• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2B and SS - Howie Kendrick and Jimmy Rollins

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[NOTE: This thread is for the player and the position. We can talk about Howie and the long term plan for 2B, especially since he is only signed for one season. This is the first in threads like this one, which I will be making and bumping periodically. I will be making threads like this for pretty much every player/position that seems worth discussing. So, probably everyone except Adrian Gonzalez.]

First things first, let's get this out of the way:

Howie Kendrick is better than Dee Gordon.

Okay, it's been said. That Dee Gordon trade was phenomenal. Dodgers gave up Dee Gordon, a career minor leaguer with a partial season of experience (Miguel Rojas, who would've been in the minors for the Dodgers this season), and Haren + cost of Haren's contract.

How's Dan Haren doing? Haren Gives Up 3 Runs, Marlins Lose To Double-A Affiliate CBS Miami

What did the Dodgers get from that trade? Kikě Hernandez (will be in MLB this season, I would bet all my money on it), Austin Barnes (now one of the Dodgers' top prospects), Chris Hatcher (just got the first save of the season), and Andrew Heaney/Howie Kendrick. Unbelievable trade. The Dodgers turned one overrated second baseman and two worthless players into two young prospects, a solid reliever, and a better second baseman.

The thing is that Kendrick is only under team control for 1 year. So that's what brings us here. He'll be 32 this summer which means that he's reached the end of his prime. In my opinion, he's got a skill set that will age well. He's never been one to live off of pure athleticism or any other kind of God-Given talent. He's an intelligent hard-worker so I don't think he'll fade as much as others tend as they enter their mid-30s.

Also, this: The Most Quietly-Excellent Aspect of the Quietly Excellent Howie Kendrick | FOX Sports

What do you guys think? Should the Dodgers be thinking about locking down Kendrick beyong 2015? He doesn't seem to be a candidate for a qualifying offer.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to evaluate the options that are out there. And I'm not willing to give up Alex Guerrero quite yet. Honestly, Friedman has set the Dodgers up nicely in the infield with lots of options. If Kendrick has a solid year, demands a deal that is unreasonable, I think the Dodgers could easily adjust. But if Kendrick likes it in LA, performs and would accept a three year deal, worth taking a hard look at.

Similar to Jeff Kent, Craig Biggio, Ryne Sandberg etc - longevity is attainable at 2nd base. Not the most physically demanding position, players can survive in the National League into the mid to late 30's without the body breaking down and remain effective at the plate for an entire season. My point is, 35 or 36 years old does not scare me with a guy like Kendrick. However, Juan Uribe beyond 36 or 37 concerns me. Fourth of July 2016 should be Juan Uribe''s first entry into the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest at the Jersey Shore.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Howie has a good year (which he will), I would definitely want him back on a 3-4 year deal.

It's a long ways from now though.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to evaluate the options that are out there. And I'm not willing to give up Alex Guerrero quite yet. Honestly, Friedman has set the Dodgers up nicely in the infield with lots of options. If Kendrick has a solid year, demands a deal that is unreasonable, I think the Dodgers could easily adjust. But if Kendrick likes it in LA, performs and would accept a three year deal, worth taking a hard look at.

Similar to Jeff Kent, Craig Biggio, Ryne Sandberg etc - longevity is attainable at 2nd base. Not the most physically demanding position, players can survive in the National League into the mid to late 30's without the body breaking down and remain effective at the plate for an entire season. My point is, 35 or 36 years old does not scare me with a guy like Kendrick. However, Juan Uribe beyond 36 or 37 concerns me. Fourth of July 2016 should be Juan Uribe''s first entry into the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest at the Jersey Shore.

Per MLBTR:

Second Basemen

Joaquin Arias (31)
Mike Aviles (35)
Jeff Baker (35)
Gordon Beckham (29)
Emilio Bonifacio (31)
Asdrubal Cabrera (30)
Stephen Drew (33)
Kevin Frandsen (34)
Maicer Izturis (35) – $3MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Howie Kendrick (32)
Daniel Murphy (31)
Cliff Pennington (32)
Sean Rodriguez (31)
Skip Schumaker (36) – $2.5MM club option with a $250K buyout
Chase Utley (37) – $15MM vesting option with a $2MM buyout
Ben Zobrist (35)

Those are the current free agents for next winter and the age that they will be at that time.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, limited options. Hopefully it all works out with Kendrick.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, limited options. Hopefully it all works out with Kendrick.
Ben Zobrist is good, but he's getting older. He looks more like a super utility guy than an everyday 2B.

Also, remember that there's organizational depth with Olivera (hard to know for sure what position he will play, just look at Alex Guerrero), then Guerrero himself, Erisbel Arruebarrena (he's in Arizona right now, possibly learning new positions), and maybe even Darnell Sweeney will be ready to be a big league contributor.

Potential trade options:
Ian Kinsler, signed through 2017 with a team option for 2018.
Brandon Phillips, signed through 2017.
Omar Infante, signed through 2017 with a team option for 2018.

