• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6/7 GDT Horse @ iPads

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game (1-0, bitches) and I came out with a couple observations...

1) Pagan is HORRIBLE in the field. That drop was devastating, and he looked like he was loligagging out there and he made the "catch" with on hand. Horrible.

2) Pagen COMPLETELY made up for the D with his bat

3) Why the HELL did Riot the home?

4) Cain is a beast. Pure and simple.

5) Pitcher D was SOLID

6) Posey hit the SHIT out of that ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

1) Pagan is HORRIBLE in the field. That drop was devastating, and he looked like he was loligagging out there and he made the "catch" with on hand. Horrible.

5) Pitcher D was SOLID

#3 They were playing back conceding the run, but with the pitcher running and not getting a good break, and with his momentum coming towards the plate as he fielded the ball, he had a good shot at nailing the runner. He just made a poor throw. With a good throw, the runner is out. But, of course, you have to get at least one out there. Thank god for point #4.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5) Pitcher D was SOLID

Oxy is not a horrible defender -- Soriano is a horrible OF. Oxy is a guy who should be in LF. Riot had the runner at home -- easy -- if he makes a good throw. I have no problem with the decision

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oxy is not a horrible defender -- Soriano is a horrible OF. Oxy is a guy who should be in LF. Riot had the runner at home -- easy -- if he makes a good throw. I have no problem with the decision

Think it'll happen? On a slightly related note, when do we see Nate in CF for his weekly to bi-weekly starting appearance? If he is going to be a 4th OF, they might as well work on his versatility.

Plus, if he isn't in your future plans, at least give him a fighting chance at catching on somewhere else with above average proficiency at all outfield positions (I'm going to assume he can handle LF, anywhere).

I know a lot of us have wondered aloud about this before, but it only makes more sense when the CF is losing focus in the field. Of course, you don't want to sit a guy when he is hitting well, but Melky has cooled slightly and could use a day off soon.

Do you worry about how Pagan will take it? Wouldn't he be more threatened by it if the Giants had Blanco or Melky in Center, instead of Schierholtz?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Think it'll happen? On a slightly related note, when do we see Nate in CF for his weekly to bi-weekly starting appearance? If he is going to be a 4th OF, they might as well work on his versatility.

Plus, if he isn't in your future plans, at least give him a fighting chance at catching on somewhere else with above average proficiency at all outfield positions (I'm going to assume he can handle LF, anywhere).

I know a lot of us have wondered aloud about this before, but it only makes more sense when the CF is losing focus in the field. Of course, you don't want to sit a guy when he is hitting well, but Melky has cooled slightly and could use a day off soon.

Do you worry about how Pagan will take it? Wouldn't he be more threatened by it if the Giants had Blanco or Melky in Center, instead of Schierholtz?

This.

Also, I don't think Melky in CF is better than Pagan. Melky's jumps seem a little late to me, and CF is a position where getting a good initial read is important (and more difficult). Blanco, I think, is a good notch below Torres, but he is the best OF of the group, and best option at CF.

Hard to know what Bochy will do, he does not play the game on paper like we do. So Pagan's reaction and standing in the clubhouse would probably be a pretty important factor in what Bochy does.

All that said, with the versatility of the other three guys, Schierholtz does not need to be versatile to be an effective fourth outfielder on the Giants. But he does need to play CF to have the best chance at a longer career elsewhere.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see them moving Nate to CF, but I could see Boch moving Shark to CF. They don't need to work on Nates versatility, as his greatest value is playing RF at home. I trust Bochy to handle Oxy and his ego. It may be that moving him out of CF would hurt more than help.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Also, I don't think Melky in CF is better than Pagan. Melky's jumps seem a little late to me, and CF is a position where getting a good initial read is important (and more difficult). Blanco, I think, is a good notch below Torres, but he is the best OF of the group, and best option at CF.

Hard to know what Bochy will do, he does not play the game on paper like we do. So Pagan's reaction and standing in the clubhouse would probably be a pretty important factor in what Bochy does.

All that said, with the versatility of the other three guys, Schierholtz does not need to be versatile to be an effective fourth outfielder on the Giants. But he does need to play CF to have the best chance at a longer career elsewhere.

Thank you for adding that. It slipped my mind, and I concur. Agreed on the second bolded part, too. That has more to do with my hope that he catches on elsewhere when an inevitably cheaper (and possibly better) alternative arises.

That said, when Blanco comes down to Earth (and I don't think it will be a crash landing), it wouldn't hurt to have another guy that we feel confident to have his head in the game for its entirety in center. At this point, I've seen two instances where it looked like Pagan was loafing on plays he could've made (could have been bad jumps, of course), so I wonder if there is a strike three? I'd rather find a non-threatening chance to ease him over to LF (and it helps the career of a player that I like). Nate reminds me a lot of Mike Aldrete in scope of talent, ceiling and likeability. Who didn't like Mike Aldrete?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see them moving Nate to CF, but I could see Boch moving Shark to CF. They don't need to work on Nates versatility, as his greatest value is playing RF at home. I trust Bochy to handle Oxy and his ego. It may be that moving him out of CF would hurt more than help.

Oh, I knew it would be Blanco relieving most of the CF duties, and at home, the only place Nate plays is right field. I guess I'm more lamenting over the plight of the 4th OF. Not quite good enough to get more cuts to have a better chance at being good enough.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thank you for adding that. It slipped my mind, and I concur. Agreed on the second bolded part, too. That has more to do with my hope that he catches on elsewhere when an inevitably cheaper (and possibly better) alternative arises.

