• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 Best War Movies vs. 5 Best Rewatchable War Movies

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I was talking about the original. I need to give a bit of a disclaimer, I do not watch many movies outside of documentaries, movies based on actual events, Mel Brooks/Monty Python style comedies and movies with Robert Duvall. But back to the question at hand, I saw it once in the theater ... IIRC it was the first movie I saw in a theater as an adult ... and it was a really good experience and I became a fan of Duvall. I do not think I am qualified to take a critic's stand on any cinematic aspect of movies, I just don't watch many of them and there is only four or five that I will watch a second time.

Uh-huh, sure you don't. And I'm a Shakespearean actor!!

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the movie, loved the experience and really came to admire Duvall's acting. I disagree with the anyone can be a critic because people like me cannot give a competent analysis of a film. I would bet that I average watching less than one movie for the first time every month or so.:suds:
Duvall deserved the Oscar for Kicking And Screaming

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh-huh, sure you don't. And I'm a Shakespearean actor!!

I never have been interested in movies. Part of it may be that we grew up on the poor side of life and going to movies were a luxury. The last movie that I have seen in a theater is Pearl Harbor and I have probably have not watched a movie within three years of its release since. It is just not in my wheelhouse.

I am the same way with television, Game of Thrones was the last series that I watched and started when season five rolled out. IF I am going to watch TV, it will be the History or Science Channel. The only show that I will make time for is Curse of Oak Island ... IMHO the treasure they find will not be gold in nature but rather proof of earlier transatlantic trips than we now believe.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stripes.....

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I love war movies. I've watched a lot of them. But not all war movies are created equally. And for me there is a separation between best war movies and war movies I love to watch over and over again.

So here's mine.

Top 5 War Movies of all Time

1. Band of Brothers
2. Patton
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Paths of Glory
5. Apocalypse Now

1. Full Metal Jacket
2. A Bridge Too Far
3. Black Hawk Down
4. Platoon
5. The Longest Day

Wasn't Band of Brothers a miniseries?

I would put Inglorious Bastards in there somewhere.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
American Sniper.
Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Blackhawk Down
Zero Dark Thirty

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Patton
A Bridge Too Far
Glory

Have to leave a lot of great movies off the list when the limit is 5!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Band of Brothers a miniseries?

I would put Inglorious Bastards in there somewhere.

It was a miniseries which, IMO, just a really long movie. Das Boot was something like 3 1/2 hours long. Band of Brothers was 10 hours long.

I loved everything about Inglorious Basterds except the last 15 minutes which really diminished the movie for me.

I don't care that it was violent. But wanton violence against indiscriminate people really isn't my bag. It was the reason I didn't much care for Killing Zoe, which Tarrantino wrote as well. He's one of my favorite directors but this is a huge flaw for him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, I watched the new Midway last night. Not a great movie by any stretch and their portrayal of the pilots was a little ridiculous at times. But I have to say it stayed pretty true to the real history in a way that I didn't expect. Lots of small details that they put in that were pretty cool.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a miniseries which, IMO, just a really long movie. Das Boot was something like 3 1/2 hours long. Band of Brothers was 10 hours long.

I loved everything about Inglorious Basterds except the last 15 minutes which really diminished the movie for me.

I don't care that it was violent. But wanton violence against indiscriminate people really isn't my bag. It was the reason I didn't much care for Killing Zoe, which Tarrantino wrote as well. He's one of my favorite directors but this is a huge flaw for him.
Part of me wouldn't mind rewatching The Pacific.

HBO also had a show on the Gulf War, but I forget what it was called. I thought that was pretty good too.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Escape
A Bridge too far
Original Midway
Platoon
Flight of the Wild Geese

Watchable over and over
Red Dawn-Original
Green Berets
Platoon
Kellys Héros

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me wouldn't mind rewatching The Pacific.

HBO also had a show on the Gulf War, but I forget what it was called. I thought that was pretty good too.

Generation Kill. It was pretty good.

The Pacific was good but the problem with it, at least as compared to Band of Brothers, was that it bounced around from different unrelated people. So you didn't have the sense of continuity. I understand why. There just wasn't a continuous story like there was for Easy company.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Escape
A Bridge too far
Original Midway
Platoon
Flight of the Wild Geese

Watchable over and over
Red Dawn-Original
Green Berets
Platoon
Kellys Héros

That is an interesting list certainly. You don't see a lot of people putting 1941 on any top 5 lists.

The original Midway was really pretty meh for me.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewatchable;

How tFuck did I forget this classic

tora.gif

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an interesting list certainly. You don't see a lot of people putting 1941 on any top 5 lists.

The original Midway was really pretty meh for me.

Stuff I can watch repeatedly is different. I like Belushi and it's a movie I can walk away from as easily. Bridge 2 far, great but long.