• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6/5 GDT Freak @ PAAAdres

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't someone here have an homage screen name praising Henny?

SFAnthem, lol. Every once in awhile, I still call him Anthessy. Not sure if it was for Brad or for the alcohol though.....

lol, Hennessy was my drink of choice back in the days when having only one brand was en vogue (i guess it was a college thing) and of course I was doucey enough to make it my handle for all the sports forums I was posting at.

That the Giants drafted a guy name Hennessy was pure coincidence..it did have a lot of marketing potential.

Cazic actually thought I was on his side because of my handle and sought to recruit me during his 19 saves!! tirade.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brad Hennessey: First round 2001 #21 overall.
Noah Lowery: First round 2001 #30 overall
Todd Linden : First round, supplemental, #41 overall

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Hennessey: First round 2001 #21 overall.
Noah Lowery: First round 2001 #30 overall
Todd Linden : First round, supplemental, #41 overall

I see your 2001, and raise you 2007 (save for pick #10)

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see your 2001, and raise you 2007 (save for pick #10)

Bum more than makes up for that 07 draft, but damn! We took a lot of high upside guys, and from the looks of things, none of them look like they're going to pan out too well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum more than makes up for that 07 draft, but damn! We took a lot of high upside guys, and from the looks of things, none of them look like they're going to pan out too well.

In general, I would agree with this, but he was a top 10 pick. You really HAVE to hit on those.

When you then whiff quite badly on the other 6 (NOT FOUR, NOT FIVE, BUT SIX!!!!) other first rounds, I have a hard time calling that a good draft.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your team can't beat the Padres they aren't winning the division.

Serious question, What's wrong with Timmy?

There's a pretty serious logic fail with the above statement.

Right now, I think half of it is lack of fastball command and half of it is confidence/focus. He's being victimized (usually) by one inning where everything falls apart. My gut feeling is that he'll be at least a good #2 Starter by the All Star Break.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your team can't beat the Padres they aren't winning the division.

Serious question, What's wrong with Timmy?

Change in mechanics to compensate for a drop in velocity due to pitching almost 1000 innings (with well over 1000 Ks = a lot of pitches) in his first 4 full major league seasons and being 5'11." He seems to be nearing the light at the end of the tunnel with his transformation, though. Wouldn't you agree? Last night's numbers tend to be pointing in the right direction. Obviously, he still needs to avoid the one to two bad innings per outing that he is experiencing, but that could be said about almost every pitcher in the game (and would equal complete transformation).

Granted, I don't think he will get back to the dominance that he experienced in his first two full seasons (and the majority of his career), but it would have been a little homerish to expect that level of overpowering play to go on for the entirety of a career from a guy that is 6'5" 240, let alone 5'11" 180. He will most likely be the best #3 in baseball in the next month or so. Thanks for your concern, though.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010 is on the phone for you...

New ownership is coming soon. It will most likely be either Stephen Cohen or Thomas Tull. The Padres will be better in the future.

The biggest problem I see with Timmy is his loss in velocity. he's not throwing 95 anymore. The Giants did two very smart things over the winter in locking up Cain & giving Timmy a 2 year deal. The way Timmy is pitching at the moment he might not get a long term deal after the 2 years are up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New ownership is coming soon. It will most likely be either Stephen Cohen or Thomas Tull. The Padres will be better in the future.

The biggest problem I see with Timmy is his loss in velocity. he's not throwing 95 anymore. The Giants did two very smart things over the winter in locking up Cain & giving Timmy a 2 year deal. The way Timmy is pitching at the moment he might not get a long term deal after the 2 years are up.

I live in SD, so I am somewhat familiar with the state of SD baseball.

Ownership is an issue, and the way Morad was treated by MLB did not help the Padre org.

BUT...

The Padres simply do not have the fan base to EVER be more than a once-a-generation competitor. Everyone here is a fan of the road team. Is this a result of the woes of the last few years? I don't think so, since everyone who roots for the road team is a fan from that area. Those fans are not changing allegiance. The Chargers have the same problem, and they have actually put good products on the field over the last 10 years or so.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in SD, so I am somewhat familiar with the state of SD baseball.

Ownership is an issue, and the way Morad was treated by MLB did not help the Padre org.

BUT...

The Padres simply do not have the fan base to EVER be more than a once-a-generation competitor. Everyone here is a fan of the road team. Is this a result of the woes of the last few years? I don't think so, since everyone who roots for the road team is a fan from that area. Those fans are not changing allegiance. The Chargers have the same problem, and they have actually put good products on the field over the last 10 years or so.

Moorad couldn't afford the team. Selig & MLB screwed over the fans by allowing him to buy the team. It's So Cal if you put a winning team on the field the fans will come. Heck the Padres have drawn over 2 million with bad teams over the years.

The Padres have the lowest payroll in baseball. Meanwhile Moores sits back & waits at his plush home in PEBBLE BEACH for the hundreds of millions of dollars he will receive from the sale of the team.

Padres fans deserve better.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moorad couldn't afford the team. Selig & MLB screwed over the fans by allowing him to buy the team. It's So Cal if you put a winning team on the field the fans will come. Heck the Padres have drawn over 2 million with bad teams over the years.

The Padres have the lowest payroll in baseball. Meanwhile Moores sits back & waits at his plush home in PEBBLE BEACH for the hundreds of millions of dollars he will receive from the sale of the team.

No, they don't. They have ONE OF the lowest payrolls in baseball, but they don't have THE lowest.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they don't. They have ONE OF the lowest payrolls in baseball, but they don't have THE lowest.

According to USA Today the Padres have the lowest payroll in baseball at $55,244,700. The A's are second at 55,372,500.

So like I said the Padres have the LOWEST payroll in baseball.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the cazic love for fringe players. I miss that........:madgrin:

I have a certain fondness for homegrown players myself. Especially starting pitchers who can rake it. Between Hennessey and Lowry I thought we were onto something back then. I can't blame cazic for that.

I blame him for other things like 40 shutouts and JT O'Sullivan and a bunch of other crap that thankfully I can't remember. Kinda sucks that such a douchebag is wasting any minimal space in my memory at all. Fuck that guy for being.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No they don't. They have a nice, new stadium and STILL can't fill it. Even in 2010 when they went to the last day of the season in contention they couldn't fill it.
2009 -- 20th in average capacity.
2010 -- 18th in average capacity
2011 -- 17th in average capacity.

Pathetic. About 40% of the seats go unsold. 42,500 seat stadium and more than 17,000 unsold tickets on average.

They do NOT deserve better, the park isn't even a decade old.