I'd take Howie over any one of those guys.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh, maybe I would've wanted Kinsler after all... Anyways, bumping this thread because Peraza was recalled and Utley has been the regular 2B. That makes 2B interesting.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I'm here, Chase Utley with the Dodgers (8/21 - 9/12):

xN5I5VL.png

Awesome.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley's still good to have, the way injuries have been going this year for the Dodgers, I woudn't be surprised if Kendrick's hamstring were to flare up again. Ton of hamstring issues this year, these guys not warming up or what?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I think it might just be the nature of baseball. So much time spent being still, then you need to suddenly explode into a sprint. Pure speculation.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From TBLA

Howie Kendrick and Jimmy Rollins continued to make progress in their return from their respective injuries, but there isn't yet a set timetable for the Dodgers opening day middle infield to return.

Kendrick got several at-bats against right-handed pitcher Steve Smith in a simulated game on the field before Tuesday's game against the Rockies, and will run on Wednesday before getting reevaluated.

"We haven't committed to anything beyond him running Wednesday," manager Don Mattingly said.

Kendrick last played for the Dodgers on Aug. 9, out since then with a strained left hamstring.

Rollins, who last played on Sept. 6 and is out with a bruised right index finger, too batting practice and fielding drills with the team on Tuesday, but manager Don Mattingly was sounded less certain of Rollins' role than he did over the weekend when he told reporters Rollins would be the starting shortstop once he is healthy.

Now, with Corey Seager hitting .432/.543/.676 in 11 games, the future is less clear for Rollins.

"We'll see. We'll use Corey. We have to give [Justin Turner] some days off. We're going to put the best lineup out there," Mattingly said. "Right now it's been day-to-day. We'll see where it goes from there."

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From TBLA

Howie Kendrick and Jimmy Rollins continued to make progress in their return from their respective injuries, but there isn't yet a set timetable for the Dodgers opening day middle infield to return.

Kendrick got several at-bats against right-handed pitcher Steve Smith in a simulated game on the field before Tuesday's game against the Rockies, and will run on Wednesday before getting reevaluated.

"We haven't committed to anything beyond him running Wednesday," manager Don Mattingly said.

Kendrick last played for the Dodgers on Aug. 9, out since then with a strained left hamstring.

Rollins, who last played on Sept. 6 and is out with a bruised right index finger, too batting practice and fielding drills with the team on Tuesday, but manager Don Mattingly was sounded less certain of Rollins' role than he did over the weekend when he told reporters Rollins would be the starting shortstop once he is healthy.

Now, with Corey Seager hitting .432/.543/.676 in 11 games, the future is less clear for Rollins.

"We'll see. We'll use Corey. We have to give [Justin Turner] some days off. We're going to put the best lineup out there," Mattingly said. "Right now it's been day-to-day. We'll see where it goes from there."

Whatever? "we'll put the best lineup out there" ya that lineup last night sucked, we were fortunate to win!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie Kendrick is back from the DL. The minor league seasons are just about over, so he can't do a rehab assignment. The Dodgers will be working him in to game action slowly, it seems.

Don Mattingly said:
"We have to get him back in. He's not going to play rehab games, so we're not just going to throw him out there every day. He's basically no restrictions. I know we do want to be careful with him, getting him back in there but not four or five games in a row."

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess Villian is wrong yet again!

Ive followed the Angels and i know that Kendricks is a solid second baseman, that being said, I hated this trade!

Of course before RYU got hurt I thought Haren was a solid 4-5 starter. You can't predict injuries, but still having Haren would have been huge.
As far as some guys opinion of Gordon being a career minor leaguer, really Villian, could you be any more "off base"? Gordon hit .300 his rookie year, he struggled at shortstop and he struggled at the plate over his next 400 at bats, but still continued to steal a high number of bases! Had a solid year last year with LA, and oh by the way won a batting title this year, when was the last time a dodger did that?

He also has become a very good defensive second baseman, actually had the 3rd best fielding %, the two guys ahead of him had waaaaay fewer chances! His range is also better than most!

I think Hatcher has some upside, Kiki is a pretty darn good utility type guy, Barnes a capable back up, but
in the end this was obviously not a good trade! We really could have used Haren, we have not had a legitimate leadoff guy all year, Gordon is a huge headache for other teams when he gets on! On top of the fact I think we had him for another 4 years, for far cheaper than Kendricks!

On the other hand I still like the Kemp trade, even though he knocked in 100 runs, something no Dodger did this year. I think a healthy Grandal will be a good catcher for us, plus I think Kemp was causing a lot of dugout turmoil

I'm sure some of you might disagree, but that's what I'm seeing, and the facts are in the numbers! Not some mumbo jumbo saber numbers that say well "if" this and this and that happens you can expect this and that to be true!

Last edited:

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That trade was AMAZEBALLS. And Haren is awful... come on.

Rollins is gone!! WOOOOOOO

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That trade was AMAZEBALLS. And Haren is awful... come on.

Rollins is gone!! WOOOOOOO

Well, evidently you are easily amazed!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SS is no longer a question for the Dodgers. Just 2B. I really like Peraza so the Dodgers have a nice internal option there.