• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #58 - Stars & Sharks - 7:30PM

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our saviour is back tonight. :thumb:

Should we expect anything positive from this game.?

Lets Go Sharks!!!!!! :horn:

Demers, Kennedy out tonight

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow Brown,Burrish and Desi that's gotta be unfun to play against those guys

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, we have a Havlat sighting. 1-0 good guys.

Also from earlier in the game:

Heck of a glove save from Stalock and what a fucking hit by Brown.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumb: Sharks Win! :clap:

**** cough **** could this be what we've been waiting to see from Havlat? ****cough****

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i like the way the team reacted to Havlat getting that assist that could bode well for him and the team after the playoff debacle

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the way the team reacted to Havlat getting that assist that could bode well for him and the team after the playoff debacle

Until a quick burst of wind knocks him down or he pulls the groin lacing-up the skates...

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 2 points is nice, but:

1) PP still sucks
2) Not much from 1st line (and the Todd had Marleau and Thornton together). They were both out there butchering it defensively on the Dallas goal
3) Only 2 shots in the 3rd period?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, great to see havlat contribute positively for a change, but to be honest, neither play was particularly hard working, he was just given too much space. I still would love to move him so a couple more games like this and dougie might be able to get some value in return.

My big problem now is that the big dogs, and especially patty, is absolutely atricious. Patty had the puck and was turning the corner with a clear lane to the net and just inexplicably lost it off his stick. His pass on the 2 on 1 was terrible. He looks awful. Thankfully the break is coming, but I havent seen patty look this bad all year.

Boyle has gotta be demoted. He PP work is embarassing. Todd needs to mix it up to get some variety on the top 2 lines on the PP. I admire his desire the keep the same group going and letting them work it out, but I would love to see him take jumbo, patty, pavs, burns, and boyle and mix it up with wingels, nieto, Irwin, and vlasic. Maybe Jumbo-pavs-wingels-boyle-irwin then burns, patty,havlat, vlasic,braun. Whatever they go with, they gotta put some jolt into the big boys.

Stalock = starting goalie. Fuck nemo and his cup ring. He had one great year playing behind a stacked chicago line up. Stalock is dominating opponents and has given up maybe 1 or 2 bad goals all year (the two off the boackboards werent great). However, he is making key saves left and right. Make nemo the backup and make him re-earn the right to play. I dont see a downside to forcing nemo to work in practice and fight for playing time. Anytime a guy gets too comfy, it's bad news.

TGIO (olympics). This team soooo needs it.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, great to see havlat contribute positively for a change, but to be honest, neither play was particularly hard working, he was just given too much space. I still would love to move him so a couple more games like this and dougie might be able to get some value in return.

My big problem now is that the big dogs, and especially patty, is absolutely atricious. Patty had the puck and was turning the corner with a clear lane to the net and just inexplicably lost it off his stick. His pass on the 2 on 1 was terrible. He looks awful. Thankfully the break is coming, but I havent seen patty look this bad all year.

Boyle has gotta be demoted. He PP work is embarassing. Todd needs to mix it up to get some variety on the top 2 lines on the PP. I admire his desire the keep the same group going and letting them work it out, but I would love to see him take jumbo, patty, pavs, burns, and boyle and mix it up with wingels, nieto, Irwin, and vlasic. Maybe Jumbo-pavs-wingels-boyle-irwin then burns, patty,havlat, vlasic,braun. Whatever they go with, they gotta put some jolt into the big boys.

Stalock = starting goalie. Fuck nemo and his cup ring. He had one great year playing behind a stacked chicago line up. Stalock is dominating opponents and has given up maybe 1 or 2 bad goals all year (the two off the boackboards werent great). However, he is making key saves left and right. Make nemo the backup and make him re-earn the right to play. I dont see a downside to forcing nemo to work in practice and fight for playing time. Anytime a guy gets too comfy, it's bad news.

TGIO (olympics). This team soooo needs it.

A couple of things, where did havlat score his goal? Driving the net in traffic if it was pavelski you'd be screaming his praise how beat defenseman and his quick hands showed so much skill on the tip. Give Marty credit for going to the dirty areas to get that goal.

