• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#8 Pick Who Is Top 5 On your Board?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen half a dz mock drafts and at least 3 of them have ATL taking Dante Fowler...OLB/DE from FL.

Of course picking 8th, you don't have complete control over you will be on the board, but if the reports are true...TB will take a QB, and TN will trade down and the team that moves to the #2 spot will also take a QB...that works great for ATL imo.

Of course this is pre-combine, but I think ATL's top 5 board should look something like this.

1. Randy Gregory, DE NEB...noted the best 4-3 DE in this draft class...probably won't last until 8 though.
2. Shane Ray, DE, Mizzou...very fast off the edge, has more than one pass rush move already
3. Dante Fowler, OLB, FL...I really don't see him playing as a traditional 4-3 DE, in a hybrid front, yes.
4. Brandon Scherff, OT IA...Plug n play RT...I'm not real high on Baker, too good to pass up
5. Alvin Dupree, DE/OLB, KY He's more of a 4-3 DE than Fowler, but not as explosive.

If these 5 are gone...I would try to trade back and pick up an extra 3rd round pick...from there I would target Maxx Williams, TE MINN, or this group of OTs...Andrus Peat, OT, Stan, La'el Collins, OT, LSU, or TJ Clemmings...all plug n play RTs

Then in the 2nd round I would target the DE...there are 2 or 3 guys project to be at the top of the 2nd round.

IMO the Falcons really need an upgrade @ MLB as well...Warrilow is the best of the lot, but imo is not a great player...hopefully Spoon can be signed cheap and he can stay on the field.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gregory, Armstead, Fowler, and Ray. Beasley could be an option but I'm not sure he's worth it to draft that high. He's still a project like the other guys who will be going in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I believe Fowler is a popular pick for Atlanta in the mock drafts is because Quinn was the defensive coordinator for Florida when Fowler first got there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gregory, Armstead, Fowler, and Ray. Beasley could be an option but I'm not sure he's worth it to draft that high. He's still a project like the other guys who will be going in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I believe Fowler is a popular pick for Atlanta in the mock drafts is because Quinn was the defensive coordinator for Florida when Fowler first got there.

Ray...interesting player...really too thin to contain the edge in run support at 240-245 to be a 3 down player, but as a sub-pkg player I can see him having impact early. But he has the frame to play about 255-260...Aldon Smith body type. The SEA LBs are not real big, but fast.

Beasley...I see him purely as a sub-pkg player...8 is too high for him imo. Some people think he might not have the frame to play @ 250+. Definitely not a 4-3 DE.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray...interesting player...really too thin to contain the edge in run support at 240-245 to be a 3 down player, but as a sub-pkg player I can see him having impact early. But he has the frame to play about 255-260...Aldon Smith body type. The SEA LBs are not real big, but fast.

Beasley...I see him purely as a sub-pkg player...8 is too high for him imo. Some people think he might not have the frame to play @ 250+. Definitely not a 4-3 DE.

QBs will be taken with at least 2 of the 7 picks ahead of us. There aren't really any great OTs but I could see 1 or 2 DTs going off the board too. I have a feeling Gregory will be off the board but I really like Armstead for the #8 pick so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. He could potentially be a hybrid DT/DE because of his size.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs will be taken with at least 2 of the 7 picks ahead of us. There aren't really any great OTs but I could see 1 or 2 DTs going off the board too. I have a feeling Gregory will be off the board but I really like Armstead for the #8 pick so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. He could potentially be a hybrid DT/DE because of his size.

I agree on the QBs...even if TN trades down...if Mariota has a good combine whether he throws or not, he's going before 8...I'd doubt any OTs go top 10 unless WAS takes Scherff. The only DEF guys I think we can take off the board for ATL will be Gregory and Williams...and while likely, I'm not 100% that Gregory will be gone.

That said...Idk enough about Armstead to have a comment really...some big boards have him late 1st, others going earlier...my only thing with him...is he a true edge player? Babs, Tyson Jackson, Soliai and Peters are all 4-3 DTs. Maybe they don't all stick, but the Falcons need a faster edge player.