• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

23 homers

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrew McCutchen Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - Pittsburgh Pirates - ESPN

I was worried that 20 homeruns might be more like a ceiling for him but now he's on pace for 25 and it makes you wonder if there might be a monster season coming up in a few years.
There's a slight dip in his BABIP. I wouldn't guess that it's statistically significant but at least it suggests that this can be viewed as a repeatable season. Three years with similar performance aside from the fact that some of his doubles and triples are now homeruns.

So what if he has a year where everything goes right? BABIP closer to .370 perhaps? Continued improvement in discipline allowing him to pick out a good pitch to drive with greater regularity?

Odds are he'll have one sooner or later. Of course it's just as likely that he'll have an unlucky year but I'd prefer not to dwell on that.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the amount of opposite field power he has. Never saw that coming, but if he played in a more homer friendly stadium for right handed batters, PNC Park is in the bottom 3, he could have 30+ homeruns regularly.

I wouldn't bet against him having one season with 30+, but he should be consistently 20 HR's. Next year he needs to get the average up, and I'd like to see some more triples, but can't get too greedy. I could see him going nuts one year with a 300/400/550 line, but I think the baseline is 285/375/475. It is amazing how consistent he has been in his years in Pittsburgh.

I think NW is poised for a big season next year, he has shown he can make solid contact and has enough discipline, I think the power will manifest itself next year.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During my recent trip to Pittsburgh, I had the opportunity to watch the Bucs on TV for several games. It appeared to me that Cutch was swinging from the heels most of the time. I know he's always had very quick hands at the plate, but it really did appear to me that he was trying to muscle up. My next thought was, perhaps that's a contributing factor when he goes into a slump..... trying too hard to hit home runs.

My next thought was, my opportunities to watch the Pirates in person or on TV are limited mostly to clips on BBTN or SC on ESPN..... and the few games I saw on Pittsburgh TV were a very small sample. Have any of you (who see the team more regularly) noticed Cutch going for the seats too much?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During my recent trip to Pittsburgh, I had the opportunity to watch the Bucs on TV for several games. It appeared to me that Cutch was swinging from the heels most of the time. I know he's always had very quick hands at the plate, but it really did appear to me that he was trying to muscle up. My next thought was, perhaps that's a contributing factor when he goes into a slump..... trying too hard to hit home runs.

My next thought was, my opportunities to watch the Pirates in person or on TV are limited mostly to clips on BBTN or SC on ESPN..... and the few games I saw on Pittsburgh TV were a very small sample. Have any of you (who see the team more regularly) noticed Cutch going for the seats too much?

He does take a big mash every now and then, but he is pretty good at doing it situationally, it isn't an overarching negative, IMO.

Slumps happen, no one avoids them, and changing your approach to avoid them will most likely make them worse.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does take a big mash every now and then, but he is pretty good at doing it situationally, it isn't an overarching negative, IMO.

Slumps happen, no one avoids them, and changing your approach to avoid them will most likely make them worse.

Thanks for sharing your observation, element.

Regarding your second paragraph, what's the difference between a hitter "making adjustments" and "changing his approach?"

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing your observation, element.

Regarding your second paragraph, what's the difference between a hitter "making adjustments" and "changing his approach?"

I would take "making adjustments" as a minor change, most likely mechanically with the swing, to correct a bad habit, or some kind of gimmick solution like taking the first pitch of an ab for a short period of time to get some confidence back.

I would take "changing approach" as a major change; mechanical, the way a hitters thinks in the box, etc, probably something Pedro Alvarez needs to do.

I'm sure others have their own view on those phrases though.