Where did the assist come from down by the side of the net with a defenseman charging also in the dirty area so once again give him credit. Most importantly havlat has been an outsider on this team all season long, the team rushed him to hug him after that goal, that's huge for overall team chemistry and we might see a better havlat from here on out.

Marleau wears 12 not 88 if your going to bash someone legitamitelly bash burns he's playing with Thornton and pavelski while marleau a playing with neito and hall huge difference In talent.

Pavelski is starting his normal
Disappearing act, however I suspect that to change with Logan and Ralphie coming back after the break because pavelski can go back down to the third line.

On Nemo wait and see how he is after the break, I love stalock but there's no book on him yet do it's to early to hand him the reins.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things, where did havlat score his goal? Driving the net in traffic if it was pavelski you'd be screaming his praise how beat defenseman and his quick hands showed so much skill on the tip. Give Marty credit for going to the dirty areas to get that goal.

Where did the assist come from down by the side of the net with a defenseman charging also in the dirty area so once again give him credit. Most importantly havlat has been an outsider on this team all season long, the team rushed him to hug him after that goal, that's huge for overall team chemistry and we might see a better havlat from here on out.

Marleau wears 12 not 88 if your going to bash someone legitamitelly bash burns he's playing with Thornton and pavelski while marleau a playing with neito and hall huge difference In talent.

Disappearing act, however I suspect that to change with Logan and Ralphie coming back after the break because pavelski can go back down to the third line.

On Nemo wait and see how he is after the break, I love stalock but there's no book on him yet do it's to early to hand him the reins.

Burns over a month now without a goal. Only one shot last night...early in the OT.

Thankfully the bottom lines came through last night and carried the team. I really like the 4th line energy.

So who gets sent packing when Ralphie, Coots, Kennedy all come back after the break? I am assuming Kearns for sure, maybe Sheppard, Brown at times, Nieto? Not enough space for all the forwards. At least this means absolutely no sign we will see John McCarthy return.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burns over a month now without a goal. Only one shot last night...early in the OT.

Thankfully the bottom lines came through last night and carried the team. I really like the 4th line energy.

So who gets sent packing when Ralphie, Coots, Kennedy all come back after the break? I am assuming Kearns for sure, maybe Sheppard, Brown at times, Nieto? Not enough space for all the forwards. At least this means absolutely no sign we will see John McCarthy return.

Bracken and Uriijah Hayes will get sent down and i guess Nieto. Which for Nieto is better for his long term development

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

On Marty: Dont get me wrong, I was happy with the skill play on the tip and the nice pass. Both were good skill plays. They were not dirty though. No Dman was near him on his goal, though there was one who came over to him on the second, but he did not have to fight through a check or work hard to create either goal. Great skill, no doubt, near the net for sure, but neither did he free himself through a battle. I hope this does spark him though and gets him going. If he stays on the team, the sharks will need him to contribute meaningfully.

On marleau: Yes, burnsie is struggling to put the puck in the net. Cant argue with that. He has gotten robbed a few times include again last night by a quick glove. That said, he is working hard, basically created nieto's #2 goal vs. philly and has been giving it the effort. Patty has not. He has been really soft of late and really struggling to control the puck. I dont know how much is laziness, how much is looking ahead to sochi, how much is just a general team malaise, but I've noticed a massive fall in his game. And it's not just EV, his PP work has been awful too. Nobody's stats are all that good recently, but patty's 1 points and -7 in the last 6 games stands out. They have given up 11 even strength goals in the last 6 games, and he has been on the ice for 8 of them. That's saying something. His last PP goal was december 27th, despite getting at least a minute of PP time every chance the sharks get that's probably Im not saying he is alone in his struggles, but Ive noticed an impressive difference.

On Pavelski: Dissapearing act? He is the only guy on the whole team who is scoring with any semblance of regularity. Yes, he only has one goal in the last 6 games, but the team only has 6 goals over that span, and he's only -1 over that time, so he hasnt been scored upon much. Going back 11 games, he has 8 goals and 11 points, while the whole team has only scored 21 goals. In other words he has been in on more than half of the goals for the whole team over the last month or so. Pavelski has probably been the most consistent player all year for the sharks. Hell hes been the POTM for the team 2 months in a row. What more do you want?

