• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Patriots Draft Thread

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more. Reif and Anderson are still here and both didn't play in 2023. They've had a yer too heal and get familiar with the team. Anderson might be ready to take the LT spot and he re-did his contract. Might be a little under the table agreement that will never be known.

Looking forward to the Mandatory Mini Camp coming up. Fans can't attend, but the media will be watching and like it or not, will be our only source of info.

I give the Patriots an A- for this draft. They drafted for need. QB, OT, WR. Then backfilled the OT, WR AND QB.

QBs by mid August could be Brissett, Maye and Milton unless they PS Milton and keep Zappe.
They also have Rouke on the roster. I could see one or both Zappe and Rouke gone.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more. Reif and Anderson are still here and both didn't play in 2023. They've had a yer too heal and get familiar with the team. Anderson might be ready to take the LT spot and he re-did his contract. Might be a little under the table agreement that will never be known.

Looking forward to the Mandatory Mini Camp coming up. Fans can't attend, but the media will be watching and like it or not, will be our only source of info.

I give the Patriots an A- for this draft. They drafted for need. QB, OT, WR. Then backfilled the OT, WR AND QB.

QBs by mid August could be Brissett, Maye and Milton unless they PS Milton and keep Zappe.
We play Milton in preseason and trade him to a team who got to see their QB flounder?????

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Milton pick has that Cunningham vibe from last year IMO
To me it felt more like RGIII and Kirk Cousins back 12 years ago. The first cost huge draft capital for a high ceiling, the second to hedge the first bet a bit.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play Milton in preseason and trade him to a team who got to see their QB flounder?????
I don't think so. Milton may be a project, but he and Maye have similar qualities.

Both are big dudes with big arms that can throw on the run or gain yards on the ground. I think Brissett gets the start but when Maye takes over, inevitably, but Milton is the prime back up that doesn't require any changes in the offense or scheme.

Just a larger catch radius by the WR's.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Milton Ben roethlisberger or Cam Newton?
A smarter Cam???

Young Cam...???

drunk jack nicholson GIF by hoppip

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1: The number of sacks that both Caedan Wallace and Layden Robinson allowed last season. Each offensive lineman selected by New England gave up just a single sack in 2023. Both players kept clean sheets for most of the season.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
85: The number of yards quarterback Joe Milton threw a football as a freshman in high school. At his first 7-on-7 camp, Milton was part of a throwing competition. He beat the next best quarterback by 15 yards

As a freshman.

A HIGHSCHOOL freshman.

Mac Jones still can't do that unless you spot him 20 yards.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. Milton may be a project, but he and Maye have similar qualities.

Both are big dudes with big arms that can throw on the run or gain yards on the ground. I think Brissett gets the start but when Maye takes over, inevitably, but Milton is the prime back up that doesn't require any changes in the offense or scheme.

My understanding is both lose accuracy when not squaring up. Throwing on the run in college is one thing the windows are a lot bigger. Throwing in the NFL on the run can get you burned. Both will need to learn to make the effort to square up then throw, at least the need to beat into them that is the preference.

I think more Cam with a more reasonable hat selection

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all I grade this draft a B. Could have been A- if we had taken a guy that played LT in college.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I'm assuming is the hopeful plan as well. But if Milton develops into something and gets some opportunity to show off he could possibly used as a trade chip next season or the one after.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Milton pick has that Cunningham vibe from last year IMO
Agree, could see him used as a gaget type QB if he makes the roster. Big kid who can chuck it a country mile and run like Forrest Gump. Could really give defences something to think about if they go two QB set.

Do Van Pelt and Mayo use more gadget plays than BB did?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is both lose accuracy when not squaring up. Throwing on the run in college is one thing the windows are a lot bigger. Throwing in the NFL on the run can get you burned. Both will need to learn to make the effort to square up then throw, at least the need to beat into them that is the preference.

I think more Cam with a more reasonable hat selection
Mahomes says hold my beer.

Not that I endorse this, but I saw tape of Maye improvising and throwing on the run left handed.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm assuming is the hopeful plan as well. But if Milton develops into something and gets some opportunity to show off he could possibly used as a trade chip next season or the one after.

Same thing was said about Zappe. Hopefully this one pans out.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul went #55
Wallace #68

two other OTs went before Goncalves who went at #79 both were past injury concerns. I liked Goncalves pre draft. He played both LT and RT and some say he could switch to G.

Wallace was the best OT taken at that time. Unfortunately, he had little to no LT expirence.
We could have taken him with our second pick

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, could see him used as a gaget type QB if he makes the roster. Big kid who can chuck it a country mile and run like Forrest Gump. Could really give defences something to think about if they go two QB set.

Do Van Pelt and Mayo use more gadget plays than BB did?
To be a dual threat you need to be able to pass. In the NFL passing isn't just passing and takes tons of reps weekly to prepare for game time... with those reps needing to be prioritized for the starter. Cunningham was a hope.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be a dual threat you need to be able to pass. In the NFL passing isn't just passing and takes tons of reps weekly to prepare for game time... with those reps needing to be prioritized for the starter. Cunningham was a hope.
Agree. That's why I said as a gadget guy. Take the snap, line up in the backfield, line up in the slot or outside, Sweeps, laterals...

He's got a cannon and can run. He was clocked on a TD run at 21mph.

Just saw footage of him throwing an orange 100 yards FWTW? An orange but still impressive.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That's why I said as a gadget guy. Take the snap, line up in the backfield, line up in the slot or outside, Sweeps, laterals...

He's got a cannon and can run. He was clocked on a TD run at 21mph.

Just saw footage of him throwing an orange 100 yards FWTW? An orange but still impressive.
But NFL defenses are prepared for that stuff. Jules was effective as a gadget guy because he was always on the field. With Milton they could send receivers long and open up some running space, sure, but the D won't be surprised by a pass - receivers will be covered.