• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/18/23 Cobb @ Strider

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This weekend should be "fun".

Not sure yet if this is all overblown or if I should take the hysteria seriously.

When we lived in Pasadena, every time there were a few raindrops, all the TV news would be shouting, "Stormwatch 2023!!!!!!"

This coming storm looks legit, though, and not to be taken lightly. Hope y'all are safe.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we lived in Pasadena, every time there were a few raindrops, all the TV news would be shouting, "Stormwatch 2023!!!!!!"

This coming storm looks legit, though, and not to be taken lightly. Hope y'all are safe.
Whenever there is going to be rain in So Cal, I think of this video:

Looks like at worst, you may get some light rain in your neck of the woods, with the storm likely to move well east of you. If you don't hear from cal or I by early Tuesday, it probably means we got wash out to sea . . . or decided to take a couple days off just to spook you all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good idea to go through something like this just to refresh your local assessment of potential problems. This has forced me to go over my internal checklist of things to be aware of…

Flooding? Nope, I live at the top of a ridge in a canyon area, so SERIOUS flooding shouldn’t be an issue. Leaking windows or general rain damage is always a concern, though.

Mudslide? Somewhat, but the slope of the ridge behind my house isn’t THAT steep, and there is the step back area of my back yard to the house. I am not concerned, but my confidence level in that lack of concern is lower than I would like.

Falling trees? I have been aware of potential tree dangers since I moved in. There are two tall trees in potential vicinity of my house, but both would need to fall uphill, without losing their footing to even begin to offer a real danger to the house. Falling branches may be a thing, but that would really only cause neusance damage.

Access to civilivation? Power and internet are obviously a potential issue. No solution to that. I will just make sure my phones and mobile devices are fully charged tonight. I am not that far from a major retail area, and my primary route to get there does not pose a flooding concern. However, fallen trees may be a problem, so I really need to map out alternate routes, just to be safe (I hadn’t thought of this until writing this... YAY).

Other concerns? My solar system may be in danger. I don’t own that, so really, that isn’t MY concern. No way to protect it, either way.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good idea to go through something like this just to refresh your local assessment of potential problems. This has forced me to go over my internal checklist of things to be aware of…

Flooding? Nope, I live at the top of a ridge in a canyon area, so SERIOUS flooding shouldn’t be an issue. Leaking windows or general rain damage is always a concern, though.

Mudslide? Somewhat, but the slope of the ridge behind my house isn’t THAT steep, and there is the step back area of my back yard to the house. I am not concerned, but my confidence level in that lack of concern is lower than I would like.

Falling trees? I have been aware of potential tree dangers since I moved in. There are two tall trees in potential vicinity of my house, but both would need to fall uphill, without losing their footing to even begin to offer a real danger to the house. Falling branches may be a thing, but that would really only cause neusance damage.

Access to civilivation? Power and internet are obviously a potential issue. No solution to that. I will just make sure my phones and mobile devices are fully charged tonight. I am not that far from a major retail area, and my primary route to get there does not pose a flooding concern. However, fallen trees may be a problem, so I really need to map out alternate routes, just to be safe (I hadn’t thought of this until writing this... YAY).

Other concerns? My solar system may be in danger. I don’t own that, so really, that isn’t MY concern. No way to protect it, either way.
Nice. You forgot one thing, what is the risk assessment for your helipad?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. You forgot one thing, what is the risk assessment for your helipad?
I saw an episode of Hawaii 5-Oh where they lifted an entire house off its foundation to protect it from a wildfire. I figure if need be, I can just fly away with the helipad if needed.