include some of the following: Vinny, Umberger, A Mac, Coburn, L. Schenn......Those not getting traded, G, Jake, Simmonds, Couts, Laughton, Streit, Grossmann.....This leaves B. Schenn (I hope not), Read, Rinaldo, Frenchie, Raffl, VV, Schultz, MDZ....I have left out goalies.

As I see it, a major shake up would mean moving either B. Schenn or Read. I really don't consider this to be a major shake up. So what do you all see as a major shake up?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can get a 5th rounder....take it.

Get rid of the contracts and the dead weight. Loose with kids who want to be here. Loose with a team that is a team and not a bunch of over payed under achievers.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read & Schenn can probably get the most in return. Is it worth it tho? 2015 will be a very good draft class, is it worth making aggressive moves to try & salvage this season if it means messing up draft position? IDK...
:noidea:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be trying to package Matt Read and Braydon Coburn - Brayden Schenn would only get moved if you get a significant return

Matt Read's contract doesn't look so great, honestly - especially with his production this season

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read & Schenn can probably get the most in return. Is it worth it tho? 2015 will be a very good draft class, is it worth making aggressive moves to try & salvage this season if it means messing up draft position? IDK...
:noidea:

I'm with you here. I wait till the TD before I make any big deals. As of today, the Flyers better be selling rather than buying. Start piling up picks. Coburn, Read, Vinny, etc can go. Heck even the Sabres are catching us with total points now. The first pick is not out of the question.:noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you here. I wait till the TD before I make any big deals. As of today, the Flyers better be selling rather than buying. Start piling up picks. Coburn, Read, Vinny, etc can go. Heck even the Sabres are catching us with total points now. The first pick is not out of the question.:noidea:

:agree:

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ominous thing, for the fans, is that all we hear is that Hextall is determined to be patient and that because of the ludicrous contracts that MacD, Umbie and Vinny are signed too, no one will touch them with a ten foot pole. Oh, and because of the Canadian dollar, the cap may only move by 1/2 - 1 million.

I am not sure what is worse, no chatter that the Flyers are at their wits end with the current situation and a change is imminent, ala the end of Lavy & Stevens' tenures, or the the cold hard cap related facts.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ominous thing, for the fans, is that all we hear is that Hextall is determined to be patient and that because of the ludicrous contracts that MacD, Umbie and Vinny are signed too, no one will touch them with a ten foot pole. Oh, and because of the Canadian dollar, the cap may only move by 1/2 - 1 million.

I am not sure what is worse, no chatter that the Flyers are at their wits end with the current situation and a change is imminent, ala the end of Lavy & Stevens' tenures, or the the cold hard cap related facts.

Yeah I haven't heard anything about any possible moves - it's been real quiet - you'd think a shoe would drop by now

Either there's a cold reality that they can't do anything or they're asleep at the wheel

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I haven't heard anything about any possible moves - it's been real quiet - you'd think a shoe would drop by now

Either there's a cold reality that they can't do anything or they're asleep at the wheel

I doubt they are asleep at the wheel. Just the simple fact that Homer made a giant mess that Hexi can't fix.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they are asleep at the wheel. Just the simple fact that Homer made a giant mess that Hexi can't fix.

Homer did put them in a giant mess and it's going to be real hard for Hexy to do anything significant right now but the boat has to be shaken up, don't you think? There's always something they could do - heck, waiving Vinny or RJ would be shaking up the boat - would it make them look bad if they waived a guy like Vinny? Maybe, but they're not in the business of making people happy - they're trying to win games

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer did put them in a giant mess and it's going to be real hard for Hexy to do anything significant right now but the boat has to be shaken up, don't you think? There's always something they could do - heck, waiving Vinny or RJ would be shaking up the boat - would it make them look bad if they waived a guy like Vinny? Maybe, but they're not in the business of making people happy - they're trying to win games

I would like to see a move for a offensively skilled winger. I would be okay with trading anyone other than Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds and Laughton at this point. I said it yesterday but if it was up to me would break up Giroux and Voracek. Allow Simmonds, Laughton and Voracek to play the 2nd line. RJ was a money move and the Vinny signing made no sense then or now. With Laughton on the way and Couts, Schenn and Giroux already on the roster really mind boggling. Thanks Homer. :L

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with a trade is that the Flyers aren't in position to make any major moves right now unless they could find a way to dump Lacavalier & Umberger, but as Chy would say,

NOBODY WANTS LACAVALIER OR UMBERGER!!!!!!!!!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could change at the trade deadline when teams are more desperate to add talent.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can actually stop thinking trade. If anyone wants a young player, i.e. B. Schenn, they will have to take a shitty contract, i.e. Vinny, Umberger, A Mac. Unless Homer is hired by another team, no GM will take one of those 3.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Hextall's plan is to hold on to Vinny and Umberger until their contracts expire or they retire. Any move to get rid of them would have to provide a lot of value to the team taking them. It would be something like Chy suggested where the Flyers move Vinny and Schenn for minimal return, just to get rid of the contract. That sets you back just as far as having Vinny on the roster.

And we're just going to have to deal with that.

Brings up an interesting question though, anyone know what would happen if Vinny retired at the end of the season (April-June) but then decided to play again in August? Would that mutually terminate his contract? I can't imagine that situation would, but what if he took 2015-16 off and decided to play again in 2016-17? Seems like that would be cap circumvention in some sense.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I honestly think Hextall's plan is to hold on to Vinny and Umberger until their contracts expire or they retire. Any move to get rid of them would have to provide a lot of value to the team taking them. It would be something like Chy suggested where the Flyers move Vinny and Schenn for minimal return, just to get rid of the contract. That sets you back just as far as having Vinny on the roster.

And we're just going to have to deal with that.

Brings up an interesting question though, anyone know what would happen if Vinny retired at the end of the season (April-June) but then decided to play again in August? Would that mutually terminate his contract? I can't imagine that situation would, but what if he took 2015-16 off and decided to play again in 2016-17? Seems like that would be cap circumvention in some sense.

ugh this sucks to see this guy go through this he is just done. what you describe above does sound like circumvention but i don't care. i don't know how you get rid of that contract.

as for umberger, at least hartnell could play hockey...even if he took some crap penalties.

mcdonald and vinny are going to be in the pressbox tonight from what twitter tells me....9.5 cap space and i hope they sit right next to holmgren.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as for umberger, at least hartnell could play hockey...even if he took some crap penalties.

Going back to that trade, I still think it was an indication that Hextall knew this team wouldn't be a Cup contender in the next couple of years, and so was moving out long term salary in exchange for a lesser player.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Going back to that trade, I still think it was an indication that Hextall knew this team wouldn't be a Cup contender in the next couple of years, and so was moving out long term salary in exchange for a lesser player.

i mean i get that...but once again you acquire a position of strength(center) and lose another wing player which we don't have. it's just frustrating, this is like the sixers with igoudala. strapped for cash and mediocre to bad.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean i get that...but once again you acquire a position of strength(center) and lose another wing player which we don't have. it's just frustrating, this is like the sixers with igoudala. strapped for cash and mediocre to bad.

I think Umberger has played just as much wing as he has center throughout his career. His first stint in Philly he was mostly a center, but I think he played a lot of wing in Columbus.

The rest still stands though. Frustrating to have to make trades like Umberger for Hartnell just to knock of some contract years you don't want. Especially given the decline of Umberger this season.