• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.14 smurfs @ FormerWinningTime (6:45pm PDT)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m not mistaken, our rookies have the last 6 Ribbies. That might be saying something, maybe not much though. :whistle:
Well, 5 of the Opening Day lineup for Sacramento is currently on the Giants' roster so that is bound to happen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn heading to the IL with forearm tightness...gets an MRI tomorrow.

He was shit anyway so no big loss.
Man, you are hard on the rookies. Winn sucks for 3 starts and you are done with him. Black falters in his first two big league starts and he needs to go down. Meanwhile, Snell sucks badly in his first 3 starts and you want him back in the rotation.
Hope Winn doesn't have to get TJ but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn's 1st 2 starts of the year weren't that great either - allowing a combined 7 runs in 11 IP (5.73 ERA) but only putting on 11 baserunners (7 hits and 4 walks - a 1.000 WHIP, pretty good). He was showing signs that he would improve. And indeed he did.
Starting April 12th, Winn rattled off 4 starts in a row where he allowed 2 or fewer runs while going 6 innings in 3 of them (5 in the other, the first start). All told, he posted a 1.96 ERA and a 0.957 WHIP in those starts.
Then came the last 3 starts - a horrible drubbing in Philadelphia where he failed to get out of the 1st inning (5 runs, 4 hits, 2 walks in 0.2 IP), followed by a poor start in Colorado (3.2 IP, 8 hits, 0 walks, 7 runs) and, of course, last night's game against the Dodgers.
The issue may be fatigue (what Winn thinks it is) or it could be forearm tightness (which could well result in Tommy John surgery, costing him the rest of this season and possibly half of 2025). Either way, I don't think he needs to be tossed, if healthy, from the rotation. Let him work out the problems as he showed some potential over 4 starts this year. Whether that is latter this month, or next year, I hope the Giants give him a continued chance to start for them.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, you are hard on the rookies. Winn sucks for 3 starts and you are done with him. Black falters in his first two big league starts and he needs to go down. Meanwhile, Snell sucks badly in his first 3 starts and you want him back in the rotation.
Hope Winn doesn't have to get TJ but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
Winn is terrible. Maybe he was injured, I don't know. He looks like a bullpen arm. Go all out for 2 innings, face nobody the third time. Maybe he becomes a starter next year but not now. Anyway, he's on the IL.

Black I have a lot of hope for. He needs to lengthen out, and not at the big league level. I think he will be a rotation piece, but not now.

Snell is a proven big league CY young arm. He's paid as such. Comparing Winn/Black to him is comparing iPhones to bowling balls. And FWIW, I want to dump Snell and punt the season. You want to bring Black up and let him learn at the ML level? Ok, I'm good with that. Just get rid of Snell/Forto/Chappy/Soler and let's commit to the rebuild.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn's 1st 2 starts of the year weren't that great either - allowing a combined 7 runs in 11 IP (5.73 ERA) but only putting on 11 baserunners (7 hits and 4 walks - a 1.000 WHIP, pretty good). He was showing signs that he would improve. And indeed he did.
Starting April 12th, Winn rattled off 4 starts in a row where he allowed 2 or fewer runs while going 6 innings in 3 of them (5 in the other, the first start). All told, he posted a 1.96 ERA and a 0.957 WHIP in those starts.
Then came the last 3 starts - a horrible drubbing in Philadelphia where he failed to get out of the 1st inning (5 runs, 4 hits, 2 walks in 0.2 IP), followed by a poor start in Colorado (3.2 IP, 8 hits, 0 walks, 7 runs) and, of course, last night's game against the Dodgers.
The issue may be fatigue (what Winn thinks it is) or it could be forearm tightness (which could well result in Tommy John surgery, costing him the rest of this season and possibly half of 2025). Either way, I don't think he needs to be tossed, if healthy, from the rotation. Let him work out the problems as he showed some potential over 4 starts this year. Whether that is latter this month, or next year, I hope the Giants give him a continued chance to start for them.
I think Winn might figure it out, but he shouldn't be in the rotation now, even if healthy.

The point is moot, he's joining half the team on the IL.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winn is terrible. Maybe he was injured, I don't know. He looks like a bullpen arm. Go all out for 2 innings, face nobody the third time. Maybe he becomes a starter next year but not now. Anyway, he's on the IL.

Black I have a lot of hope for. He needs to lengthen out, and not at the big league level. I think he will be a rotation piece, but not now.

Snell is a proven big league CY young arm. He's paid as such. Comparing Winn/Black to him is comparing iPhones to bowling balls. And FWIW, I want to dump Snell and punt the season. You want to bring Black up and let him learn at the ML level? Ok, I'm good with that. Just get rid of Snell/Forto/Chappy/Soler and let's commit to the rebuild.
We need to trade Bum now while he still has 1 year left on his deal and he is super affordable.

O wait, I posted that about 6 years ago. Sorry, it feels like we are in a time loop here…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Preaching to the choir brother.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to trade Bum now while he still has 1 year left on his deal and he is super affordable.

O wait, I posted that about 6 years ago. Sorry, it feels like we are in a time loop here
What is that word that people use about trying to do the same thing over and over again but expecting different results? It may be the label for this regime’s team building.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants now 6 games below .500 but they also have a -49 run differential. Only 3 teams have a worse run differential: White Sox, Rockies, and Marlins.