• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #21 - San Jose at Chicago - 4:00PM

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont think it will be that hard to unload Havlat... Im sure a team lacking scoring wouldnt mind picking him up.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Once Burns comes back lets wait till we past judgment on Havlat. I'm sure everything will open up, and the Sharks will excel again. Just hope :pray: Burns is back this week.

Burns will make a huge difference, it also gets Neito down to the AHL where he needs to be this year. Marty plays east west the staff wants him to all of sudden play a north south game, its not his strength. And you just dont change it overnight, hes kind of getting screwed but then again he doesnt help himself either lol.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With the discussion on Havlat.

Ottawa Senators searching for 6th forward | Senators | Sports | Ottawa Sun

According to a source, Murray has talked to the San Jose Sharks about acquiring right winger Martin Havlat. The former Senator recently returned from a pelvis injury and was playing on the team's third line until Friday, when coach Todd McLellan made him a healthy scratch.
Havlat, who has one year left on a contract that carries a cap hit of $5 million, also has a no-trade clause. But it's believed he would waive it to come to Ottawa, where he was drafted 26th overall by the Senators in 1999.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

hmmm... makes alot of sense given their ample cap space. Anything better than a mid rounder is a fine deal, though a 1st rounder would be nice, or 2 2nds (2014 and 2015). Something in that range sounds right or a pick and prospect like codi ceci would be nice.

I would be shocked if dougie gives him away for nothing. After all, the sharks dont have to ditch him and they wont want to hurt the O depth for a salary dump in a year like this where they clearly have a possible contender with torres and burns back. I would expect dougie to force some sort of overpay. Maybe Zibanejad can be had given his rather dwindling ice time and lack of production there.

Hopefully dougie can pull off a miracle...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would guess the Sharks will probably have to eat a good chunk of Havlat's salary if they want to get anything of value for him. A 3rd or 4th rounder and a B level prospect would be a good return and even that may be shooting for the moon.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would guess the Sharks will probably have to eat a good chunk of Havlat's salary if they want to get anything of value for him. A 3rd or 4th rounder and a B level prospect would be a good return and even that may be shooting for the moon.

desperate teams on the bubble have been known to overpay big time for guys like havlat with top 6 credentials. I wouldnt be surprised if NYR or OTT or some other bubble team like NJ or MTL get into a bit of a bidding war if dougie can play off 'em. As much as he has struggled, he's not that old at 32, not that expensive at 5M for just one more year, and not that far from big numbers as he put in 45 pts in 79 gms the last two years with SJ. That's no super production, but it's also not that bad. There will be teams that will look at that as a legit possibility for a top 6 forward and will pay accordingly...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

what are the chances they get Milan back?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not to mention dougie is dealing from a position of strength. His team is amongst the best in the league right now and he knows he has two legit forwards on the shelf who should be back within a month or two fully healthy and ready to go for the stretch. He can just as easily keep havlat for depth. Its a waste of 5M of valuable cap space, but it's not like the team is stinking it up every night and he has to make a desperation play for help in a certain position.

When dealing from Dougie's perspective, he can be extremely patient while the teams in the middle of pack duke it out and fight desperately to stay in PO contention. Those teams find themselves in much dire straits, knowing they need top 9 forward help to make the playoffs. top 9 forwards dont grow on trees and waiting until jan or feb around the deadline could definitely come back to haunt those teams because:

a. PO teams will be competing for top 9 help as well.
b. there usually are only 5 or 6 clear sellers and those teams tend to lack a ton of top 9 talent.
c. getting help for just the last 25 to 30 games may not be enough for the bubble teams to make the PO's.

As such, waiting could increase demand, decrease supply, and be too little too late anyways, so it pays for those teams to fight hard to get top 9 guys now if they have the cap space (saving space being the key advantage to waiting until the deadline). I suspect dougie knows this and is in no rush to ditch havlat as his presence isnt hurting the team, per se, and dealing him for a pittance doesnt particularly help other than freeing space for a deadline deal or next year's cap. I would expect dougie would want a top notch prospect or a package of several solid picks and/or prospects, something like the deals for clowe and murray though possibly even better since havlat is signed an extra year and isnt just a rental.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
what are the chances they get Milan back?

I was actually thinking this but it makes no sense for ottawa. They lack scoring depth and replacing milan with havlat does nothing to help their needs. The sharks would have to add in another forward and I can't see who that would be other than maybe nieto, which makes little sense for either club since nieto is no top 6 forward right now and it hurts the sharks future, something they need to be building. Kennedy isnt going and neither is torres or any of the big 5 (burns, jumbo, patty, pavs, cooch) or Hertl.

I cannot envision any deal that really makes sense involving milan.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was actually thinking this but it makes no sense for ottawa. They lack scoring depth and replacing milan with havlat does nothing to help their needs. The sharks would have to add in another forward and I can't see who that would be other than maybe nieto, which makes little sense for either club since nieto is no top 6 forward right now and it hurts the sharks future, something they need to be building. Kennedy isnt going and neither is torres or any of the big 5 (burns, jumbo, patty, pavs, cooch) or Hertl.

I cannot envision any deal that really makes sense involving milan.

Eh milans got 12 pnts on the year and only 3 goals, i dont see it as that much of a stretch. Milan is more north /south and the sens game is more east/west it could work

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm... makes alot of sense given their ample cap space. Anything better than a mid rounder is a fine deal, though a 1st rounder would be nice, or 2 2nds (2014 and 2015). Something in that range sounds right or a pick and prospect like codi ceci would be nice.

I would be shocked if dougie gives him away for nothing. After all, the sharks dont have to ditch him and they wont want to hurt the O depth for a salary dump in a year like this where they clearly have a possible contender with torres and burns back. I would expect dougie to force some sort of overpay. Maybe Zibanejad can be had given his rather dwindling ice time and lack of production there.

Hopefully dougie can pull off a miracle...

:hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope:
(and that's becuase they only allow 7 images).