On Nemo: I agree on checking in after the break. That said, competition usually makes people better. Nemo was basically a rookie when he won the cup for chicago (3 GP the prior year doesnt count). He took over the starting job midyear from Huet and ran to a cup. It takes guts to bench an establish player, but I believe the best man wins, particularly when it comes to goaltending. If Stalock is hot, he's hot. If nemo comes back after break strong and stops giving up weak ones, then put him back in. Otherwise, go with your best/hottest player, pressure or not.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bracken and Uriijah Hayes will get sent down and i guess Nieto. Which for Nieto is better for his long term development

Hayes is already gone when Rubbish came back last night.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Marty: Dont get me wrong, I was happy with the skill play on the tip and the nice pass. Both were good skill plays. They were not dirty though. No Dman was near him on his goal, though there was one who came over to him on the second, but he did not have to fight through a check or work hard to create either goal. Great skill, no doubt, near the net for sure, but neither did he free himself through a battle. I hope this does spark him though and gets him going. If he stays on the team, the sharks will need him to contribute meaningfully.

On marleau: Yes, burnsie is struggling to put the puck in the net. Cant argue with that. He has gotten robbed a few times include again last night by a quick glove. That said, he is working hard, basically created nieto's #2 goal vs. philly and has been giving it the effort. Patty has not. He has been really soft of late and really struggling to control the puck. I dont know how much is laziness, how much is looking ahead to sochi, how much is just a general team malaise, but I've noticed a massive fall in his game. And it's not just EV, his PP work has been awful too. Nobody's stats are all that good recently, but patty's 1 points and -7 in the last 6 games stands out. They have given up 11 even strength goals in the last 6 games, and he has been on the ice for 8 of them. That's saying something. His last PP goal was december 27th, despite getting at least a minute of PP time every chance the sharks get that's probably Im not saying he is alone in his struggles, but Ive noticed an impressive difference.

On Pavelski: Dissapearing act? He is the only guy on the whole team who is scoring with any semblance of regularity. Yes, he only has one goal in the last 6 games, but the team only has 6 goals over that span, and he's only -1 over that time, so he hasnt been scored upon much. Going back 11 games, he has 8 goals and 11 points, while the whole team has only scored 21 goals. In other words he has been in on more than half of the goals for the whole team over the last month or so. Pavelski has probably been the most consistent player all year for the sharks. Hell hes been the POTM for the team 2 months in a row. What more do you want?

On Nemo: I agree on checking in after the break. That said, competition usually makes people better. Nemo was basically a rookie when he won the cup for chicago (3 GP the prior year doesnt count). He took over the starting job midyear from Huet and ran to a cup. It takes guts to bench an establish player, but I believe the best man wins, particularly when it comes to goaltending. If Stalock is hot, he's hot. If nemo comes back after break strong and stops giving up weak ones, then put him back in. Otherwise, go with your best/hottest player, pressure or not.

Everyone has been bad on pp lately. Lazy passes, fumbling the puck, trying to be too cute. Burns and Thornton were the guilty parties last night. No body gets a pass on the pp. All players have been awful there. I blame the Coffee Boy Baby Jay Woodcroft :). Isn't this his job?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I said he was starting his annual disappearing act, unless he gets dropped back down to the third line, that being said has marleau been lighting the world on fire no. But he hasnt been playing horrible, with pavelskis normal slide has he been bad No. He's just going to go into his normal 10 game drought like he does every season then score once every 4 or 5 games the rest of the way out but they will be multi point games.

Your simply dismissing Patties line mates as a non factor, sorry but its a huge factor when he went from playing with Couture and Havlat to Uriijah Hayes and Neito he's going to suffer, why? Because if you were an oppossing coach who are you going to key on? Neito? Hayes? No Marleau. Put Pavelski between those two and see what happens.

The guys baby sitting 2 rookies and pavelski is on the top line. big difference and stats reflect that. One other thing you might want to start paying attention to is when Pavelski is coming onto the ice, he very rarely is on the ice for a defensive zone face off and he tends to leave the ice before the puck is in the sharks zone. There are a lot of factors.

Just because there was no Dman near him doesnt mean its not a dirty area,those areas regardless if occupied currently or not are called dirty areas for a reason, because when a dman does eventually get there you will get smoked. And watch the replay on the GWG he was getting closed in on from the front of the net made a great handle while standing still on the defenseman and set up Wingels.