That said, when Blanco comes down to Earth (and I don't think it will be a crash landing), it wouldn't hurt to have another guy that we feel confident to have his head in the game for its entirety in center. At this point, I've seen two instances where it looked like Pagan was loafing on plays he could've made (could have been bad jumps, of course), so I wonder if there is a strike three? I'd rather find a non-threatening chance to ease him over to LF (and it helps the career of a player that I like). Nate reminds me a lot of Mike Aldrete in scope of talent, ceiling and likeability. Who didn't like Mike Aldrete?

Yeah, definitely looks like Pagan mentally "checks out" on occasion. I hate having a CF I have to worry about. And, I agree about Blanco too. I'd love for him to sustain this level of performance, but I think some regression is to be expected.

And Mike Aldrete? Yep, one of my favorites. I once had a little used Aldrete bat. Packed it away somewhere and completely lost track of it.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, definitely looks like Pagan mentally "checks out" on occasion. I hate having a CF I have to worry about. And, I agree about Blanco too. I'd love for him to sustain this level of performance, but I think some regression is to be expected.

And Mike Aldrete? Yep, one of my favorites. I once had a little used Aldrete bat. Packed it away somewhere and completely lost track of it.

His autograph is prominently featured on a Mike Krukow Golf Classic Bat along with Krook, Matt Williams, Mark Davis, Mark Gardner and Robin Ventura (local hero) in my living room, as I type.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
His autograph is prominently featured on a Mike Krukow Golf Classic Bat along with Krook, Matt Williams, Mark Davis, Mark Gardner and Robin Ventura (local hero) in my living room, as I type.

That's really cool. I got my bat just before Mike was traded to Montreal (for Tracy Jones).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really cool. I got my bat just before Mike was traded to Montreal (for Tracy Jones).

Even at a young age, I saw the benefits to that one. It was essentially a push, but it looked good from a numbers and need standpoint. Does anyone really win when teams swap utility guys with little upside?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even at a young age, I saw the benefits to that one. It was essentially a push, but it looked good from a numbers and need standpoint. Does anyone really win when teams swap utility guys with little upside?

Good question.

Now that I think of it, Tracy Jones is Nate Schierholtz (although Jones was the first pick in his draft class). Drafted as a 3B, converted to OF. Tall, athletic, somewhat wiry guy. Prone to streaks at the plate. I saw his high water mark with the Giants, a freezing cold summer night at Candlestick Park where he went 5-4. We got walk up tickets on the railing just beyond the 1B bag.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

Now that I think of it, Tracy Jones is Nate Schierholtz (although Jones was the first pick in his draft class). Drafted as a 3B, converted to OF. Tall, athletic, somewhat wiry guy. Prone to streaks at the plate. I saw his high water mark with the Giants, a freezing cold summer night at Candlestick Park where he went 5-4. We got walk up tickets on the railing just beyond the 1B bag.

What's with the idiosyncratic way you've started typing hits per AB? If a guy goes 4 for 5 you say 'he went 4 for 5' or shortened 'he went 4-5'. What up?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What's with the idiosyncratic way you've started typing hits per AB? If a guy goes 4 for 5 you say 'he went 4 for 5' or shortened 'he went 4-5'. What up?

Eh.....that's the way it shows up in the boxscore. If I copy and paste the data, it keeps the order of the data consistent.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

That is just about one of the only things I miss about the stick. Any regular season game, day or night, weekday or weekend, you could walk up to the ticket window and buy a really, really good seat 15 minutes before gametime. (Well, so long as we weren't playing the Dodgers. Or maybe the Cards.)

Now, in order to get a good seat you have to buy it online several days before and pay $15 in "fees". Somewhere around home I have kicking a 1993 ticket, lower box, that I bought as a walk-up. I think it cost $9.50. That's somewhere around 500-800 percent increase in 20 years.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is just about one of the only things I miss about the stick. Any regular season game, day or night, weekday or weekend, you could walk up to the ticket window and buy a really, really good seat 15 minutes before gametime. (Well, so long as we weren't playing the Dodgers. Or maybe the Cards.)

Now, in order to get a good seat you have to buy it online several days before and pay $15 in "fees". Somewhere around home I have kicking a 1993 ticket, lower box, that I bought as a walk-up. I think it cost $9.50. That's somewhere around 500-800 percent increase in 20 years.

Yep. That was the only thing good about the stick.

As for buying now, looks to me that for really good seats, i.e. Premium Field Club, the prices drop a bit on game day, but not by much (10% or so). I'm tracking a couple of areas right now for the Houston mid-week day game to get a read on how these prices behave for what should be a weak drawing team. I'm tracking the first couple of rows behind home plate, and the first two rows next to the Giants' bullpen.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. That was the only thing good about the stick.

As for buying now, looks to me that for really good seats, i.e. Premium Field Club, the prices drop a bit on game day, but not by much (10% or so). I'm tracking a couple of areas right now for the Houston mid-week day game to get a read on how these prices behave for what should be a weak drawing team. I'm tracking the first couple of rows behind home plate, and the first two rows next to the Giants' bullpen.

Carnation chocolate malts were pretty good too.

And Bat Day.

But yeah, that place sucked.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carnation chocolate malts were pretty good too.

And Bat Day.

But yeah, that place sucked.

I used to love the Chocolate Malts there. Those and the double headers were awesome. I miss the place due to nostalgia, but Your-Phone-Company-Here Ballpark has it ALL over Candlestick.